Enough is Enough, possible to train?

milos_mommy

Don't know if this belongs here or in Training, but i'm putting it here...

Milo likes the pool. He likes the pool a lot. As in, he would swim until he drown if we let him. He swims until when we finally manage to get him out of the pool, he's shaking, vomitting up pool water, and sometimes collapses when he tries to stand. Yet if we let go of him, he gets one last burst of energy to jump back into the pool.

My question is: is it possible to teach him that when he gets tired, it's time to get OUT of the pool? That way, I won't have to wrangle him out and listen to him whine and scream while we drag him away?

Yesterday he was definately too tired to swim, but my brother and some friends were in the pool and Milo heard them splashing and playing, and threw a fit and a half. Crying, racing around, screaming to go outside, scratching me, being a PITA. I just totally ignored him.

Overdoing it makes him tired and cranky and not fun to be around. He gets snippy with Benji (though I'm super proud of him for running away from fights) and whiny and uptight. It's going to drive me insane all summer...

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Can you try making loud, high pitched, sharp sounds when he's inside crying to go out in the pool? Then praising him when he's quiet?

IMO, if he won't get out of the pool when told, he doesn't need to get in the pool without a long lead on untill he learns that the pool is YOURS. YOU tell him when to get in. YOU tell him when to get out.

If he was my dog, I wouldn't let him get in the pool till he's run through a few obedience commands and then you give him a release command to "Go swim!"
I would teach him a "Pool" command, and "Out" command.

You could teach the "Out" command just like you would teach a "Drop it" command. Call him to you (you might have to use a long line for a while) and say "Out, out, out, out" in a praise voice. Then release him by saying "Pool!" and let him go back into the pool. Then maybe 5 minutes later repeat what you just did. Even use treats if you like.

maxtressus

I like what Lizmo said. It should be a privilege for him to swim. Temptation training in a way. Not allowing him to get in until you say he can. Then use the same training to get him out. If your pool isn't too big I would use a long leash.

Does he have any easy way to get out of the pool? For instance, the built in metal stairs so you can walk out, or the ladder type stairs?

milos_mommy

Our pool has stairs he can easily get in and out by himself...

*smacks forehead* Lizmo...you're a genius. I'm so dumb...I don't know why I didn't think of teaching him "pool" and "out" on command...

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I don't know how you would teach that..i would only know to put him in a down stay and make him understand that he is there until he is free to go and that doesn't help much. THat's a shame.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
It's a high drive issue. He has high drive for the pool like some dogs have high drive for a ball. He needs to learn self control.

Start with doing some obedience near the pool - as close as you can get without him getting overstimulated. Work on him focusing on you, work on stays. Gradually get closer to the pool. When he can be fairly close to the pool without being worked up, start adding some distractions - people in the pool. You'll probably need to go back to quite a bit of distance.

Also train him to get out of the pool on command the same way people train dogs to release a toy on command.

Members online

No members online now.