I don't know how to handle this...

anna84

So when I first posted here I talked a little about my mini Aussie copper.

"Copper is the oldest and mine. I've had him since middle school and I've never done anything worthy of the devotion he has for me."

Well uhm this morning my sister called and she sounded kind of funny. She told me that she had had a hard time waking him up this morning and that he wasn't in any pain but just seemed really lethargic. She sounded pretty scared. Coppers 13 or 14 we got him so long ago I can barely remember, I think I was in elementary school at the time.

I thought I was prepared for this you know being all rational and saying he had a good life and hes an older dog. Well obviously I was full of s*** and lying to myself cause I am not handling this well. I was supposed to call tonight and see how he was doing but I can't do it. I'm crying and being stupid and selfish but I just cannot call home to see how my dog is doing.

I've never lost a dog before and if it happens I don't know how to handle this. what do you do?

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
You are not being selfish. You are afraid of losing your beloved childhood dog. There's a difference. We've all been there and we understand how you feel and I know there are no words to really console you in those feelings. Even when you are "prepared" it doesn't mean it's easy. It never is. But remember one thing: it is because he brought you joy and you brought him joy that it hurts. They do take a piece of us with them when they leave, it's true, but they also leave a piece of themselves behind in our hearts. When you lose someone you love, mourning is always ok. We don't mourn for what we don't love.

anna84

Thank you for that. God everything could be fine when I call in the morning. Lol i thought I would take this better, and look the possiblity has me dripping mascara down my face I prolly look like a crazy person. Dammit they really should stay with you forever it isn't right they don't live as long as we do.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Listen, an old dog doesn't mean we don't hurt. In fact, it's just the opposite. Earlier this year, I lost a cat at age 21. I kept telling myself that I should be grateful that I had this guy in my life seeing me thru so much for so long, far longer than most. Did it make it easier? No! It is OKAY to feel the way you do.

I agree. I've lost MANY pets, and it's ALWAYS hard. Your first is no acception.

It's ok to cry, you NEED to cry. It's the best way to release what you're feeling inside.

I personally would call to see if he's alright. Even though you are avoiding it, that's not what you want to do. If he passed away and you didn't know it because you were too afraid to call, you'd never forgive yourself.
I've been in the same situation. I'm glad I knew, because I never would have had closer.

I hope he'll be okay. My prayers are with you

Staff online

Members online