will my 1 yr old sheltie have to be on royal canin forever

i took her to vet with bladder infection she had the cyrstals in her urine that turn into kidneystones so we are on this food will she have to be on it forever or is there a bland food for her that would be better also i bought her some frezze dried white chicken breast she just gets a little everyday
is this bad for her no way could i feed her hills science percription dog treats like my vet said can anyone help me

Melissa_W

Which Royal Canin diet is she on? Did the vet say what was causing the kidney stones?

showpug

This really is a question for your vet. It's important not to add ANYTHING to a special Rx diet unless your vet tells you so, otherwise you can throw the balance off and make the diet ineffective.

we were on canidae she had bladder infection then they found crystals the ones that form into kidney stones we are on royal canin urinary so- 13 its onlt 13% protein and grains the 4th ingredient is ckicken meal is that to far down to have alot of it in i just think the ingredients stink so iam upset but i guesse it alot bette than hills percription dieet at leat my food is naturaaly preserved

showpug

we were on canidae she had bladder infection then they found crystals the ones that form into kidney stones we are on royal canin urinary so- 13 its onlt 13% protein and grains the 4th ingredient is ckicken meal is that to far down to have alot of it in i just think the ingredients stink so iam upset but i guesse it alot bette than hills percription dieet at leat my food is naturaaly preserved
I don't blame you for wanting to feed something else! Prescription diets usually have very poor quality ingredients. You may want to call your vet and ask if you can try a different food?

i just called my vet they told me at the end of june when she has her urine tested if theres no cyrstals i can put her on a different food they didnt tell me that before so i feeel better but we were on canidae i guesse thats not good for her i dont know what to give her something first ingredient meat and other ingredients natural what food would that be ill havae to search thanks

You can contact companies and ask them what urine ph their foods produce. Ask your vet what you should be looking for and between now and June you can research foods.

Herschel

You should switch foods after your vet says it's OK.

There are a few things that you could do to help your dog's urine pH based on the type of stones that formed. (For example, Fromm makes Cranberry and Liver treats that would presumably acidify the urine pH. However, depending on the type of stone, acidic urine could just make the problem worse)

i really cant find anything that leads me to a dog food to try one place it said i need low in phorphorus low in salt low in purines what food would that be ???

iam afraid to talk to my vet i wanted to try and find a food and show him they only beleive in science diet not feeding her that

SwampBug

Take a look at the Blue Buffalo website... their food is AWESOME!!!! I SWEAR BY IT! I really think that it has everything thta you are looking for & it has a 100% moneyback guarantee... if it doesn't work out for you, then you can take it back to the store for a full refund.. NO questions asked, so you have NOTHING to lose by trying it :) :D :cool: ;)
http://bluebuff.com

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Never seen a blue buffalo food for kidney stone issues, so I'm not so sure that is what the OP is looking for.

You very much have something to loose trying the wrong food as the stones may reoccur and quickly if you choose badly. The satisfaction guarantee doesn't exactly cover that part..

iam going to ask my vet if fromms 4 star white fish and potatoe will be good i have done research and all their phophorus, magnesium, are on the low side so hopefully this will be good its a 5 star rated food i can get it shipped free from dent minn what do you guys think about the food anyone use it thanks

Members online