Old dog, New "trick"

Niko

My 7 year old lab has suddenly taken up the habit of doing her "business" (both kinds) in the same exact spot of our tiled TV room. She's never had a problem before( in her whole life she had only soiled herself one, on her first day home), but now this has been going off and on for a few months. It has become even more frequent of late. Her diet has not changed, no furniture was moved, and I have thoroughly cleaned the spot (as I've read the smell can make dogs do it in the same spot over and over again). If anyone has any help or information on why this is happening or how I can fix this problem, it would be much appreciated.

lizzybeth727

I'd just prevent her from getting to that spot. You can teach her to stay on her bed or in a specific place while you're in the TV room with her, and make sure that she doesn't go in there unattended. Either she'll stop the behavior alltogether, or she'll pick a new spot to potty, in which case you'll get some clues as to why she's doing this beahvior.

wdlmj

I have had a similar problem with my dog, Sammy (see my post about housetrained dog now peeing in the house). In my case, I am pretty sure the problem was triggered by bringing another dog into the house. Our daughter brought her dog over a couple of times and suddenly Sammy starts going in the house. Just a suggestion, but maybe your problem is a result of a similar situation.

We have since prohibited the other dog from coming into the house (they still visit outside) and cleaned the spot thoroughly. So far, so good.

hope this helps.

Members online

No members online now.