The "mistakes" regarding your dogs breed thread

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Collie.
Not miniature collie. Not baby collie. Just collie.

Border collie is another common one, that one I can sort of understand. Sort of.

Keechak

Aussie Obssessed
Obviously people frequently like to say "G'day mate" to my dogs when I tell them what breed they are, I don't always correct them about them being an American breed.

DenoLo

Oh god, Lucy's most often is coyote. She's guessed to be a coyote more than she's guessed to be any dog breed. We've also gotten Shiloh shepherd very often. And let's see, Wolfdog, German Shepherd, African Wild Dog, Belgian Shepherd. When they ask and I give my opinion I just get dubious glances :p

Lola's mix is pretty easily guessed and people don't seem to have any trouble accepting it.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Pitbull, bulldog, mastiff puppy, puggle...

Largely people don't believe she's pure pug because "purebred pugs cannot be that skinny"

Ooooh! Ooooo! I did one time have someone ask if Gambit was a koolie. Its actually the best guess I've heard so far. Strangely, no one ever guesses bc

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I almost feel left out... we don't get any crazy guesses, but I kind of wish we did so that I had funny stories to tell! People almost always know that Rowan is a Brittany which surprised me since they're not super common around here. Otherwise they guess springer spaniel (which makes sense to me, since he's a big feathery spotted dog with a docked tail) or they just ask what he is, no guessing.

The most "outlandish" I've gotten with Riff is the pet store employee who guessed collie mix, and even then it's not really out there. He does have kind of a pointy face :p Not collie narrow, but still, and he did specify mix. When people ask I tell them either pointer mix or pointer/Aussie and either way they kind of look at him and go "yup, that's exactly what he looks like."

Not once have I ever had anyone argue over breed with me! Rowan is funny looking for a Brittany and they still either nail it or accept it when I tell them. I want someone to tell me that Riff has to be a coydog because he has yellow eyes, or insist that Rowan is a giant Cavalier!

I get Catahoula ALL the time for both of mine, I think it's the most common guess. After that people think Cattle dog which I'm always confused by because usually the people that guess that have or know ACD's and can't tell that Cattle dogs aren't merle.

Other than that some of the repeats have been Greyhounds, whippets, JRT's, coyote and a lot of confused looks.

No one ever has argued with me really, I know people think I just made up the breed often but they don't push it. Honestly, usually people just pretend they know what I'm talking about and go "Oh, yeah."

OH! But I did have someone ask once if Traveler was a smooth BC at a trial and one person ask me if they were Kelpie mixes.

Flyinsbt

Zinga doesn't get guesses, she gets "what.. What is she?". I always thought she'd get mistaken for a smooth coat border, but she never does.
Because people don't know that BCs come in smooth. Seriously, if a BC is not rough-coated and black & white, nobody knows what it is. I got asked what this was when I was walking him around a dog show once (I showed him in obedience):

At an agility trial, I was asked what this dog was, and told he looked almost like a Staffordshire Bull Terrier:

At a weight pull, I was getting this dog out of the back of my truck, turned around with her tucked under one arm, and some guy passing by said "Oh, a Rottweiler!"

(to be fair, that weight pull was in the parking lot of a Wal-Mart)

I don't really expect people to recognize my dogs for what they are, but the options they come up with are sometimes very bizarre.

Pintage

Mountain Dawg
People take one look at Circus and ask, "Blue heeler and...?" That's the ONLY guess I've gotten so far; I live in an area where there just isn't a wide variety of dog breeds, anything that isn't the typical pitbull/lab-mix or Chihuahua-mix garners a lot of attention.

Lugia gets a lot of interesting guesses, mostly Borzoi, greyhound, Saluki, one person even asked me if she was a Border collie x whippet -- I can kinda see why they'd think that!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
The best two are still:

1. Sugar gliders.

2. Chinchillas

Yup that's what we think about that one.

DSC_1676 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

We get pomeranian and chihuahua quite a lot. After that the next most common guess is probably 'toy collie' or 'toy border collie'. Occasionally sheltie or cavalier. I get asked if they're designer dogs a LOT. What mix are they? I've gotten pekignese a few times. One lady argued and argued with me that they looked like shih tzu mixes. She would NOT let it go and kept acting like I was a moron. Because you know this is totally the same as my dogs:

I don't even bother correcting 'chihuahua' anymore unless people ask.

MicksMom

Except for when he was at that stage where Golden and yellow Lab puppies look very similar, every one pretty much knows what Caleb is. Well, except for the time some kids told me they had a Pitbull that looks just like mine.

BUT- something happened when I was a kid that has you ALL beat. Our tri colore Nubian goat was stomped on by my Dad's Quarter Horse. While we were sitting in the waiting room at the vet with the goat, someone asked us what kind of dog he was. :lol-sign:

My boss has a "renaissance bull dog" or something like that. She's hairy and bulldoggy, but not built like Pip. I shall start calling her a hairy pitbull and see what her owner thinks! :)
I actually only started using it after I was walking him one day and a we came around a corner and startled a dude who said, WHOA, IT'S A LONG HAIRED PIT BULL as he was backing away in apparent horror. :p

Members online

No members online now.