Rottweiler

Athebeau

1. are rottweilers good with people/ and children: As every one mentioned, it depends on how well they are socialized. Rottweilers do have a high prey drive, and I have one that goes into predatory drift over children if they start running and playing. I rescued my Rottweiler when she was about 1 year old...she was not socialized before I got her...I have never been able to have her around children as she stalks them like prey objects. She would have been euthanized if I hadn't taken her. I also have a few clients who had to give their Rotties up to the rescue centre due to problems with children. Some people thought that the games of chase between children and Rottie were fun and safe...until the dog matured and the game became hunting. You need to have rules in the house depending on the individual dog...there are many extremes.

2.are they easy to train: Yes, they are very easy to train. They are a quick dog that catches on very easiley to commands. I throughly enjoyed training my Rottweiler as she enjoyed training and it was a joy to watch her go through the paces.

3. i was told that they never will turn on there on family unless they are constantly hit and abused is this true? If you have no rules in the household and are the most easy going person in the world you could create a monster. Most dogs will act defensively when abused, but, they can also be dangerous if they have no rules. We had one family at the Vet clinic thinking of putting their Rottweiler down as it wouldn't let anyone move in the house. If the Rottie was on the couch no one could get on the couch. It guarded it's food, the doorways and had attacked the husband a few times and the final straw was when it attacked one of their children. This family was mild mannered, sweet never talked loudly to the dog...and certainly never abused the dog...they let the dog away with every thing,they created an unpredictable dog for being too easy going. The Vet found someone (a single man) to take the dog (it was a lovely dog)...the dog under this mans care is now the sweetest dog...he has rules in the household and the dog knows it's boundries. You need rules for all dogs. ;)

4. on a scale of 1 to 10 where would you rank there stength 1 being the lowest and ten being the highest.
10. Easy to train
9. Loveable
8. Great companions
7. Easy to care for coat
6. compact enough that you can take them any where with you

I would say their worst trait is thier high prey drive...and the fact that they have the full series of motor patterns which can make them dangerous in the wrong hands. There are of course many Rottweilers that do not have the full series of motor patterns they were orginally bred for. One breeder I know has been trying to breed against some of the predatory sequences.

DogLover4

what about dobermans how do they compare to rottweilers and does anybody know of any breeders in ontario.. preferably near london ontario.

bubbatd

I love the "Carl" books !!! Did you know they were originally about a Golden, but to help awareness of Rotties, they went that way ?

filarotten said:
Dog lover4...remember this. There are two types of rotties. The german(the original) and the american(more watered-down version) The german rottie which I perfer is more protective and you do have to socialize them more and they do not love everybody. However the people they do love they adore. Even certain strangers they will like immediately. The people they do not, if you teach them well, they will mind you and follow your instructions. I have always told Roxie its ok. She knows to chill even if she does not like someone. (She likes women more than men) She went thru my window after a man when she was about one. He was in our backyard and on our deck. I was alone and he had no business being there. I am surprised at the people saying their purebred rotties like everyone. All my friends and family that have had one. their rotties did not like everyone. but were trained to respect and abide by the rules. My husbands grandmother had a male (german)that weighed over 185 lbs. he loved her and no-one could get near her without her ok. He was so big when he died last year they had to get a forklift to bury him in her backyard. He was strong as an ox, and gorgeous. BTW Rotties love to watch tv. mine and hbby's grandmothers both watched and now Brutus(fila puppy) does too. so cute. If you get one and it does growl at you look at it and say, oh stop.....you will then get kisses. Just do not let their size intimidate you. Stay on top,and you will have the most loving and willing to please dog you have ever had. Do not abuse one though. But you do have to be firm when they are puppies. They can be terrors. Roxie was for awhile. They are too smart for their own good when they are young. They will also understand anything you say to them if you take the time to get to know them and talk to them alot.

There aren't any distinctive types of Rottweilers, and only one factor determines whether a Rottweiler is 'American' or 'German' - their place of birth. Rottweilers born in America are American Rottweilers just as people born in America are called Americans. Dogs born in Germany are German Rottweilers. Earth shattering, mind boggling stuff, huh? How can that be, you ask?

Here's how. The breed standard that the American Kennel Club (AKC) has established for Rottweilers is extremely similar (almost identical) to that of the Allgemeiner Deutscher Rottweiler-Klub (ADRK aka the Rottweiler Club of Germany). The only inconsistency between the two standards is the height allowance. The AKC's standard is a few centimeters different than that set by the ADRK.

The major difference between dogs bred in the US and those produced in Germany results from the fact that the ADRK is very selective about which dogs are *allowed* to reproduce, i.e. dogs have to pass certain physical and temperamental requirements before the owners can breed them. Although ethical American breeders follow similar guidelines, the vast majority of people who breed Rottweilers are high risk breeders who are either ignorant of the fact that a breed standard exists or simply do not care whether or not their dog falls within the standard. The indiscriminant breeding by these Americans produces Rottweilers who do not conform to the standard and who are highly inferior to those bred by American Code of Ethics breeders and especially German ADRK members.

While ethical breeders from each country probably have certain traits or aspects of their dogs that they prefer to enhance through breeding, the similarity of the breed standards for each country keeps these breeders in check and demands that they breed dogs who are within the standards established for the breed. If one were to take a Rottweiler born to an American Code of Ethics breeder and put it side by side with a Rottweiler born in Germany to an ADRK breeder, most people would be unable to tell which dog was born in Germany and which dog was born in America. Unless, of course, the dogs were facing away from the observer, then one could quickly determine which dog was born in Germany because tail docking is now banned in most European countries.

In summation while there are individuals in several countries who breed Rottweilers there is still only one breed or type of Rottweiler and that dog is called a Rottweiler. So the next time you take your Rottweiler for a walk around the block, and someone asks you if your dog is American or German, you can reply with confidence that your dog is ________ (fill in country of birth) because your dog was born in _________, or you can really throw 'em for a loop like I do when I tell them my dog is a Texas Rottweiler. :)
;)

Amstaffer

DogLover4 said:
I know this topic had already probably been made before but i just have a few questions that i would really apreciate if some rottweiler owners could answer for me

1. are rottweilers good with people/ and children

2.are they easy to train

3. i was told that they never will turn on there on family unless they are constantly hit and abused is this true?

4. on a scale of 1 to 10 where would you rank there stength 1 being the lowest and ten being the highest.

thank you
I used to own Rotts before I became "Amstaffer" :p

1. Rotts are great with there family members and friends. With socialization they can be good with most strangers (One male I had would lift his leg on this one guy I new..he just had the guy) When in a car or house they will bark and growl like they are killers even though they aren't.

2. My Rotts were pretty easy to train, very willing to please.

3. I had 3 Rotts in my life and they never "Turned" I would have trusted them with my life.

4. Strength? Not sure what you mean here because I haven't seen them in much weight pulling (This is mostly Malamutes and Pits) But if your talking about raw power I would put them 8-9ish.

Why do you want to know about strength?

Amstaffer

DogLover4 said:
Yeah i take no offence to your question. and after posting i thought some people might question why i want to know.. well any ways the reason i want to know is because i really want a dog i could enter into weight pulling and i just wanted to know how much power i will have to deal with when the dog becomes fully grown you know becaue i heard they can be hard to handle sometimes becuase of there size.

but i agree with you 100%.. there are other areas that are more important thats why i posted questions 1,2 and 3

I should have read the whole thread first....If you want to weight pull your best bet is a Pit Bull. Pound for Pound ( and many time over their weight class) the Pit Bull is unmatched. I used to be involved in weight pulling and the Malamute owners wanted a whole different class for Pit Bulls because 50lb Pits were out pulling 100lb Malamutes. I believe the the Pit Bull terrier has the record for pulling the most weight to body weight ratio.

I did a little research and there are some Rott used in Weight pulling (in my area I don't recall seeing any), but I would make sure any puppy you get has OFA Cleared Parents ( good hips) if you plan to do any pulling.

Good luck....Rotts are GREAT dogs!

DogLover4

Old topic but unfortunetley I still have not purchased a new dog. I plan on waiting untill spring time to make my final decision. I'm however still tied between Rottweiler, Doberman and Bull Terrier.

All great Dogs with great characteristics but man it's a choice to make.

Members online

No members online now.