Cat people.. i have some questions about felines

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
ive always kind of overlooked cats as pets.but recently I met a very friendly cuddly playful one.. and since im moving into an apartment that allows 1 cat. the more I think about it, the more i think that id like a low maintenance feline friend to hang out with me when im stuck in my room studying

1. Is it OK to only have 1 cat..will it get lonely without any other kitty friends? kittens are on sale at the shelter for $35 for 2

2. I want a long haired cat.. its just something ive always wanted lol what kind of grooming is necesary?

3. Kitten or adult cat? Im going to be adopting from the shelter. which do you think its best?

4. What is a good kind of litter/box? ill be living in an apartment

5. i dont want it to be bored..what kinds of toys and things should I buy?

6. People with cats..do they like you? do they cuddle with you? my cats just kind of hang around.. but maybe thats because they are indoor/outdoor and weren't really raised with us. I want a loving pet

7. What is a high quality cat food?

8. i will be a student.. so i wont be home 24/7. but since im prevet I am gonna be spending a lot of time in my room studying. but for when im not home.. what are some things I should have to keep kitty entertained? and keep her/him from scratching up my furniture?

so answer some questions, tell me about your cat, post pictures.. w/e! :)

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
Well, take note that I don't like cats in general. There's only been two cats that I can tolerate (and they're polar opposites in the personality department) but I do own three of the buggers so:

1. Is it OK to only have 1 cat..will it get lonely without any other kitty friends? kittens are on sale at the shelter for $35 for 2

No idea. I don't think they're like a horse. Personally, of my three cats, I'm pretty sure that two of them would rather live by themselves.

2. I want a long haired cat.. its just something ive always wanted lol what kind of grooming is necesary?

The only long hair cat I have is a calico, and she will not let you near her with a brush. She does a good job grooming herself, though, so I'd say it depends on the cat.

3. Kitten or adult cat? Im going to be adopting from the shelter. which do you think its best?

Well kittens are of course cute and you get to watch them 'grow up', but it's the same situation with dogs. You know the cute, young ones will get adopted where as the older ones might not be so fortunate.

We have an automatic cleaning litterbox thing. That seems to work well. Expensive, but handy.

No idea. My cat finds playing with my feet to be a perfectly acceptable exercise (just wish she would pull in her **** claws!)

6. People with cats..do they like you? do they cuddle with you? my cats just kind of hang around.. but maybe thats because they are indoor/outdoor and weren't really raised with us. I want a loving pet

Well the tabby cat hates me, loves my mom. Will cuddle the hell out of my mom. The calico is indifferent to me, will sometimes crawl into my lap. Loves my dad's lap though. And the tortoise pattern cat will have nothing to do with anyone. She'll hang out on the foot stool of the recliner, but that's more for a tactical advantage over the other cats than any affection for the occupant of the chair.

I've no idea.

8. i will be a student.. so i wont be home 24/7. but since im prevet I am gonna be spending a lot of time in my room studying. but for when im not home.. what are some things I should have to keep kitty entertained? and keep her/him from scratching up my furniture?

Uhm...I dunno. We always let ours outdoors and they entertain themselves.

T

tessa_s212

ive always kind of overlooked cats as pets.but recently I met a very friendly cuddly playful one.. and since im moving into an apartment that allows 1 cat. the more I think about it, the more i think that id like a low maintenance feline friend to hang out with me when im stuck in my room studying

There are many people that own only one cat. Before we kept our hand raised foster kitten, Dustin had only 1 indoor cat. She was fine and found ways to amuse herself. Since we've kept the new kitten, it was a VERY big adjustment for her. She growled a lot, she hissed, she hated him. But soon enough, with time, they became friends and now they tackle each other, play, and keep each other busy. I'm just a multi- type person. I couldn't fathom just one pet.

My sister has a medium/long haired Main Coon mix. She's looking kind of scruffy at the moment, but she doesn't brush her more than once every other week. Her coat isn't the type to get matted, however there are some long haired cats that need weekly grooming. Those are truly a pain in my butt! Wonderful cats, I just see cats as a low-maintenance pet and want them that way! :p

Please, please.. if you have it in your heart, adopt an adult. I know even kittens can have a hard time finding a home, but their chances are still better than the adults. And especially if you may consider having two cats, sometimes cats come in with a buddy that they wouldn't handle being separated from very well. (Also, there is the option of adopting a cat that is already declawed. The damage has been done, you didn't do it to the cat, and it takes the worries out of the clawing issue)

I use covered. Just my preference.

I give up on buying many toys. Most of the time, milk jug rings, paper wads, shoe laces, etc etc are their favorite toys. Forget any expensive toy I may buy them. I'd just get a few to see what they may like at first, and also provide it with many 'homemade' toys as well. :)

Aramae, the cat that was originally an only cat, isn't a cuddler. She doesn't want to be snuggled or pet much. V, the foster kitten we know own and raised since he was 2 days old, is a cuddly one. He loves human interaction and we call him our "cat dog". He plays fetch!! loves to play fetch, 'talks' to us occasionally, and has to always folllow Dustin around.

I have to be honest, our cats don't get high quality. Just note that if you adopt a male, males are more prone to being blocked, and my vet personally recommends feeding can food or supplementing with canned food to help maybe prevent it. If the brand is high quality for dogs, it is high quality for cats is the rule of thumb.

My sister hangs string with a toy attacked from the ceiling fan, V has a cat tree he LOVES to go hog wild on (he's NOT declawed, never had a problem with him clawing anything but his cat tree - just takes training, like you would a dog), and many cats simply sleep while you are away. With V in the initial trainign process, we did treat him very much like a dog. When they were tiny they were kept in a carrier, so he was no stranger to a crate. When we were not home to watch him to prevent or correct him from scratching innapropriate things, he was kept in the carrier(large enough for a small tray/litterbox) - crate trained, just like a dog.

bubbatd

I can appreciate cats , but can't compare them to a dog . Whole different mind set . I don't see them as a " companion " . I do admire those who love cats .

F

FluffyZooCrew

I never found my cat to be lonely, and I had him for about 12 years before we rescued mom's kitten (I found her on the highway when she was a really tiny baby), who's now like a year and a half old. Socks was happy and content by himself, and still is kind of a loner. I really think it depends on the individual cat. Lola, mom's cat, LOVES Socks, but gets annoyed by her easily, LOL.

Not sure about long-haired cats, mine, and mom's kitty, are both shorthairs.

If you are adopting from the shelter, I'd REALLY urge you to adopt an adult. Kittens are always adopted first because everyone wants a cute kitten. Adult cats sometimes sit in shelters a very long time, because many people never want an adult cat, and they are easily overlooked. But many adults are still just as playful and cuddly as a kitten is.

I've never had a special litterbox, I always just used the plain square ones with kitty litter. There are those fancy self-cleaning ones though, I think they're called the Litter Maid, or something like that.

A lot of cats love just about any cat toy. String and feathers on a pole, balls with bells, catnip toys, you name it.

My cat has been indoor/outdoor his entire life, and he's going on like 15. And he's still just as loving and cuddly as any cat you'd meet. Wants to sit in my lap, get a head scratch, a belly rub, and give kisses.

If you want to go with the high quality cat foods, Wellness makes a good one. Innova also makes a cat food, as does EVO. Mom used Wellness on her cat for quite a while and he liked it.

A stratching post is your best friend. But try to find one that says it has catnip in it. Some do, and this will make the cat accept and use it more probably. Some cats get bored with regular scratching posts. Also, leave some toys out for him to keep himself entertained, and he should do fine.

And just because I wanna, here's a pic of my boy Socks:

And mom's cat Lola:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ALL :)

I thought you were taking Kenya with you?
Me and my family struck a deal..
Im going to do a year alone.. and then If i STILL feel that i have the time to be with kenya and keep her happy. then I take her.

The problem is, shes used to having a backyard, shes never been in the house alone (big family) and other dog friends. not moving isn't an option, so i want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE I can keep her happy if/when I bring her. So now I have a year to figure everything out, get used to my soroundings, work out a schedule. and then we're gonna send her over.

and kenya loves cats and is nice to them , so having a canine and feline wont be a problem

Domestika

I haven't read other responses, but I'll give you my info...

I think it really depends on a) the cat and b) how much time you have to interact with them. Some cats want nothing more than to lay in a sunny windowsill and be pet once in a while..some cats are much more active and might prefere a buddy to hang out with when you're not home/can't play wiht them.

I've never had a long haired cat, but I've seen plenty at work and they seem to shed more, and of course the are fare more likely to develop matts and need to be put under to have them shaved out if they aren't regularly groomed. Don't know much about what "regular grooming" entails though, sorry!

I would HIGHLY recommend an adult cat, for all the reasons you'd adopt an adult dog. Their personality is a little more cemented. You know what you're getting yourself into. :) Adult cats can still be very playful and adaptable. They aren't in that cute "kitten stage", but...come on. They need homes too!

I'm a proponent for "the largest box you can find". My cat had urinary blockages before I adopted him, which makes him sort of.."special needs" when it comes to litterbox stuff, but I don't see why you wouldn't just get the biggest, best box you can afford. If you have a male cat I'd highly recommened getting the biggest box you can, if you're on the fence between two. Young male cats can develop life-threatening urinary issues if their box is too small/they find the box too uncomfortable to use freely.

Like dogs, it really depends on the cat. Some cats don't care about any toys at all. Some cats will play with ANYTHING. I recommend getting to know the cat before you go and spend money on toys they may very well not play with. My cat, for instance, couldn't care less about balls or bells, but LOVES mouse shaped toys made with fur and real faces. He likes to eat the face... :/

Again, like dogs...not every cat is the same. My cat is majorly cuddly with me, not so much with my husband (maybe cause my husband likes to "rough house" with the cat...). That's why it's good to pick a cat that seems to exhibit the traits you are looking for. If you want a cat that's affectionate, don't pick the cutest kitten...who ignores you and just wants to bite things or play with its littermates.

Pretty much anything you find at a vet's office and NOTHING you find in a pet store or grocery store. :)

I would recommend a scratching post and making sure the cat has access to a lookout of some kind. A window is enough to entertain most adult cats. Again, it really depends on the temperment of the cat, but my cat has always been an indoor cat (since I've had him anyway) and he tends to gravitate towards windows where he can watch birds and othe goings-on.

so answer some questions, tell me about your cat, post pictures.. w/e! :)
Beyond that...my cat is lovely. He's almost 20 pounds of ridiculous kitten. He's probably 4 or 5, but he still chases the cord on my camera, my shoelaces, etc.

My husband and I were at the shelter one day, just looking for fun, and I saw him and went "OH MY GOD, look at this cat!" He was enormous and gorgeous and friendly.

I called the next morning to see if he was still up for adoption (he had been at the shelter for SIX MONTHS) and they said no, the had been adopted the day before. Knowing how useless the shelter staff are...I went in later that day to "double-check". Turns out one of the staff wanted him. I pressured him a bit and, after looking through the cat's medical file and seeing that he had had an upper respiratory infection and a urinary blockage (ie. high maintenence), the guy said "sure, you can have him". He didn't care what cat he took, he just wanted "a cat".

It took him about a week or so to get used to us. He's a MAJOR scaredy cat with new people/situations, but he settled in just fine. He moved with me from Canada to Iceland and has settled in nicely here. He's currently laying stretched out on the huge window sill, enjoying the bright sun at 9pm. I wouldn't have left him behind for anything. He's one of the major loves of my life. :D

He's an absolutely doll. I love him. He's cuddly, playful, trainable, engaging and beautiful. I feel very lucky that we caught a glimpse of him that day (and that my husband agreed to bring him home. :) )

That's a 22" monitor, just for size comparison. :)

bubbatd

Wow !!! That should be a cover picture for " What ever Lola wants ... Lola gets " !!!

Domestika

Oh...I'd also add, to anyone considering getting a cat...

Indoor cats are far more likely to survive to a ripe old age than indoor/outdoor or outdoor cats.

I can't tell you how many cats I've seen with head trauma after being run over. You'd never want your cat to go through that. Everyone with an outdoor cat thinks their cat is smart enough to avoid cars...but I can tell you (with graphic detail) it has nothing to do with being smart. It happens and it is absolutely tragic.

I have seem enough protruding eyeballs, missing jaws and swollen brains to last me a lifetime. Growing up, our cats were ALWAYS outdoor. I thought that was just the default for cats. After working at the hospital...no. Cats are safer indoors. If you never let them out, they never know. Keep them entertained inside, get a second cat if you think they are truly really bored and pining for stimulation, but don't let them outdoors.

I've seen so, so many grieving pet owners saying "We always thought she knew to stay out of traffic..." over their brain dead, hit-by-car cat...no one thinks it'll happen to their cat, but it happens all. the. time.

Also, keep in mind that a lot people won't even stop if they hit a cat because they're too afraid that what they see will be really traumatic to them. It's really the minority of people who will bring a hit-by-car cat to a hospital. Your cat may disappear and, unbeknownst to you, it spent it's last 12 hours alive dragging itself down the road with an eyeball sticking out, bleeding out in its brain.

Sorry for the scare tatics. I just think it's that important.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Oh...I'd also add, to anyone considering getting a cat...

Indoor cats are far more likely to survive to a ripe old age than indoor/outdoor or outdoor cats.

I can't tell you how many cats I've seen with head trauma after being run over. You'd never want your cat to go through that. Everyone with an outdoor cat thinks their cat is smart enough to avoid cars...but I can tell you (with graphic detail) it has nothing to do with being smart. It happens and it is absolutely tragic.

I have seem enough protruding eyeballs, missing jaws and swollen brains to last me a lifetime. Growing up, our cats were ALWAYS outdoor. I thought that was just the default for cats. After working at the hospital...no. Cats are safer indoors. If you never let them out, they never know. Keep them entertained inside, get a second cat if you think they are truly really bored and pining for stimulation, but don't let them outdoors.

I've seen so, so many grieving pet owners saying "We always thought she knew to stay out of traffic..." over their brain dead, hit-by-car cat...no one thinks it'll happen to their cat, but it happens all. the. time.

Also, keep in mind that a lot people won't even stop if they hit a cat because they're too afraid that what they see will be really traumatic to them. It's really the minority of people who will bring a hit-by-car cat to a hospital. Your cat may disappear and, unbeknownst to you, it spent it's last 12 hours alive dragging itself down the road with an eyeball sticking out, bleeding out in its brain.

Sorry for the scare tatics. I just think it's that important.
The new kitty will be ONLY indoors. because of all that and because I dont know the area, ill be in an apartment, etc..

the only reason the cats we have now are indoors/outdoors are because they just were feral cats when we moved in, they got friendly enough that we took them to be spayed/neutered, now they come in and out but definetly aren't people friendly. they just deal with us lol

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Oh and ive decided to go with an adult :) Now ive just gotta find the right one.. lol

noludoru

Bored Now.
Don't take this the wrong way, Fran, but now is not the right time for you to get a cat or kitten. You're going to school, you'll probably be kinda broke, might be moving around a fair bit, and life will be changing a lot for you - not to mention what a big change college will be from high school. . . I would wait until you are much more stable to adopt a cat. They are one hell of a commitment - most live 12-20 years. It might work out, but it doesn't really seem like the best decision, IMO.

Answers to your questions, though:

2. I want a long haired cat.. its just something ive always wanted lol what kind of grooming is necesary? Depends on the coat. Persian type coat? DAILY brushing is absolutely necessary. Maine Coon type coat? It depends on the cat. I have one who can be brushed once a month and doesn't mat, but we have had cats at FOHA who need to be brushed daily or several times a week or they mat. I'd say that the longer and softer/fuzzier the coat is, the easier it will mat.

3. Kitten or adult cat? Im going to be adopting from the shelter. which do you think its best? See above. If you do decide to get a cat, though, I'm going to suggest an adult. An adult will be cheaper, easier, will come sterilized and litter trained, etc. You will also get a feel for the cat's temperament, which you really can't do as well when they're kittens. Kittens are expensive, messy, can be destructive, and really should have a kitten friend to grow up with for the companionship and a good playmate.

4. What is a good kind of litter/box? ill be living in an apartment Any kind? Covered ones are great, as long as they are cleaned frequently.

5. i dont want it to be bored..what kinds of toys and things should I buy? Anything that works. Mine prefer caps, beanie babies, mice made with rabbit fur, carboard, wrapping paper, etc. Wand toys are a blast. Cat trees are a must if you don't have a lot of vertical space.

6. People with cats..do they like you? do they cuddle with you? my cats just kind of hang around.. but maybe thats because they are indoor/outdoor and weren't really raised with us. I want a loving pet Depends on the cat. Another good reason to get an adult - you'll be able to see the temperament of the cat BEFORE you bring him/her home. Mine are cuddly, but how they are cuddly depends on the individual, and some cats just aren't. Emma likes cuddles and pets on her own terms - when SHE wants it and can care less about how you feel. Chili is very in your face and grabby - she stands on my dresser in the mornings and 'hugs' me and chews on my face or hands. She likes being in the room with me all the time and usually touching me or on top of me. She's a very cuddly, in-your-face sort of cat with those she likes. Tom is more likely to beg to be petted constantly and to sit near you or leaning against you rather than on you. He does NOT like the be picked up but is always, always happy to be petted. I could spend 24 hours petting him and he wouldn't get tired of it. When he does sit in your lap or on your legs, if you shift even a little he's leaping off of you, whereas, in comparison, Chili has sunk her claws into my clothes and clung to me to avoid having to be dislodged. (She usually screams while I'm doing this and makes an enormous scene. Trust me, it's not as cute as it sounds.)

Quick summary of this really long-winded reply? Cats are individuals. It's not like with dogs where you can search for a breed that fits your wants and needs by looking for certain traits, and you'll be reasonably sure you're getting a good fit for you. If you really want a cat and think now is the time for one, go to a shelter and spend some time (OUT of the cage) with a few cats and get to know them better.

7. What is a high quality cat food? Canned. It gets pricey to fed only or mostly canned, though. Canned cat food is absurdly expensive. However, if you only feed kibble, your cat will be chronically dehydrated. I'm not going to bash kibble feeders - I feed it to two of my cats - as I understand why most people who know better feed it, but it's not exactly a good option for the long-term health of your cat. It's easy and relatively inexpensive, though.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly

It really depends on the cat. If you're raising a kitten from kittenhood all by itself it will likely be alright on it's own. Keep in mind though, young kittens will drive you MENTAL for the first 8 months. Seriously. Kittens do much better with a buddy to take out all that craziness on. If you adopt an adult the shelter should be able to point you towards an "only cat" kind of cat.

Depends on the type of coat. (Just like dogs, there are various coat types). Cats like persians have heavy undercoat that gets quickly matted and almost daily brushing is required. Nya (my longhair) has a thinner coat without any undercoat, and only now that she's getting senior and not grooming herself as well do I have to brush her at all.

Honestly? Adult cat all the way. Kittens are ADORABLE. Like seriously stinking cute, but that's about all they've got going for them IMO. I've done the kitten thing and will NEVER go that route again if given the option. Kittens are crazy. If you don't mind your toes getting eaten in the middle of the night and your arms/feet getting scratched to bits, and never sleeping because the kitten wants you to play, then go for it.

I prefer covered litterboxes. My cats are litter kickers, and it gets EVERYWHERE if the box is open topped. Particularly I love this litterbox: Omega Paw Roll N Clean Litter Box - New Kitten Center - Cat - PetSmart
I use that with a flush-able litter, and it's a dream in an apartment.

The rule of thumb with cats is: the more expensive the toy, the less they'll care about it. Get a bunch of those cheap 99 cent balls (crinkly ones, foamy ones, just get a variety). Maybe a ribbon wand toy. If you get a kitten it's recommended to hold off on the catnip until they're grown up. Honeysuckle however is a FANTASTIC alternative to catnip.

My cats are attention wh*res ;) They are a bit more aloof since Sierra entered the picture, but overall they're very lovey, affectionate and playful. Well... Buddy is playful. Nya is a senior and sleeps a lot of the time, but is a huge snugglebug.

The same general rules apply for judging a good cat food as a good dog food. The only thing to keep in mind is that cats are obligate carnivores and their biological need for meat is that much higher than dogs. They have absolutely no biological use for grains of any sort. Also, it's very important for cats to have wet food as at least 50% of their diet. (Wet or raw, but the moisture is vitally important). If you want more info on that, give me a buzz. I have lots and lots of things you can read :)

Honestly, so long as you're responsible I feel cats are ideal pets for students. They don't care if you're out all night so long as you love on them when you get home. Leave a bunch of those toys out, but they'll probably just sleep. (Unless you get a kitten, then you've got 8 months or so until they sleep all day)

As for the scratching, invest in a scratching post. A carpet or sisal rope post would be best, most cats (in my experience) ignore the cardboard ones. Positive reinforcement to teach the cat to use the post (praise whenever they go to it on their own, if caught scratching furniture just pick them up and move them to the post, encouraging them to scratch there). If you are consistent with this, the cat will pick up quickly. Mine don't pay any attention to the furniture.

And of course, pictures are necessary if you do get a kitty!!

noludoru

Bored Now.
Oooh Nilly, you brought up an important point with kittens. The INJURIES. OMG. They're so sweet, but they have no clue what they are doing with those little razorblades on the ends of their paws.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I visited "my building" and it was actually another pre-vet student who recommended cats. He told me there were nights of heavy studying that his cat was the only thing that kept him from having a nervous breakdown lol and they make great study buddies

A lot of people in the building have cats, and the landlord doesn't mind as long as they are ONLY indoor and we must show proof of spay/neuter and rabies. (he doesnt want cats getting out, reproducing and taking oveer lol )

School is a big change.. but cant aren't really all that high maintenance lol We have 4 here and I dont even notice they are around. Maybe its sort of a selfish reason.. but being in college alone, cooped up in my room.. I feel like id need a pet to keep me company.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I get that, and I'm not trying to bash you or anything (I like you in case you haven't noticed already :p), I just don't think it's the best idea right now. College is going to be a huge, huge thing and such a change from how things were before. Life might be pretty unstable for the next 6 years or so and you already have one pet you can't bring with you. I could see things going wrong. That's all I'm saying. Ultimately the decision is up to you and I think you'll make the right one, whatever that turns out to be. Just don't rush into anything if you can help it. I'm speaking from experience here. :eek:

If you get a cat, though, I'm going to suggest a black cat for two reasons: 1) they don't get adopted anywhere near as quickly as other cats. Even the sweetest, mildest black cats have been passed over time and time again for the cuter ones at FOHA who aren't nearly as sweet. :( Reason #2 is that you already have a black dog, and you need to be able to coordinate your wardrobe for the pet hair! :p (In all seriousness, though, do consider the black cats if you go to the shelter. They get overlooked constantly.)

Domestika

School is a big change.. but cant aren't really all that high maintenance lol We have 4 here and I dont even notice they are around. Maybe its sort of a selfish reason.. but being in college alone, cooped up in my room.. I feel like id need a pet to keep me company.
Honestly, for your situation I would recommend searching for a very specific type of cat (and helpful shelter staff should be able to help you with this): older, fairly quiet, affectionate but not demanding. Basically a cat that has limited energy demands...will willingly accept attention when you have it to spare and will amuse itself (probably with a nap) when you're unable. There are a million cats like that who are just looking for a warm, safe place to sleep at night and a nice pet when you have it to spare.

That's the kind of cat I would recommend. :)

Last edited:

Domestika

I get that, and I'm not trying to bash you or anything (I like you in case you haven't noticed already :p), I just don't think it's the best idea right now. College is going to be a huge, huge thing and such a change from how things were before. Life might be pretty unstable for the next 6 years or so and you already have one pet you can't bring with you. I could see things going wrong. That's all I'm saying. Ultimately the decision is up to you and I think you'll make the right one, whatever that turns out to be. Just don't rush into anything if you can help it. I'm speaking from experience here. :eek:
Ohh...after reading this..I wonder, what do you think about rats?

In my experience, they are so inbred that they only live 1-2 years. They have major personality, can be affectionate and super playful...and you can keep them in most places you'd be living...I had rats in dorms when I was going to university.

Is that an option for you?

Members online

No members online now.