New Puppy ?

black

A few day's ago i found these kid's tying a puppy to a rope and hitting himand pushing him around so i scared he kid's away and the puppy followed me home (he doesn't want to leave) anyway now i have a few problem's and would appreciate your suggestions
1)the dog has been tortured and due to that he will whine whenever you approach and won'tstop until you pet him . how can i stop that ?
2)i can't tell the dog's breed (the only breed i know is gsd)
3)when should i start teaching him stuff and how ?

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
OK right then....
Firstly what is an gsd?
Secondly, you can start teaching him/her stuff now like simple thing like,Sit,down ect...
You could do that with treat's(puppy treat's)
And thirdly, You could start to play with him/her to bulid up trust!!
Hope that all helped!!!! :D

Okay, Milo, we're all bad about using abbreviations! GSD is German Shepherd Dog.

Now, Black, for your problem: he whines until you pet him because he can't be sure he's not going to be hurt again until events prove otherwise. Make it a habit to talk to him while you pet him; get him acclimated to the idea that the sound of your voice means that everything is going to be okay.

The next step is to build his self confidence. In a couple of weeks (earlier if he seems ready, you'll have to be the judge) start taking him out for short walks on a leash. I strongly suggest a halter instead of a collar mainly because it seems to give a dog a sense of security and it gives you more control. Take him with you to the pet store and let him interact with other people; while you're there, get him some treats or a toy. Teach him to play. He may very well have completely lost that natural knowledge because of his sad history, so it will be up to you to help him regain that part of his nature.

Give him a warm, soft bed in a quiet corner of the house where he can go when he feels overwhelmed or just wants to be quiet.

And the most important parts of all are patience and love. Strangely enough, these dogs that are rescued like your little feller, with loving patience, often turn into some of the best personal companions of all.

Oh, and if you'll post some photos of him, we'll try to help you out with some ID. No guarantees, but it's fun to guess.

Do you have any idea of about how old he is?

And good on you for doing such a wonderful thing for that baby. He's going to make you very glad you brought him into your heart.

black

1)Do you have any idea of about how old he is?
no i don't but ill give u a guide ,he's the same size and look's pretty much like the pup in this pic

So okay i'm gonna teach him sit and come and stuf like that but how ?
the dog is less afraid of people coming to him and even came at the word COME about 9 times but he keep's jumping at my finger's and sucking them , why would that be ?
thank's a lot and as you see he look's a bit like a gsd but his ear's aren't as big and stiff

black

oh ya i forgot to ask do you know any site that will have likethe breed name and the dogs picture next to it ,i guess that could be helpfull

The finger sucking tells you that he was probably taken from his mother too soon. Make sure he's got some SAFE chew toys (NO RAWHIDE or pig ears or anything like that) to substitute for your fingers. You're going to want to do that to teach him not to mouth and gnaw on hands, something his mother would have taught him if he'd been with her long enough.

You need to find him a good name, since he'll be learning to come to you when you call. Teaching him to sit is simple; use the command and gently (you'll need to be very aware of being gentle with him given his history) use your hand guide his furry little bottom to the floor. Praise him like crazy and give him a little treat. Repeat it several times - he'll probably catch on pretty quickly - but don't make the lesson too long; three or four minutes is about the limit of his attention span at this point.

The ears being floppy right now aren't necessarily a "no" on him having a lot of German Shepherd genes; German Shepherd pups ears don't stand up for quite awhile, sometimes flopping until six months or so. I thought one of Bimmer's was never going to stand up all the way!

There are lots of sites with dog breeds and pictures:

http://www.dog-breeds.net/Dog_Breeds_Directory.htm

http://www.exoticdogs.com/breeds/

http://www.akc.org

are some links to start you off.

Keep us posted on your progress! We'll all help you in any way we can.

bogolove

Another thing that may help him bond more with you also is to leave something with your scent on it where he sleeps. Like an old t-shirt or a towel, and if you give him his own spot to sleep, it may help him at least have "his" place where he feels secure until he can start to feel safe around others again. I feel so sorry for the little guy, it must have been so scary for him. What kind of kids do that? Maybe I will skip having kids and get more dogs.

I crate trained Brady and now he feels like his crate is his safe place. If he is really tired he goes in there on his own, or if he is scared (which usually the only thing that scares him these days is the vacuum). But a lot of playing and building his confidence through the playing will really help. If he seems scared or timid about any play, just encourage him (also with the stuff you teach him such as sit, stay, etc.) and erally praise him when he does good. It will help his confidence. Also, after a little while when he is still young, if you socialize him well, it may help to curb some timidness towards other people he may have from his previously abusive situation.

black

he disappeared ,i left him out for a few minutes and he disappeared, this is so bad , i dont know what to do

First, go back to where you first found him. Keep checking there. It's possible those awful kids stole him back. Be very, very careful if you find him there. If he's loose . . . it's easy; if not, well, you'll have to use your own judgement on that one, even if you have to come back later with help from the humane society or someone like that. Also, go the the local shelter and check for him. Tell them the story of how you found him, so maybe they'll help you look for him with more effort. That way, too, if you find him where you found him to start with, they will be inclined to help you get him back. Keep checking back with the shelter; if you have a picture of him, leave a copy with them.

Print up some posters (with a picture, if possible) and hand them around the neighborhood and go to any vets' offices in town to leave posters and ask them to be on the lookout for him.

And keep going outside and calling for him. Do it several times a day and any time you just have a "feeling." Walk and/or drive around the neighborhood and call him, and talk to your neighbors. Be sure they know how you found him so they'll be inclined to be sympathetic and help you look.

Members online

No members online now.