Fila Owners (questions, what else?)

noludoru

Bored Now.
Okay.. I know we've had a zillion "Renee tell us about the Grrrls" threads, but I have some questions that I'm almost positive weren't asked. I can't remember them all... but I'll add as I go.

Tell me about the white-brindle dogs. I've heard them described.. Are they just pale fawns?

What do you think of breeders who sell every pup they have as breeding quality except the few marked as "pets" and why?

What about breeders who don't socialize their pups before they go home to new owners?

How was it bringing your fila puppies home? Did they hate you at first, or were they wary of you?

Are all Filas as intelligent as Kharma and Shiva?

Why is there such a HUGE variation type still, even though there appears to be many dogs considered breeding stock?

I've seen a Fila that honestly resembles a cow on one Fila breeder's website.. I believe it was Eshabeta. Why on earth did they breed her? I know temperament and ability come first in determining breed-worthiness, but she is rather extreme.

What do you think of Filas who have their hips high above their shoulders (like 4 inches or more)? Does it hurt them or cause structural problems? I think it's a tad bit extreme.

How are your Filas with strangers petting them on neutral territory? Why? How do they react when people come onto your property? How about when you bring people into your home? Do you have to lock them up!? I read that on several sites, and it made me twitch.

Fila mixes--I read in one article (only one, mind you.. couldn't much more info on it) that they are unstable. Fact or fiction? I'm inclined to say fiction, but I really have no grounds to judge upon.

What do you think of breeding for Filas with less ojeriza?

Okay.. all for now. More when I remember. I apologize if I asked any dumb ones, I only got a few hours of sleep last night.

I am by no means a Fila expert but I did want to touch on a couple of the questions you had...

Part of the reason there is a difference in the looks of Filas is because of the difference in breeders' goals. The big split happens between breeders breeding for show and breeders breeding for work. This split is actually found in many breeds that were once used for some type of work before they were introduced to the show ring. Within the show dogs, breeders either breed for what they know will appeal to judges or they breed to suit their own personal interpretation of the breed standard. Ranchers who are breeding their Filas for work simply breed the best worker to the best worker regardless of looks in order to create the best worker. There is a third split which is backyard breeders as well. They tend to have the most over-done dogs because they have no "test" their dogs must pass in order to be breeding quality, the pups just need to sell.

As for "breeding down" temperment, I am highly against this. A breed was made the way it was for a reason and if a person cant deal with that temperment then the person shouldn't get the breed of dog. Its as bad as breeding the pulling instinct out of a Siberian Husky or the hunting instinct out of a Beagle, its just not right. Besides, IMO the only person that would breed down temperment is a backyard breeder because then they suddenly gain a larger number of people who could handle their dogs. After all, not just any Joe Schmoe can handle a Fila with a high ojeriza, it takes skill, knowledge, and an indepth understanding. Rule #1 of choosing a breed of dog is to find the one that matches your living style the best and that goes in hand with temperment. If you are someone who likes to have a lot of random people over all the time, then perhaps you should look for a more social breed...

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Whew, that's a lotta questions! :p Renee will be the one to answer most of these when she has the time, though... Sorry for any typos... I was typing quickly.

What do you think of breeders who sell every pup they have as breeding quality except the few marked as "pets" and why?

Wouldn't this be the same as any breeder breeding to better the breed? Our breeder had (and has) mostly breeding quality and these pups go to on to show or some (as with Bella's litter, go to places like South Africa and back to Brazil to do some work).

What about breeders who don't socialize their pups before they go home to new owners?

Bella was not socialized outside of their farm. While we started socialization after Bella settled in... sometimes no amount of socialization will make filas "okay" with strangers.. they have ojeriza- it's a part of them.

How was it bringing your fila puppies home? Did they hate you at first, or were they wary of you?

Bella had a bad experience coming to us... problems were out of our control. But after a couple days she quickly warmed up to us all. :)

I'd even go so far as to say that filas are more intelligent than a lot of humans I know.

Why is there such a HUGE variation type still, even though there appears to be many dogs considered breeding stock?

I think OC answered this well...

I've seen a Fila that honestly resembles a cow on one Fila breeder's website.. I believe it was Eshabeta. Why on earth did they breed her? I know temperament and ability come first in determining breed-worthiness, but she is rather extreme.

Can you PM me the picture? Bella is an Eshabeta II puppy.. Eshabeta is known world wide for their filas.

What do you think of Filas who have their hips high above their shoulders (like 4 inches or more)? Does it hurt them or cause structural problems? I think it's a tad bit extreme.

How are your Filas with strangers petting them on neutral territory? Why? How do they react when people come onto your property? How about when you bring people into your home? Do you have to lock them up!? I read that on several sites, and it made me twitch.

People only pet Bella is she let's them. This is NOT a breed where someone can say, "ohhhhh what a cute puppy! Look at that face" while charging at the dog at high speeds and crouching to their level. People- and I don't care who they are- are NOT allowed to approach any of my dogs this way- especially Bella. We go to the beach and to the pond, if people are patient enough and bella likes them, she will come around and will go to them and they can pet her. But it's not a requirement for her to be Miss Social. Bella does not like when people come to our home (and she really did not enjoy the moving experience). When someone comes over (say something is broken) all of the dogs are crated until that person leaves. And I would not lock Bella up because of what breed she is... it's because Buddy and Banzai think every stranger is there to play with them, lol.

Fila mixes--I read in one article (only one, mind you.. couldn't much more info on it) that they are unstable. Fact or fiction? I'm inclined to say fiction, but I really have no grounds to judge upon.

I don't know but I would, on instinct, call it fact. Why? Because mixes are not purebreds and are in no way, shape, matter of form a true testament of either breed.

Okay.. all for now. More when I remember. I apologize if I asked any dumb ones, I only got a few hours of sleep last night.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Eek! I definitely should have specified. I'm nowehere NEAR experienced enough for a Fila. I don't plan on getting one anytime soom. Maybe 15 years down the road depending upon circumstances, but I do not plan on owning one. What both of you have said about breeding Filas temperaments down is something I agree with..they wouldn't be Filas without it.

I'd even go so far as to say that filas are more intelligent than a lot of humans I know.
:giggles: That was the impression I've gotten.

To elaborate a bit on my first two questions... It confused me a LOT that on some breeder websites I have checked out they may have one or two out of every ten pups that are not considered breeding quality, where in most other dog breeds (excluding dogs bred for work..BCs, ACDs, etc) they're lucky if they get one or two breeding quality out of a large litter. I'm not a Fila breeder [insert a sigh of relief here], and I certainly don't know exactly what goes into determining whether a dog is worthy of breeding, but nearly everything else I've read about breeding has been threaded with advice of "don't expect a breeding or show quality pup in every litter." With socialization as well, it is the norm for breeders to socialize the heck out of pups and require their new owners to do so as well. For Filas, it's not like you can socialize the aversion of strangers and their natural protectiveness out of them--once again, why would anyone want to--but teaching them what it normal and being able to take them out in public, IMO is a must for most people.

I'm going to start looking for the picture again. I don't actually remember whether it was Eshabeta II or not, but I'm going to go look. She just is a very odd-looking dog. :confused:

Thank you both so much for taking the time to answer my questions. :) The effort and great information means a lot to me.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
My "you" in my post was a generic you.. not you personally, heh. But filas are great dogs and it's true, I would not recommend them to just anyone, but they are an awesome breed.

Bella would have been breeding/show quality had her nose not been 1/4 of an inch too short, lol! That was the ONLY thing disqualifying her, according to the breeder.

We didn't want a breeding quality nor show quality dog though. We almost bought one as we had originally wanted brindle, but I do not wish, at this time, to get involved in breeding or showing.

Bella's breeder has been breeding for 20+ years... she has excellent lines and has MANY top notch dogs. If you're around for that long, you know a lot about breeding properly, etc.. :)

I'm not at my computer for a few days, and am just checking in, but something I will fill in to the good info you've already gotten is there is a great deal of disagreement among the various Fila factions as to what makes a dog a good example of the breed and a good prospect to have pups.

The show Fila people have a very structured and measured criteria, much like any breed. The other side of the coin are those who are more concerned with the "old" standards for the Fila - temperament, working drives, the unique character, fearlessness, intelligence, along with health and physical abilities (think a large, strong dog that is as fast as a large Doberman, only much more flexible and agile - and far less fragile). In other words, if it walks like a Fila and thinks like a Fila and works like a Fila, that's more important than all rather arbitrary show criteria :)

A whole bunch of questiona and I will give you my OPINION on some of them.

Okay.. I know we've had a zillion "Renee tell us about the Grrrls" threads, but I have some questions that I'm almost positive weren't asked. I can't remember them all... but I'll add as I go.

$$$$

It depends on the age at which they are sold, anything older than 4 months should have been socialized to some degree IMO.

Mine were both 7 weeks old when we got them home and were reserved for a few days but ultimately babies and wanting hugs and love

They are remarkably in tune to your emotions and can "read your mind". Mine are both true working stock and from a very young age have shown incredible hunting herding and guardian instincts while working together in a manner which is a delight to see.

I think the two questions above can to some degree be answered together although I might upset some people although this is not intended just my opinion. I believe that much of the Fila that are bred today are bred to serve a market and therefore to make $$$. For many societies bigger is better and therefore many breeds of dogs are bred large at the detriment of the breeds ability to perform its original function.Much of the American breeding stock comes from MG in Brazil where the animal is known as a Cattle dog. It is still Fila but bred heavy to work cattle at the homestead. Other Fila that is used to hunt and work the expanses of the farms are not as heavy and are subsequently faster more agile and have far greater stamina. Traditionally, as was mentioned in another post, the Fila was bred for purpose and a good working dog was bred to produce more good working dogs when not being concerned in any way as to the animals resemblance of "type or standard" A good dog was a good dog. I believe I know the picture you are talking about. Is it the one where the dog is on leash with a lady standing in front of a vehicle? If so I agree with you - what kind of work could that animal possible do? None, it is just bigger and I guess supposedly beter. Here where fila are primarily working animals a dog that weighs more than 75 kg - 167 lb is considered undesirable due to concerns over stamina and speed while explaining that the animals here are of hunting stock and not of the cattle type. Ultimately I think Renee summed it up perfectly "If it walks like a Fila and thinks like a Fila and works like a Fila" then it is indeed a Fila.

How are your Filas with strangers petting them on neutral territory? Why? They are slightly more tolerant due to training but nobody can pet them at all other than their first familyHow do they react when people come onto your property? Once invited at the front gate and correctly introduced they will allow entry but will not take their eyes off of the guest. A guest may at no time make any move towards our daughter of any kind. A guest may at no time take anything from the property unless closely supervised by either myself or my wife.How about when you bring people into your home? Do you have to lock them up!? I will lock them up only when young children are visiting. With adults we allow them to be free but never alone with the guests. Generally we will be entertaining on the pation / verandah and any guest who needs to use the bath room will be followed while one of them will guard the entrance to the corridoor that leads to my daughters bedroom.

I also have a Fila x Rottweiler mix that was bred for purpose. The purpose being that cultural beliefs here are that a black dog is the Devils dog and should not be crossed or approached in any way. Male fila x female Rotti will generally give all black pups and so we chose one such animal for security puposes in this very high crime risk country. My female is a very very stable animal and the most protective of my daughter, there are no surprises with this animal and is feared by far more people than the Filas. She is equally if not more ferocious than the Filas. Please remember that my dogs are pets but also critical to the security of my family and I am a very responsible owner and not a hooligan.

What do you think of breeding for Filas with less ojeriza?

Someone has already said it," if you can not handle a Fila do not buy a Fila"

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
How about when you bring people into your home? Do you have to lock them up!?
I will lock them up only when young children are visiting. With adults we allow them to be free but never alone with the guests. Generally we will be entertaining on the pation / verandah and any guest who needs to use the bath room will be followed while one of them will guard the entrance to the corridoor that leads to my daughters bedroom.
Holy cannoli. How do friends and family feel about this? To be really honest, if I were a close friend of a family with two Filas that kept their eyes on me every second, had to fear making the "wrong" human move, and they followed me to the bathroom, I would be very disconcerted and not just a little afraid. Probably disconcerted enough never to return in spite of the fact that the last thing I wanted to do was rob your home or harm your daughter.

if I were a close friend of a family with two Filas that kept their eyes on me every second, had to fear making the "wrong" human move, and they followed me to the bathroom, I would be very disconcerted and not just a little afraid.
They are watchful, but they don't have a hair trigger. Like the Talamasca, "we watch, and we are always there." They know their business, and if someone does something out of the norm, they will remind that person of their presence and typically stand between the unauthorized person and whomever they are watching over. What I have heard the most about the way mine guard me is how loyal and devoted and charming they are - even though I am 1000% safe as long as they are nearby.

They are guardians, not attack dogs. If necessary to put mouth to someone, they prefer to hold without injury. They will go farther if necessary, but they really do have great discretionary abilities, and face it, their mere presence is more than enough to stop 99% of all potential problems.

Holy cannoli. How do friends and family feel about this? To be really honest, if I were a close friend of a family with two Filas that kept their eyes on me every second, had to fear making the "wrong" human move, and they followed me to the bathroom, I would be very disconcerted and not just a little afraid. Probably disconcerted enough never to return in spite of the fact that the last thing I wanted to do was rob your home or harm your daughter.
If someone is acting incredily nervous around a Fila then it is wise to lock that Fila up. A person on ede will make the dog on edge and in a sense make them more unpredictable as they may be quicker on the trigger. A respsonsible guardian breed owner will tell you the "rules" before you come over, or at least will greet you outside the walls, tell you the rules, and then bring you inside. If you follow the rules then you follow the norm for the dog and the dog will be more likely to accept you. Three basic rules are:

1. Do not stare at the dog
2. Do not reach out and pet the dog or make sudden irratic gestures
3. Do not stand over the dog

Basically ignore the dog and pretend he doesnt exist. Once the dog has "accepted" you (IF he accepts you) then you will be freer to lax on the rules to some degree, depending on the dog.

Spent 12 days with Primo and Thor 2 great filas.

My conceptions about the breed was WRONG because I too based my opinions on what others said on boards.

And because they are the only rare molosser breed I have NOT handled.

They DO not have quick triggers are very patient dogs, do not bark much like lgds.

They are pushers and leaners in which they would more than likely push a nervous person AWAY from Mamma before bite them.

I have pics of 70 Filas crowded into a space with hundreds of people only one had a muzzle.

My dog knocked a sign over into the Fila ring and only the pups went off the adults were like WHAT ever..

The only thing that is hard about them is they are hard to read when compared to LGDS or GSDS they dont raise too much fuss thus I found them harder to read when a threat pushed it like at the border..

One woman said to Tina can I take a pic of Thor Cynthia dog she said sure next thing you know the woman dropped down to one knee and put her arm around the fila . All of us were like HOW ****.
So Cynthia put her hands in Thors mouth and this tells him some idiot is going to act stupid and the dam dog smilled for the pic.

I took was nervous when we were having dinner and one of the Filas got loose and charged towards me. That was the begining of the Trip at the end I want to own a Fila.

When ever i got out of the Van I said hello to the Filas when I got back in with their owners, and the end Thor fell a sleep on my lap and Primo would take hot dogs from me.

Ive met much sharper LGDS then Filas last week.

Oh well that is my vote Filas RULE .. :)

noludoru

Bored Now.
Sorry it took me so long to reply... I started to, and then forgot to finish it, and never came back. :eek: Thank you all for answering my questions so well, and so thoroughly. :) You guys really went above and beyond what I was hoping for, so thank you again! :hail:

H

House Of Jurai

Overall the Fila is not sutable for 99% of potential owners. They are tough guard dogs. Unless you live in a rural setting and really have a reason to fear for your life a Fila probably isn't for you. Too much can go wrong in an average home that would make a Fila a liability, not an asset.

IMHO

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Overall the Fila is not sutable for 99% of potential owners. They are tough guard dogs. Unless you live in a rural setting and really have a reason to fear for your life a Fila probably isn't for you. Too much can go wrong in an average home that would make a Fila a liability, not an asset.

IMHO
Oops. Better get rid of my fila then... living in the city and all... no fear for my life... the potential for wrong...

*someone tell me they sensed the sarcasm*

RD

Are you dead yet?
House of Jurai, how many Filas have you met? I don't know a single one that I would think of as "liability" any more than a shepherd, collie or Rottweiler. Filas are a unique breed, but they're still dogs. They have a strong work ethic and want to help their owners, but they aren't the exotic monsters people make them out to be.

I have border collies. They're tough sheepdogs. To anyone who doesn't have sheep, a border collie is probably going to be more of a pain than an asset. Is that accurate?

I have no sheep. Hell, I don't even have a farm - I have 5 acres in a suburban area. I can't imagine life without my border collies and they live fulfilling lives with me. Technically, I shouldn't have them because I don't have a *need* for them. God forbid that I like them and want to have them! And when I move to Mexico, I will have a Fila too, even though I might not have a ranch that needs guarding, or slaves that need catching (my slaves would never run away ;)).

I have a problem with people referring to a certain breed as a liability. It's not the breed. If someone can't control their dog, then their dog is a liability. A 150lb liability is obviously more significant than a 15lb one, but the breed doesn't have much to do with how dangerous the dog is. How the owner handles the dog has everything to do with it.

Sorry for the OT rant.. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.