Sloppy Heeling

~Tucker&Me~

So Spy used to have a pretty nice heel, but I've noticed it get sloppier and sloppier over the last couple years. Now that I am toying with the idea of competing in something, I want to bring his heel back up to snuff :)

What I have noticed:

1. He is quite pushy and ends up a little too far ahead of me and kind of steps on my feet, it's almost as though he is bending around my legs to get in front of me :rolleyes: I like that he is eager and motivated, but I know he should give me a bit more space and not 'bend', so to speak. Should the dog's snout be in line with my legs? What exactly IS the correct position?

2. He sits when I stop, but I have noticed his bum swinging to the outside a little. Is there a simple way to improve this?

Thanks!

smeagle

I train it so their shoulder is in line with my left leg, that's how I was always taught was the correct position.

How did you train heel position? If I have trouble with the dog's position itself, I go back to step one and get it perfect in a stationery position first.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Knox's right shoulder should be brushing my left leg. That's how I've always been told is the correct heel position (for competitions anyway) and if competition is what you're aiming for, I think that it depends on the venue, but the dogs head should be wrapping around, not their body. They can either be looking off to the side or directly up at you. I prefer that Knox focus on my face, so that's what I reward for. I also prefer the flashier heeling style so when he high steps out I reward that heavily as well.

~Tucker&Me~

I train it so their shoulder is in line with my left leg, that's how I was always taught was the correct position.

How did you train heel position? If I have trouble with the dog's position itself, I go back to step one and get it perfect in a stationery position first.
To be honest, I can't even remember :eek: Most likely I shaped it with a clicker... It's been like, 4 years though :lol-sign:

I guess I am not sure how to fix these issues now that they are ground in.

~Tucker&Me~

Knox's right shoulder should be brushing my left leg. That's how I've always been told is the correct heel position (for competitions anyway) and if competition is what you're aiming for, I think that it depends on the venue, but the dogs head should be wrapping around, not their body. They can either be looking off to the side or directly up at you. I prefer that Knox focus on my face, so that's what I reward for. I also prefer the flashier heeling style so when he high steps out I reward that heavily as well.
Yes I want to compete, so I will try for that. So shoulder to leg is considered correct?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Shoulder to leg/his front feet lined up with your feet.

If he's wrapping a lot, start by getting perfect stationary position next to a wall so he has no room to wrap. Then start by moving next to a wall.

Also really examine your reward delivery. If you're feeding him from your right hand or from your left hand held against your body, he's going to wrap because that's where the food comes from. When you reward, bring your hand from behind the dog's head to up and in front of him (I hope that makes sense). This will help keep his head high and body straight.

Dekka

Just try me..
First off, find out what he is focusing on. Ie is he watching your face, is he sensitive to how you twist your body (focused on shoulder position) That will help you figure out what YOU are doing.

Then I would go back and really 'doodle' with him in heel. Copious c/t for correct heel. So since it sounds like he is forging, teach him to follow you sideways and backwards. Do lots of left turns and things to help reinforce NOT getting ahead.

M

MyHorseMyRules

So since it sounds like he is forging, teach him to follow you sideways and backwards. Do lots of left turns and things to help reinforce NOT getting ahead.
This. That's exactly how I always correct that problem. Left turns and looots of moving backwards and sideways. It makes them stay in the correct position and wait for you to take lead.

Taqroy

Also really examine your reward delivery. If you're feeding him from your right hand or from your left hand held against your body, he's going to wrap because that's where the food comes from. When you reward, bring your hand from behind the dog's head to up and in front of him (I hope that makes sense). This will help keep his head high and body straight.
THANK YOU. I knew I was rewarding wrong but I couldn't figure out how I should be doing it. You have solved Mu's wrapping problem. :D

MicksMom

...Also really examine your reward delivery. If you're feeding him from your right hand or from your left hand held against your body, he's going to wrap because that's where the food comes from. When you reward, bring your hand from behind the dog's head to up and in front of him (I hope that makes sense). This will help keep his head high and body straight.
You can also try holding a treat in your left hand, with the "pad" of your thumb on your hip.

~Tucker&Me~

So I took all your suggestions to heart and saw great results today!

I think the main problem was the placement of my reward, because as soon as I started rewarding him high up, at my side (above his head), his positioning got way better. So thank you VERY much everybody :)

Dekka

Just try me..
YAY.

I never thought of food placement, because I dont' think I have seen people rewarding across their body that I remember. Good to have this forum ;)

Now we want vids!

~Tucker&Me~

YAY.

I never thought of food placement, because I dont' think I have seen people rewarding across their body that I remember. Good to have this forum ;)

Now we want vids!
Yes I was actually hoping to make a couple videos to get some feedback, good to know some people would be willing to let me know what they think! :)

smeagle

I always reward my dog out of position (because I release her to the reward) so I find her understanding of the reward marker is really important as is my timing when using it! :)

Members online

No members online now.