walking outside with the puppy

lunarturn

Hello everyone. I have a 5 month old puppy. :) She is wonderful at home, follows the commands and listens to everything what I tell her to do. But here is the problem. :confused: Once we are outside, her behavior changes 90 degrees. Instead of listening to me, she completely, and I MEAN COMPLETELY, ignores me. :mad: She doesn't even turn when I call her name. No reaction what so ever. What can be the cause of such awful behavior and what can I do to stop it. Plus, whenever we are walking on the leash, she drags it ( along with me at the end!) as if its her last day on this planet and she needs to smell every square inch of the earth. Any ideas? :eek:

Debi

I was having trouble with Hammie outside...oh, he was the perfect gentleman indoors.....but outside he was totally ignoring me. He doesn't like any dog biscuits, so one day I put some crackers in my pocket. When I called him..I'd show him the cracker. Long story short.....he comes running now when I call his name. I still always reward him for coming...praise him. Even Addie (who is usually such a sweetie) does whatever I want to get that darn cracker! I swear...sometimes I think they want to go outside and do 'something' just to get the reward. This is great because I was having trouble trying to reward Hammie....if you give him a biscuit, he drops it and walks away. So, maybe try a new reward. :)

pitbulliest

lunarturn..seems like you just need to work some more on the obedience training...most people train their dogs indoors and when they go outside, they find that they have a completely different dog on their hands lol. Maybe you can try doing some obedience training outdoors, starting with the "look at me" and "heel" command... basically keep her on a short leash and teach her how to heel...every time she begins to pull ahead of you, you can either do one of two things; the old quick jerk and heel command, or you can start walking backwards and pull the leash back so instead of going forwards as she wants to do, she'll learn that every time she pulls, she'll only get further back from her destination. Each time she comes back to your side, you praise her for the good effort.

As for her ignoring you completely..teach her the "look at me" command...get treats, or whatever you use to train your dog...and get her in a sit position in front of you....tell her "look at me"..or whatever other command you'll want to use for this...and each time she makes eye contact with you, even if its for a quick second, praise her and give her a treat/toy/etc....
Only repeat the command once, and if she DOESN'T look at you, keep the leash really short so that she can't even put her head to the ground to sniff...and just ignore her in return..give it about a minute or two when she seems really bored, and repeat the command again...until she finally gets the point...she'll learn that, hey this is no fun and we aren't getting anywhere, so I might as well do what I'm told and we can get on with it!...lol

I don't think you have a problem with your dog..I think that all it needs is some extra obedience training..she's still a pup so she can get easily distracted outdoors with all the new smells...but once you do a little work together I'm sure she'll get better :) good luck.

candy722

Oh man my Toki is just the same way. Once his outside I could do so many distractions that he doesn't even turn his head back once. But I once took him to a hockey ring when nobody was there he wouldn't go wild. He followed me everywhere. But when he runs out of the house he is wild. I have no idea how to train dogs to obey. The good thing about him is that he doesn't pull on the leash. :)

avenlee

Sadie did that, she'd be perfect in the house and once outside she'd ignore my commands and look back to me as if to say "Leashes! I don't need no stinkin' leashes!" LOL she'd even have the curled lip, hehehe

lunarturn

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will try all of your advices and hopefully Amy will start acting normally outdoors!!!!! :D

Debi

avenlee said:
Sadie did that, she'd be perfect in the house and once outside she'd ignore my commands and look back to me as if to say "Leashes! I don't need no stinkin' leashes!" LOL she'd even have the curled lip, hehehe

Avenlee....I just had to truly laugh....I got the visual! I know that look. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.