Homemade dog food

olbrent

I feed my homemade food to 4 dogs and we can tell in a week after they eat Purina for a while, both in happier peppier but also coats and overall body condition, it also addresses flea control. In the house, I implement a completely chemical free flea control regimine which has allowed me to stop using the prescription flea treatment on the dogs. I no longer use any flea control products what so ever. I even use regular dog shampoo without the flea chemical. I have created the program after many years in the pest control industry, achieving expert status with the firms I was employed by. I will send it to you, along with my cell number for any questions regarding your pest or pet concerns, I feel the $10.00 you send will save you lots, as the food is less expensive to make, and if you are able to stop using chemicals on your pet you will not only save money but reduce risk to your dogs. I will also anwer questions regarding training and behavior issues if possible. I use only humane methods and all is based on thorough understanding of canine psychology. I personally have a husky- shep. cross, chiuaua, rednose pit bull, blue pit bull. They are 15-17, 9, 4, 2.5 years old respectively. Through training they all walk on a loose lease unless I allow them to roam ahead then it is only taut, they only jump on my family which is encouraged, aside from first step of training, they are not offered food treats for their behavior. I look forward to helping as many pet lovers as possible. PM or e-mail me, Thanks, Brent

pitbulliest

you feed her home made dog food and then Purina? lol Purina is like...down there with IAMS...that food can be compared to the bottom of my shoe..which at this point..is pretty nasty considering it rained today and I think I might have stepped in some dog poop. Purina IS a chemical...and by feeding that to your dog, you are definately NOT saving money I'll tell you that much.

I'm very suspicious about people like you since you are coming into an informative dog forum and asking people to send you $10.00. Who are you, what is the name of your business, where is the address, what are you trying to do here? You say that you have a thorough understanding of canine psychology? That's great but what does that have to do with nutrition?

I make home made dog food for my pets every now and then. Tell me, is your food completely balanced in nutrition? What is the ph to ca ratio? What is the protein, fat, and carb percentage? How much do I feed a 55 lb dog as compared to a 10 lb dog?

I don't see any honesty or sencerity in your "ad"...and I am dissapointed that you are advertising in the first place as there are guildelines in this forum about that.

olbrent

I am not in business, I am just a person who has decided a long time ago that all dry feed is less than ideal. Sled dogs eat very well and no dry food can provide them the nutrition they need. I refrain from using ingredients that may bring up the protien up to a dangerous level so as to protect their livers. Since I know how to keep fleas out of our environment through steps in the home setting as well as with my feed I have been able to eliminate introduction of chemicals to my family and pets, since many questions arise when someone takes on a drastic change such as this, I give my cell number and can take calls from 7am to midnite to answer questions regarding all pest questions not just fleas as I promote elimination of pests on a pest by pest level. No need to spray usually. The $10 is to offset phone bills etc. I have not nor expect this to even come close to breaking even. I am honest enough to say that I have just put a price on the program as I was offering the recipe for free, even before I included the pest control info, I was creating quite a phone bill as I offered my assistance regarding teaching people to successfully train their dogs as well. I am sincere and not out to rip anyone off, I have to high of a belief in "you reap what you sow". If I find myself too busy to make my food for the dogs I will feed Purina for a few days. If I have not been generating alot of leftover bones I want them to eat dry food to make sure their teeth do not suffer. If the operators of this site feel it breaks too many rules, by all means remove it! I only want to help as many dog owners in as many ways as possible, as I have spent 30 plus years learning about the canine species. I have recently begun setting up a dog owner training class using the printable Chazhound basic beginners course as it most closely backs up my understanding of dogs and their psychology. I am doing this free for the betterment of my community and the dog species. I will use recipe/pest control program income to buy ink and paper for the printing of the course so the people can all be on the same page when my wife and I meet with them. I hope the course I am referring to is part of this Chazhound outfit. E-mail me with questions so I can get you my phone number so any questions can be answered. Thank you, Brent

Last edited:

olbrent

I read the ingredients and found no pesticides listed. I find a day or so of that feed helps teeth, I work out of town as well so there are times when I am un able to cook food, and since, contrary to advertising, most so called premium feed is not much better I choose it. I am saving money making feed so why would I buy a "health food" and throw my savings out the window? I said in the previous post that only lack of time or bones to chew is the only time I feed dry food at all. My kids eat pretty healthy too. but they still get to eat chemical filled big macs if mom does not have time to cook once in a while. Brent

olbrent

I have never seen such negative response on the hog and deer hunting sites where I usually spend my internet time, :confused: I will help all interested dog owners but I did not come here to argue dry dog food as all are junk IMO :D I look foward to hearing from dog owners truly interested in bettering their dogs lives! Brent

olbrent

I have never seen a problem with their teeth but feared I would. I will try letting them go for several months to check it out thank you. I do know of these chemicals in feed but never thought my homemade food would let them keep clean teeth as it a "wet" food. I personally cook mine but mainly due to the fact that only one of my pitbulls eat raw meat. Thanks again for enlighting me, maybe I should be more confident in my feeding technique! Brent

candy722

So what you guys feed your dogs? Im wondering if I not feeding my dog right just reading what you guys talk. ok I feed my yorkie Nutro natural choice Ultra for puppies. He will soon be 1 year old and I need advice on what brand of dog food I should get when he turns adult? Any ideas?

Candy, if you'll go to the Health Forum, you'll find lots of good threads with feeding information and reference links. Do check out www.greatdanelady.com , even if you don't have a chance to read the threads. Linda Arndt has some of the best nutritional information available.

You can do a lot better than the Nutro brands without spending much more money. Actually, you'll feed less of higher quality foods, and with a dog as small as a Yorkie, it really isn't that much of a difference anyway.

pitbulliest

I feed home cooked when I have time to make it (I haven't tried raw, it would probably save me a heck of alot of time and my dogs would avoid kibble more often, but I'm still uncomfortable with the idea of feeding raw....ahh..maybe some day lol)...

Most of the time, however, they do get timberwolf organics kibble. In my opinion, I consider it one of the best dry dog foods out there...I believe its better than wellness, especially after trying both out...my dogs are happier with the latter.

Mine have eaten Innova puppy since the beginning, and I've just switched them to the Innova EVO and we're thrilled with it. The dogs are crazy about it, and it's so nutrient dense that it takes much less to feed them.

Chaz feeds his Shelties Flint River. Canidae is a good feed; I think Tl Ashmore feeds that to her dogs (if I'm remembering correctly) since Dixie developed some skin allergies. There are quite a few very good quality feeds to choose from. Two things to look for are organic and human grade ingredients. If it doesn't meet those two criteria, don't even bother to waste your time reading the rest of the information on the food.

candy2232

please read this article

Please read this article about canned/dry dog food vs. homemade dog food.

Homemade pet food is simple to create
"Critter Corner"
By CAROLYN STEIGMAN

Dec. 20, 2001

What would you say if you discovered your neighbor feeds his child moldy grains and rotted meat? Child abuse, no doubt.

Many dog owners feed the same thing to their beloved pets and never even know it. A 1-pound can of "nutritionally complete" dog food can sell for less than 50 cents. However, if even the cheapest ground beef is $2 per pound, one has to wonder what's in that can.

Veterinarian Shawn Messonnier, in his book "The Allergy Solution for Dogs," states, "Pet food provides a place for slaughterhouse waste and grains considered 'unfit for human consumption' to be turned into profit. This waste includes cow tongues, esophagi and possibly diseased and cancerous meat."

The grains are the hulls and remains from milling or items deemed unfit for humans because of mold, contaminants or poor storage practices. No wonder some cans have a smell that drives everyone from the kitchen when they're opened.

Owners may have become convinced that preparing dog food at home is a difficult and time-consuming process. In truth, it's neither.

"If you're willing to prepare food for your pet at home, know that most holistic doctors feel that a homemade diet is simply the best food for your pet," Messonnier states.

Several years ago, after our dog spent two days at the emergency vet with a serious intestinal reaction to common ingredients in a top brand of commercial dog food, I decided to switch to homemade dog food. It takes me about five minutes twice a day.

The improvement in my dog's health and energy level is remarkable. Even though she is 9 years old, she wants to play again like a puppy. Also, since there's no filler in the food, there's less to clean up in the yard.

There are basically four parts to a well-balanced diet for a dog: proteins, grains, vegetables and supplements.

According to a recipe adapted from "Prepared Dog and Cat Diets" by Strombeck D. Home, the daily protein for a 25-35 pound dog could include any one of the following: three large hard-boiled eggs, one cup of 2-percent cottage cheese, 1/3 pound cooked lean meat, 2/3 cup tofu, or 1 cup cooked soybeans.

The grain may be 2 cups cooked rice or 2/3 cups of cooked potatoes with the skin. I personally prefer cooked noodles and keep a supply for several days in the refrigerator.

Some people are surprised to learn that dogs need to eat vegetables, but they are omnivores, just like humans. A good source is ½-1 cup of raw or steamed carrots. Broccoli or green beans also are good, but need to be cooked first to make them more digestible.

Alfalfa sprouts have been reported to be good for the skin and can reduce the flaking that come from dry homes.

The supplements include 2 tablespoons canola oil, a multivitamin made for dogs, ¼ teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute), and four bonemeal tablets or calcium supplement. A vet can help obtain the calcium and vitamin supplements.

Monitoring the dog's weight will provide a custom-made guide to the proper amounts.

A few books that can provide more information are "Canine Nutrition: What Every Owner, Breeder and Trainer Should Know" by veterinarian Lowell Ackerman, and "Natural Food Recipes for Healthy Dogs" by Carol Bresher Boyle.

A recipe for a simple homemade dog treat can be found at www.iolinc.net on the Web.

Members online

No members online now.