Geocaching

elegy

overdogged
Does anybody else play this game? I have been doing it for about two months now and I'm hideously addicted.

http://www.geocaching.com/

I am constantly amazed by how creative and clever people are with this. Last weekend I went on an "expedition" with some other local cachers to find the Raiders of the Lost Cache. It was epic.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
We used to be into it years ago.
Glad to see it has become so big!

Thanks for the link, might have to get back into it ;)

yoko

It's a lot of fun. It gets addicting when your found count starts getting high.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Checked the site and found that the woods where we walk the dogs every day has FIVE caches!

Went to look for them today but the GPS was acting up and didn't find any :-/
Back again tomorrow to look

elegy

overdogged
There's one I might do tomorrow that in order to log it, you have to bring your dog (or a dog-- creativity is acceptable).

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Is there an app on your phone (android) that would allow you to pinpoint your gps location? I'd like to get into this when I get out to Colorado.

Brattina88

I looked into it years ago, and there weren't any in my area. I just checked though and there's a lot more now! It must have really gained some popularity since then.... I am definitely going to have to try it!

yoko

Is there an app on your phone (android) that would allow you to pinpoint your gps location? I'd like to get into this when I get out to Colorado.
I can't remember the name of the one I used but I remember on my old android phone I had an app that was a GPS and once you found a cache it allowed you to mark it on a few different geocaching sites.

The only issue was I found in wooded areas my phone definitely wasn't as accurate as my actual GPS. So some times it would take longer to find things or you'd just have to cover a lot more ground because your phone would loose the signal kind of easy so one minute you'd be almost to the area then it'd jump and tell you that you were way far off.

amberdyan

I LOVE geocaching. It's pretty much my favorite low-cost/free activity. The app I use it c:geo. You log into your geocaching.com account from there and you can easily pinpoint your locations with the gps on it.

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
I just downloaded c:geo and I'm having trouble finding the coordinates for the caches? All I can find is the distance from where I am.
Is there some sort of trick to this? Or am I just missing something totally obvious? lol

amberdyan

I just downloaded c:geo and I'm having trouble finding the coordinates for the caches? All I can find is the distance from where I am.
Is there some sort of trick to this? Or am I just missing something totally obvious? lol

Are you trying to use a separate GPS? Or the GPS on the app? Also, I see that you're in Canada and I'm in the U.S., so hopefully there's nothing drastically different. It's probably nearly the same, I have friends who use C:Geo in England and there are almost no differences.

If you're using the GPS on the app, make sure your "location" or "GPS" is on. go to the main page (assuming you're logged in) and hit "live map". All of the caches in your area should show up. click on one nearby. Information will pop up. Click on "more details."

Then you should be able to see a map down at the bottom of the screen. Click on that. This should pop up options.

You can click "compass" and it will literally show a compass to guide you to the area. This is best used when you are already close, as it does not take things like roads into account. It gives you "as the crow flies" directions. There are also options for Navigation: Walking, Navigation: Driving, Navigation: Biking. I always just click the one that says "Map." Then I know I am the blue triangle, and the little green symbol is the cache. I zoom in and walk/drive until I'm right on top of it an then start looking!

If you want to use a different GPS and just want the coordinates to the cache, do the same thing I told you above, but DON'T click on the map at the bottom of the screen. Stay on the "more information" page. The coordinates are located on that page, just above the strange symbols, and below your state and country.

If you need any more help, I can take screen shots. I'm addicted to geocaching and definitely don't mind helping people get into it!

ETA: You're definitely not missing obvious stuff- this app is actually pretty complicated until you get the hang of it. I couldn't even figure out how to log in the first time without help, lol.

elegy

overdogged
c:geo is what I use as well. It definitely has a learning curve!

I use the paid app on my iPhone and I'm a paid member on the site as well. Handy if you get a gps unit, you can download pocket queries (all the caches within a given area) and premium (member only) caches.

iPhone/android is fine to get started, but once you really get into it you might want to buy yourself a decent gps. Although I can log caches to the site from my phone, which is handy. Can also save them to log from home or Timmies (wifi).

For those of you in the States, saw this through a Facebook group:

http://michelin.geocaching.com/

For a free trackable scroll down to the bottom and sign up. I can't :( not available in Canada.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.