Rat people - HELP!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
OMG, I'm having a mild freak out moment.

Biggs has a freaking....THING in his ear. I have no idea what it is. At first I thought it was a freaking larva of some kind, but it isn't. I don't think. It is brown and hard and crusty and jutting out of his ear. I tried to get it out with tweezers thinking maybe it was just a huge chunk of wax (or maybe he got poop stuck in his ear), but it's stuck, so I'm 99% sure it is attached to his ear. Not his inner ear, but the inside of the outer ear.

IT IS FREAKING GROSS.

I have never seen anything like it. He didn't seem bothered when I was yanking on it, so I don't think it is hurting him. I noticed him scratching at his ears the other night, but otherwise he's completely normal.

I'm going to take him in to work with me tomorrow to see if my vet's know WTF it is, but they aren't pocket pet people and will probably be just as stumped as I am.

Has ANYONE heard of anything like this before?

HELP. It is creeping me out. And I don't want anything to be wrong with Biggs. :(

PICTURE - it isn't very noticeable in the photo, but it's there. Trust me. When he turns it head it sticks out more:

(I am going to try to take it out again...oh, God, I hope it is just ear wax. Or maybe a wart. A wart would be okay. I think.)

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
If I were you I'd be yanking that thing out of his ear. Gross.

I also know nothing about rats, so there's that :p

*blackrose

If I were you I'd be yanking that thing out of his ear. Gross.

I also know nothing about rats, so there's that :p
I TRIED.

It is attached. It's going no where. It is totally giving me the creeps.

I'm pretty sure it's a growth. Nothing flaked off of it when I was tweezing it (if it was just wax, I'd think some of it would break apart). And as much as I keep freaking out thinking it is a worm, I really doubt it is. I don't even think a tick could have hung on as tough as this thing did. But even with me yanking on it, he really didn't care. He was more upset that I was holding him still.

I'm going with warty growth.

The question is, will it keep growing and causing issues? Hopefully I can get some answers tomorrow with the handy dandy pocket pet medical guide the vets have.

Two more (bad) photos:

(^ You can see why when I first saw it, I thought, "ZOMG, HE HAS A WORM IN HIS FREAKING EAR!!!!")

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I have no idea, but you might try posting on GooseMoose and see if they have any ideas?

Poor guy :(
Definitely let us know what they say tomorrow!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Huh I don't know. One of mine had a melanoma on his ear, but from what I can see in your pictures it doesn't look alike (or like the other melanoma pictures I've seen).

Hopefully someone you work with will know more!

*blackrose

Well, we got it out of his ear. Best guess is that it was a polyp. Bled pretty bad when we removed it, but it didn't act as if it bothered him. We're going to treat him for mites just in case, because otherwise we are stumped as to why it occurred in the first place. Nothing in any of the books like it. So right now I'm just crossing my fingers hoping it doesn't come back! Or grow *in* his ear where it can't be removed so easily.

Members online

No members online now.