Caesar keeps having diarrhea

He had it all over his crate last night and all over my car today when Justin went on a quick errand with them. He's drinking a lot of water which is good I guess. He ate some of his dinner last night but not all of it. I sorta bribed him with a little bit of canned dog food (Chicken Soup). Doesn't seem to be acting abnormally but I guess we don't really know what's "normal" yet.

When should I start to worry?

babymomma

Remembering Casey ♥
Give him a bit of Canned pure pumkin or something.

I dunno when you should start to worry. The dog is probably still a little stressed from being in a new enviroment sooo.. I dunno..

God luck though!

Yeah, I mean, Maggie has diarrhea and vomiting sometimes but never this much. Justin pretty much just has to keep him outside and it's just constant. I'm just worried that he caught something in the kennel :( And what if he gives it to Maggie?

Justin says he seems uncomfortable. BUT at least he's drinking plenty of water still.

I can't help but worry :p They're my babies.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
The canned pumpkin is a good idea, but it might also be a good idea to scoop some of it and take it to the vet for a fecal.

Yeah I think I'll do that too. Wonder if I have to make an appointment for that... because they haven't seen him before since I just got him Friday.

Call the vet first thing in the a.m. Hopefully they can squeeze him in. Normally I don't get too worried about diarrhea when there's been a major change in a dog's situation unless it keeps on consistently, but having come from the kennel like that I'd tend to want a check up as soon as possible.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i would take him and a fecal to the vets, hes new so should get a good check up anyway (and im sure your vet will want to get to know him...
and he should definatly get checked for worms and giardia/parisites (both are common in kennel/shelter situations)

untill then you can give him pepto bismal if you dont have acesst to none sweetened canned pumpkin, dose at 1 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight twice a day...it may darken the poop but should help with the icky tummy untill the vet can get a look at him.

its probbaly a cimbination of stress and excitment (is he on a new food brand also?) but id want a fecal just incase...

if the vets cant fit him in today ask if you can drop off a fecal sample for them to check so you can get it under control and get him booked in for his first check asap :)

Thanks guys. I don't think we'll be able to actually get him into the vet tomorrow because we would have to get him in before 11am since we both have to work... but I'll try, and we can at least hopefully take a stool sample in. He hasn't eaten much yet since we've had him. He ate a liiiiittle bit last night, the Eukanuba he was on as well as a small handful of TOTW and a couple spoonfuls of canned dog food. I'll pick up some canned pumpkin on my way home from work. Justin's watching him, he doesn't want to leave him unsupervised.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
hmm this sounds like what Finnegan had. He has some sort of parasite (can't remember the name) that the vaccines don't protect against. If it is, it is contagious to any other animals in the house and to humans.

They don't even really need a stool sample if it is this... they just ask a bunch of questions and such (atleast they didn't here)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
He probably picked up something from the shelter; get him into your vet as soon as you can. Otherwise, you're doing everything right and it'll just take some time to settle in. :)

I was worried to death when Sawyer wouldn't really eat the first week I had him home...he was just adjusting to his new home and being on his own.

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
Uncle Fred came with horrible bloody mucous filled diarrhea. He had Giardia, worms, and amebic dysentary--which they normally don't test for. Fortunately, Enterameba Histolytica, like giardai, responds well to Flagyl. I was told that these kinds of problems are common in shelter dogs. when it is as bad as what UF had, it takes time and patience to fix, but it can be fixed.

T

tessa_s212

For sure take in a fecal to test for worms. That is an inexpensive test they can do without an appointment or having to see him in case they can't fit him in. But do make sure to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to be seen, and make sure they know he came from a shelter and is having diarrhea. If it is a good vet hospital, they'll squeeze you in as soon as possible.

thanks everyone :) Wow drmom... I would definitely be a lot more worried if he had bloody mucousy diarrhea. Poor Uncle Fred! Hopefully my boy just has a mild case of whatever it is... hopefully it doesn't get worse....

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Probably not, unless he doesn't stop vomiting or you start seeing blood in either stool or vomit or he refuses water. Pull all food for the rest of the day and monitor his water intake.

Good vibes!

drmom777

Bloody but Unbowed
O would make sure he is well hydrated and get the poor boy in in the morning. Unless you think he might have gotten into something toxic. I think you will be on pins and needles until the morning keeping an eye on him.

I don't think he got into anything bad. He seems to do pretty well keeping himself hydrated. We have to refill both bowls a few times a day! With Maggie, she would drink maybe half a bowl of water a day, unless it was really hot or she exercised a lot.

Yeah, I have to work tomorrow at 8am but Justin doesn't have to leave for work until 11:30. Hopefully he can take him in before that... or I might try to get Justin to take the day off tomorrow though unless we can leave him at the vet. I can't have him having vomiting and diarrhea all day long in his crate!

Members online

No members online now.