What is it with the media's infatuation with 'bad rap' breeds?

Once again........we had a news story last night of "pit bull attack" tune in at 9! UGHHHHHHHHH I went straight to my lap top and sent a letter to the editor. What a great resource this thread has been in getting the point across. What a sad sad life most of these poor dogs have.

It was encouraging to me that all three of our local newscasts ran extensive coverage of the first felony trial and conviction for animal abuse here. The stepfather murdered (and they actually used the word 'murder' - how's that for progress) his stepdaughter's Jack Russell puppy by beating it and crushing it in a door. He got two 2 year sentences, and the outrage that's been the result is making the law makers go back and re-examine the sentencing guidelines for felonious animal abuse to make them more severe.

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
Oh my God how can people do those kind of things and sleep at night? Where did this happen? I hope that monster ends up in a cell with some dog lovers. I would not be able to contain myself if I ever met someone that did that.

Saje

Island dweller
Melissa S. said:
Once again........we had a news story last night of "pit bull attack" tune in at 9! UGHHHHHHHHH I went straight to my lap top and sent a letter to the editor. What a great resource this thread has been in getting the point across. What a sad sad life most of these poor dogs have.
Good. Melissa. that's what you need to do. Let me know if they print it.

Ok, somebody said something about the editors and peeps not knowing squat about differnet dog breeds, etc. Well, before you print something, shouldn't you make sure you were right? I mean, if you have no knowladge on the subject, shouldn't you ask someone who does? That is how rumors get started, is it not? You say something you actually have no proof on, and then wham! it comes back and hits you from behind. That was just my thought.

Saje

Island dweller
That's a good point. It all just depends on what she wrote. Maybe that's what she wrote - that they should have proof that it was a pitbull :D

Most of my letter discussed the fact that they present articles such as these without telling other sides of stories. I said that in addition to discussing stories like these, they should think about discussing responsible dog ownership and how these kinds of problems should be presented with helpful information to prevent such tragic situations from happening again. I talked about how these things arise not because of the breeds of dog, but rather because of the owners that fail to control, supervise, maintain and properly train the breed of dog they choose to keep.

Saje

Island dweller
that'll work. :) You may start a firey debate in your paper. What paper is it? Is it online?

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
My mum was attacked by a GSD when she was a little girl. It jumped over a fence and attacked her head! She had to have 22 stiches in her face and head. But even she doesn't blame the dog! It was protecting it's territory and she had just got too close! Nothing was done about it really, and now she is cautious around GSD (understandably!) but she still likes them!!

MoparStar said:
Oh my God how can people do those kind of things and sleep at night? Where did this happen? I hope that monster ends up in a cell with some dog lovers. I would not be able to contain myself if I ever met someone that did that.
Believe me on this one; he's going to have a very, very bad time being locked up - from both sides of the bars. He won't be staying in county facilities, although it would still be bad in the county where he was convicted. He'll be going to a state facility with people who aren't concerned about getting parole. He'll find plenty of mates who like dogs and plenty who just don't like someone who would do that to a child. And no one will care what happens to him while he's there.

I've found a funny anomaly when I've had to talk to clients in jails: a lot of the ones who have committed some of the more violent acts seem to have a real soft spot for pets.

Saje

Island dweller
Too bad.

They may right back. Did your local paper write anything about it?

Saje

Island dweller
:)

Well, I was just thinking that if they did you could write (or resend) your letter and they might print it. They usually do. Or they should. We print good and bad letters.

well I couldn't find it in the paper. I did get a response back from the news station; it said "Thank you for you comments" So at least I know they got it! :)

This was a long and interesting thread. I have only ever been bit by two dogs, one was a black lab who "Never bites!" lol and a Lasso Apso spelling?)

Both were unprovoked by me, but not without reason I'm sure. The first time there was a lot of chaos and I think it scared the dog... if that were my only defence, I'd bite too.

The second was Spike, and I pet him too closely to an recent injury and I think I scared him.

I have five dogs now, one black lab, three that are black lab mixes and a basset hound. (I need to post some picks for sure) but my "Two boys" are extremely aggressive when people come to our gate and have bit several people.

I have very mixed emotions about this. Once someone is in the yard... they're fine. But so many kids have taunted my dogs and thrown things at them that, well I think that's why they act this way.

But I have no doubt in my mind that they would never hurt anyone in my family. My girls have hit them, stomped on them, tackled them, tried to ride them and all sorts of things and they just roll over and take it. If anything, they come hide behind me or my husband so we can get the girls off. =0)

I've been around rotties, dobermans and pit bulls and never been bit... So I guess I just wanted to share too.

poodlesmom

Here's an article I came across where the media actually reported a good story on a one of the so-called "dangerous" breeds!

Dog rushes to help

Pit bull ran outside to rescue woman stranded in cold

By DEREK PUDDICOMBE, Ottawa Sun

IT WAS about -40C and Noella Mitchell lay helpless on the handicap ramp leading up to her home. She would soon be staring into the eyes of a pit bull and thinking she was about to die. The 42-year-old woman left her Craig Henry home one very cold morning last January to complete an errand. When she returned about 30 minutes later, she lost her balance and fell to the ground.

Mitchell, who suffers from Graves' Disease which causes muscular weakness, wasn't able to pull herself up. Her attempts to right herself using her walker were futile.

Before her fall, she was able to open the door enough so if somebody was inside they would have been able to hear her cries for help. However, her two children and a friend of her son's living at the house had already left for the day.

Two months earlier, her son had come to his mother and asked if a friend could stay with them for a while. Mitchell hesitated because the boarder came with Cloe, a two-year-old female pit bull.

ATTACKED AS CHILD

Mitchell is dreadfully afraid of dogs. When she was a 10-year-old girl living in Montreal, she was attacked by a German Shepherd.

When Mitchell finally agreed to her son's request, it was on the condition that since she is confined to the first floor of the home, Cloe would be kept upstairs at all times.

On the ramp with her leg lying partially in the snow, Mitchell could hear the dog upstairs clawing at the bedroom door and moments later she looked up to see Cloe running towards her.

"When I saw her, I thought I was dead," she said.

But to her surprise, Mitchell said Cloe began licking her face and trying to bring attention to her fall. "She sat there beside me howling and barking and she started to lick the side of my legs."

At one point, the dog attempted to pull Mitchell inside the house by grabbing onto her jacket.

After about 30 minutes outside, the owner of the dog arrived home and helped Mitchell inside.

She figures Cloe, determined to rush to her aid, somehow managed to get the bedroom door open.

"I will never lock her up again," said Mitchell.

Aw, that is such a sweet story, poodlesmom! I can imagine the puppy now....licking the woman's face with love and concern.....Pits are such wonderful dogs.

Members online

No members online now.