Lets talks Flat Coated Retrievers

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
So I know Shai has one, who btw is gorgeous.

I am not much of a retriever fan but Flatties have always been one of my hidden secret favorite breeds.

How much are they alike Goldens and Labs? And what are their differences from them?

Are they a healthy breed?

How common are they?
I've only met 3, and seen maybe 5, my whole life. So I don't presume they are popular down here in South GA since most people have Labs, but they are gorgeous dogs.

I've narrowed my "first" dog breeds to Aussies, Flatties, or another Scottie. I say "first" cause I will be out on my own (well with TJ) and I will be solely responsible for the dog, so I consider the my first dog, even though Bear (Scottie) was MY first dog, but dad helped me pay for vet bills, food bills, etc. And with this dog I am getting when I move to FL, it will be MINE in every shape of the word.

Anything else that yall can share on Flatties will be appreciated.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Keep in mind i don't OWN one but i know quite a few.

How much are they alike Goldens and Labs? And what are their differences from them?
They seem more goofy but also have a very serious side when it comes to work, the girls moreso than the boys. They can be downright ridiculous in a different way than other retrievers, it's hard to explain. The instinct to retrieve is super strong in them, stronger than most other retrievers i know. They really have to be taught to leave it alone or expect your flattie to retrieve you everything they find (my instructor wrote about K finding a pair of underwear on a walk once and bringing it to her). They don't seem to be as watered down for the show ring as Goldens and Labs either, most breeders i've researched still at least do field testing if not hunting with their dogs among other active things.

In short. No. Cancer is huge in the breed and their life expectancy is short. Saying that, K is a couple months from 10 i believe and he's still going strong. Selecting breeders that have longer lived dogs is the way to go.

How common are they?
Not terribly common. Though i'm within driving distance to two excellent breeders and in my club alone there are 5 and soon to be more so i see quite a few. My aunt has 4 alone and then of course Kaleb.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I'll add more later but since you mentioned Georgia -- the FCRSA National Specialty is in Georgia in April 2013 so if you want to see a LOT of FCRs in one place... :)

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Keep in mind i don't OWN one but i know quite a few.

They seem bouncier and more goofy but also have a very serious side, the girls moreso than the boys. They can be downright ridiculous in a different way than other retrievers, it's hard to explain.

In short. No. Cancer is huge in the breed and their life expectancy is short. Saying that, K is a couple months from 10 i believe and he's still going strong. Selecting breeders that have longer lived dogs is the way to go.

Not terribly common. Though i'm within driving distance to two excellent breeders and in my club alone there are 5 and soon to be more so i see quite a few. My aunt has 4 alone and then of course Kaleb.
Aw I didn't know their life spans were short, everywhere I have read said 10-13 years. So maybe some sites need to update their stuff?

Cancer is a b!tch.

They are gorgeous dogs and I love they have a more serious side that Labs or Goldens. The 3 I met were pretty serious dogs, but then again they were 6+ yrs, and one died when he was 11 yrs old and the other 2 died before their 8th birthday :(

One lady described them as "serious Goldens with an edge". Does that kind of sum them up?
I LOVE Goldens, but I don't like how super soft they are. Though, if I found the right one, it might be a different story.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I'll add more later but since you mentioned Georgia -- the FCRSA National Specialty is in Georgia in April 2013 so if you want to see a LOT of FCRs in one place... :)
OOOH! That might be something to go to. Thank you!

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
TOTES GOING. HA. AWESOME.

Will you be there with Mira?! :D

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Okay I have my first FCR and she is only 2 years old. I do speak with and share stories with dozens and dozens of FCRs owners around the country on a daily basis, and meet every FCR I can, etc. Just something to bear in mind.

Which Goldens and Labs? I mean there are similarities but there are differences too. I've met field Goldens that are rather similar to FCRs. I don't know many working Labs.

Physically they tend to be rather lighter bodied than Goldens or Labs, though again there are field Goldens with rather similar body type (and often, rather similar heads too). They don't have an undercoat, unlike those breeds, but don't let that fool you into thinking they don't shed because they do, and a lot.

In general they are, and should be, extremely birdy with a lot of desire to retrieve. They also have what I can only describe as a genetic oral fixation. They will almost always have something, sometimes several somethings, in their mouth. Up to you to make sure that those items are ones of your choosing. They have an odd way of taking life very seriously while completely lacking in seriousness. I'm not sure whether they have a crazy sense of humor, or just have a really open mind and don't give a d*** whether what they find awesome is awesome to anyone else lol. Water and muck and quite often poop-eating seem to be common activities to be enthusiastically embraced (Mira is not a poop-eater, thank goodness). And by that I mean I took Mira to the ball diamond when she was about 16 weeks old and in a few minutes she had somehow found a 6" across hole covered in grass and filled with water, and instantly was buried in it and solid brown. A natural desire which has not diminished with time.

Energy level varies by line. They tend to be higher energy than your average Golden or Lab, but Goldens and Labs vary so much it's hard to make a comparison. Mira is from some of the more amped-up lines, shall we say, but she has a good off switch as long as I am extremely self-disciplined, and this is something we've kept as a "must" since the day she came home at 10 weeks. But I know quite a few FCRs that seem to be naturally fine just chilling, as long as they are given appropriate outlets for their energy when needed.

Mental exercise is good but they really need their physical outlet as well. More so than herding breeds I've met anyway, who of course also need their physical outlet but throw themselves into mental work and can exhaust themselves that way more readily.

I'll cut myself off now lol

No. They've had a very small gene pool following the population crash in the early-mid 20th century, before which they seem to have been more popular than Goldens in their native English (if you can believe that...Goldens and FCRs were once the same breed, hence the comparison). Cancer is their downfall. They are susceptible to an exhausting list of cancers, some of which are nearly unique to FCRs. It is because of cancer that their average lifespan is 8 years. Those that make it to 8 seem to be good for a while but very very few make it past 12. And believe me when I say that the knowledge that my TWO year old is, statistically, 1/4 of the way through the expected lifespan makes me sick to my stomach. If I decide to not get another FCR, this will be the reason. That said, mine is from relatively long-lived lines and is an outcross (for the breed) to boot, so I will hope for the best in her case.

Outside of cancer, if one can look past such a thing, they have a low incidence of joint problems for a large breed (4.2% show signs of HD according to OFA, and they are a breed with a high % of testing). Some lines have had epilepsy pop up, some dogs have had allergies, but these are all low incidence. PRA is possible but extremely rare. I could go on but basically their only common health issue is cancer, but as stated above, it's a huge problem.

How common are they?
I've only met 3, and seen maybe 5, my whole life. So I don't presume they are popular down here in South GA since most people have Labs, but they are gorgeous dogs.
Not common but not particularly uncommon. Varies by area of the country. Like Mandy is near two of the most well-known breeders in Canada so it's not surprising that she sees a lot of FCRs. I too am near quite a few breeders and I tend to see FCRs when I'm out doing formal dog activities, but I've never just run into one on the street. A lot of people know what they are, however.

I've narrowed my "first" dog breeds to Aussies, Flatties, or another Scottie. I say "first" cause I will be out on my own (well with TJ) and I will be solely responsible for the dog, so I consider the my first dog, even though Bear (Scottie) was MY first dog, but dad helped me pay for vet bills, food bills, etc. And with this dog I am getting when I move to FL, it will be MINE in every shape of the word.
I don't see much similar between Aussies, FCRs, and Scotties, lol, but as I have a herder, retriever, and terrier in my house as I type I can understand liking very different dogs for different reasons :p

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions feel free to ask...I'll try to answer, perhaps Mandy knows, or I'll see if I can find the answer for you elsewhere.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
TOTES GOING. HA. AWESOME.

Will you be there with Mira?! :D
I don't know. I was at the 2010 Specialty and will be at the 2012 one as well. I don't really plan to be at 2013 but since 2014 is in Oregon, I think, I don't know when our next chance will be so...it's all up in the air at the moment.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Okay I have my first FCR and she is only 2 years old. I do speak with and share stories with dozens and dozens of FCRs owners around the country on a daily basis, and meet every FCR I can, etc. Just something to bear in mind.

Which Goldens and Labs? I mean there are similarities but there are differences too. I've met field Goldens that are rather similar to FCRs. I don't know many working Labs.

Physically they tend to be rather lighter bodied than Goldens or Labs, though again there are field Goldens with rather similar body type (and often, rather similar heads too). They don't have an undercoat, unlike those breeds, but don't let that fool you into thinking they don't shed because they do, and a lot.

In general they are, and should be, extremely birdy with a lot of desire to retrieve. They also have what I can only describe as a genetic oral fixation. They will almost always have something, sometimes several somethings, in their mouth. Up to you to make sure that those items are ones of your choosing. They have an odd way of taking life very seriously while completely lacking in seriousness. I'm not sure whether they have a crazy sense of humor, or just have a really open mind and don't give a d*** whether what they find awesome is awesome to anyone else lol. Water and muck and quite often poop-eating seem to be common activities to be enthusiastically embraced (Mira is not a poop-eater, thank goodness). And by that I mean I took Mira to the ball diamond when she was about 16 weeks old and in a few minutes she had somehow found a 6" across hole covered in grass and filled with water, and instantly was buried in it and solid brown. A natural desire which has not diminished with time.

Energy level varies by line. They tend to be higher energy than your average Golden or Lab, but Goldens and Labs vary so much it's hard to make a comparison. Mira is from some of the more amped-up lines, shall we say, but she has a good off switch as long as I am extremely self-disciplined, and this is something we've kept as a "must" since the day she came home at 10 weeks. But I know quite a few FCRs that seem to be naturally fine just chilling, as long as they are given appropriate outlets for their energy when needed.

Mental exercise is good but they really need their physical outlet as well. More so than herding breeds I've met anyway, who of course also need their physical outlet but throw themselves into mental work and can exhaust themselves that way more readily.

I'll cut myself off now lol

No. They've had a very small gene pool following the population crash in the early-mid 20th century, before which they seem to have been more popular than Goldens in their native English (if you can believe that...Goldens and FCRs were once the same breed, hence the comparison). Cancer is their downfall. They are susceptible to an exhausting list of cancers, some of which are nearly unique to FCRs. It is because of cancer that their average lifespan is 8 years. Those that make it to 8 seem to be good for a while but very very few make it past 12. And believe me when I say that the knowledge that my TWO year old is, statistically, 1/4 of the way through the expected lifespan makes me sick to my stomach. If I decide to not get another FCR, this will be the reason. That said, mine is from relatively long-lived lines and is an outcross (for the breed) to boot, so I will hope for the best in her case.

Outside of cancer, if one can look past such a thing, they have a low incidence of joint problems for a large breed (4.2% show signs of HD according to OFA, and they are a breed with a high % of testing). Some lines have had epilepsy pop up, some dogs have had allergies, but these are all low incidence. PRA is possible but extremely rare. I could go on but basically their only common health issue is cancer, but as stated above, it's a huge problem.

Not common but not particularly uncommon. Varies by area of the country. Like Mandy is near two of the most well-known breeders in Canada so it's not surprising that she sees a lot of FCRs. I too am near quite a few breeders and I tend to see FCRs when I'm out doing formal dog activities, but I've never just run into one on the street. A lot of people know what they are, however.

I don't see much similar between Aussies, FCRs, and Scotties, lol, but as I have a herder, retriever, and terrier in my house as I type I can understand liking very different dogs for different reasons :p

Anyway, I hope this helps. If you have any additional questions feel free to ask...I'll try to answer, perhaps Mandy knows, or I'll see if I can find the answer for you elsewhere.
Thank you a million!

The short lifespan is what drew me away from one of my dream dogs, bernese mtn dog. I hate that some breeds have such super short lifespans, it makes me very sad.

And yes, the similarities between a Aussie, FCR, and Scottie are definitely not there lol
But Aussies will always be my heart dog and I just miss Bear so much, I long for another Scottie, but he will have to be **** near perfect for me to get.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
For those interested there is a Double-Digits Flat-Coated Retriever group on FB. I think it's open so you can probably view without joining if you like. It's only a few days old but has already been populated with 10+ dogs (most are probably about age 12, with several up to 16) some of which were "only" pets right up to BISS/FCRSA Hall of Fame dogs who made quite an impact on the breed in recent years.

Anyway, if you're interested it's a place to see a lot of oldsters all together :)

Members online

No members online now.