choosing between diffrent small breeds

S

Squishy22

Just because stores and a lot of places ignore small dogs some of the time doesn't mean they're actually allowed. I don't think having a plan to take the dog 'everywhere' is a good idea at all.
Actually that may be true for some places, but when my moms pug was still a puppy, she would take her into some places. Every time, she would ASK, not just walk in and get away with it... being sneaky. Most places said that it was perfectly fine, even walking on the floor, not carrying. I hate it when people try to be sneaky about it instead of ASKING first.

S

Squishy22

I am going to disagree. Compared to Chihuahuas (Any chihuahua I have personally had, or met)..dachshunds bark more. They like to bark to alert owners to people walking by, they like to bark at small animals, they bark at the sound of other dogs barking. And its not just mine, I know a lot of people with dachshunds.

As for energy level. Mini dachshunds definitely have more energy than standards ("Mini" versions of breeds tend to have more energy). Atleast from my experience with both standard and miniature..my minis have always been energy batteries..and my standards are more laid back. For example..Reese will run around the yard doing zoomies and barking (Shes a mini), and Elliot will sit down in one spot and bark (Hes a standard).

Dachshunds LOVE To bark! And dig. I have heard from a lot of people who have carpet that when their dachshunds were left unattended at their house/apartment they even dug at the carpet by their front door, and completely destroyed it. And Jannah did that in the MIDDLE of the living room at our old house while we were sitting there watching t.v. They are dig machines. (And they will dig in covers as well).

Not sure if its just my chihuahua (Cause of her body weight issues) but even when it was 100f or above outside, she still wanted to bury herself under the covers..and was STILL acting like she was cold.
I agree. My aunt has owned dachshunds for 20 years. They bark at everything from a bird out side to a leaf tumbling on the ground. And I find their barks more annoying, because they are so loud. When I had my pure bred chihuahua, he would bark, but then he would shut up. I never had to tell him to either. He knew when enough was enough.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
i dont want u guys to get the wrong idea about me, i do not plan on parading my dog in a bag all day and sneaking it into places. its inconsiderate to others to just bring my dog. people can be allergic, scared of dogs, ect.. so asking is always the way to go
i also dont plan on bring the dog everywhere with me 24/7, its just that, my weekends are also so filled with dog friendly activities and i live in such a dog friendly place, that i really want a dog. from art fairs, to parks, to outdoor cafes, to even doggy carnivals and dog beaches.. not that these arent fun for big dogs also, but i live in an apartment, and theres just not enough space/no backyard.

and yes, the dog will be walking most of the time, i dont believe in a purse being a dogs main form of transportation lol i do love big dogs, always have and always will. and im sorry this is my 1st small dog so im a bit new to all of this. of course, the thought of a new wiggly tiny puppy makes me melt.. but i know that its not the best situation for a puppy and id love to rescue an older dog that doesnt have such a great chance of getting adopted.

S

Squishy22

i dont want u guys to get the wrong idea about me, i do not plan on parading my dog in a bag all day and sneaking it into places. its inconsiderate to others to just bring my dog. people can be allergic, scared of dogs, ect.. so asking is always the way to go
i also dont plan on bring the dog everywhere with me 24/7, its just that, my weekends are also so filled with dog friendly activities and i live in such a dog friendly place, that i really want a dog. from art fairs, to parks, to outdoor cafes, to even doggy carnivals and dog beaches.. not that these arent fun for big dogs also, but i live in an apartment, and theres just not enough space/no backyard.

and yes, the dog will be walking most of the time, i dont believe in a purse being a dogs main form of transportation lol i do love big dogs, always have and always will. and im sorry this is my 1st small dog so im a bit new to all of this. of course, the thought of a new wiggly tiny puppy makes me melt.. but i know that its not the best situation for a puppy and id love to rescue an older dog that doesnt have such a great chance of getting adopted.
I dont see a problem with it. I used to take my old chi places as well. It was great for socialization. He had regular exercise, and he was treated like a dog, not like some accessory.

Members online

No members online now.