Large, Easy Going, HEALTHY Breeds

My dad keeps asking me about larger breeds, what I know about them, how healthy they are and it seems like most he asks about (English Mastiffs, Bernese Mountain Dogs etc.) are all prone to major health issues.

So, are there any larger (60 lb and up I would say) that are relatively easy going dogs that don't require a ton of exercise, love to cuddle, that are also pretty healthy?

Not prone to DA is a must too.

iriskai

Retired Greyhound? Some may have higher prey drive, not sure if that'd be an issue.

A friend of ours has a Swiss Mountain Dog...she is as laid back as they come. She's bigger than my rottweilers are. Health-wise, I don't know if they are prone to cancers or whatever.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/greater_swiss_mountain_dog/index.cfm

She is great with their kids and she's a low energy dog.
Thanks! I'll look into them. Just seems like all those dogs are SO cancer prone and since loosing Kaylee and with Hannah on the down turn, both within a few months of eachother, to cancer it's something that is in the forefront of our minds.

Retired Greyhound? Some may have higher prey drive, not sure if that'd be an issue.
Thanks!

I'm more than likely going to be getting a grey puppy from a breeder this summer and we're going to see how my family takes to them, he's not huge on sighthounds. He's a bigger fan of big headed, big boned dogs.

Aren't retired greys rather prone to bone cancer also?

JacksonsMom

Anatolian Shepherd? Honestly no clue on cancers etc, but I've read lifespans of 13-15yrs.

Akita? I know they are kind of have a "bad rap" (along with the GSDs, Pits, Dobes, etc) but I would assume if you found the right breeder, it would be a better chance. Again, my apologies if I'm way off base, I'm not extremely knowledgeable when it comes to larger/giant breeds. I just know of a friend who is on her 3rd, and has always had them with little dogs, and they've been great family pets. But they are territorial with strangers and on their property, but they've always done well with her little dogs. Hers just died at 11.

I believe Boerboels are generally known for better health, as far giant breeds go, maybe ask Hayley on that one.

iriskai

Bone cancer is one of the most frequent health problems, though I'd be interested to see if it follows specific bloodlines more than others. And there are plenty of available adults, it'd be easier to match one to his lifestyle as opposed to taking a chance on a puppy's future temperament (unless he wants a puppy!).

I know not everyone is a fan of the slim and sleek look (my sister likes her dogs big and blocky!). My dad wasn't sure why i wanted the whippets, but after he met them, he fell in love. He wants Ezra now. :)

Btw SUPER excited for your Grey puppy. :)

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
Truth be told...any Akitas I've had in my CGC and rally classes I teach haven't been "easy going." A couple of them have been down right major ***holes.

This is from the AKC webpage -
Although known to be a quiet dog (they are known as the "Silent Hunter" in Japan), the Akita has strong guarding instincts and will sound the alarm if an intruder breaks into their house. Akita temperament can range from calm to bouncy and aggressive, so the breed should always be supervised around small children and other animals. Akitas like to be "pack leader," so obedience training is also necessary for a harmonious household.
Good breeder or not...they can be difficult to manage for someone who isn't prepared for their temperament.

JacksonsMom

Truth be told...any Akitas I've had in my CGC and rally classes I teach haven't been "easy going." A couple of them have been down right major ***holes.

This is from the AKC webpage -

Good breeder or not...they can be difficult to manage for someone who isn't prepared for their temperament.

True. Probably not the best for "not a lot of exercise" or "a lot of cuddling". I guess I was just thinking of healthy-ish for larger breed lol. I take back the Akita suggestion :p

MrsBoats

Also be aware that in the larger breeds, there is a strong link between spay and neutering before the age of at least 1 years old and osteosarcoma later in life. I think that the reason that bone cancer is so prevalent in larger breeds it it has been common place to alter larger breed puppies before a year old.

It is in my both of my puppy contracts for Lars and Ocean that neither dog is to be neutered before the age of 2. I will be really curious to see if the rates of Osteo drops now that people are more educated to the fallout of neutering larger breed dogs before they reach maturity.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Get that man an Old English Sheepdog, STAT!*

*as long as grooming isn't an issue, or he can take it to a groomer to be buzzed down.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Not any shorter than an average large breed dog. I would say from a good breeder you're looking at 12-14years on average. There are lots of mill OES, but if you stay away from that...

When I looked into Bouvier there seemed to be more temperament problems than health problems. It seemed like SSA was fairly common, and they definitely have a protective streak that someone might not want to deal with. I guess they aren't what I would call an easy dog.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Me too...the ones I have seen at agility trials I would not classify as an easy going dog. I would put them on the same plane as a Rottweiler in temperament.
I cannot tell you how many "Should you own a Bouvier" pages call them Rottweilers with more fur.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
So I think what we've learned in this thread is that OES is the perfect choice. Mainly so I can come and squish on it.

MrsBoats

I believe it! There's one Bouvier with a woman I see somewhat often at agility shows. Everyone gives her dog a wide berth when he comes through to get in the ring. But she is perfectly matched with him...because she is totally no BS. She is someone I would not mess with...she just radiates authority. But with a dog like that...she needs to.

So I think what we've learned in this thread is that OES is the perfect choice. Mainly so I can come and squish on it.
Know any breeders off hand that you would recommend?

Also, when are you coming through here? Anytime before the big meet up?

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Know any breeders off hand that you would recommend?

Also, when are you coming through here? Anytime before the big meet up?
Welp, my favoritest boy is being bred in the nearish future, but I'm not sure how far out your parents are looking? I will PM you with their kennel :)

Welp, my favoritest boy is being bred in the nearish future, but I'm not sure how far out your parents are looking? I will PM you with their kennel :)
Thank you!

And they aren't really actively looking but I know that it's going to be near impossible for my dad to not have a dog. Hannah's gone on the down turn the last few days and I'm not sure how much longer she's going to be with us.

So, if he ends up wanting to get a dog this summer I'll push back my greyhound want and help him find a big old dog for himself. I figure I should have an idea what might fit him before he goes out and just gets a dog because he has no sense about what he actually wants/should have.

This sounds super morbid, sorry. I promise this isn't "Lets replace Hannah!" but he's spent every day with that dog since she was a puppy, she goes on every carride possible, sits outside with him all summer long, sleeps next to him in the bed and is the first living being he greets when he gets home. He's gonna need something to help him heal.

Members online

No members online now.