Do you talk about Chaz?

JessLough

Love My Mutt
My parents know, some friends know, some acquaintances know. If my parents didn't know, there'd be no way to explain flying to Florida... Or NY. Or IN. Hah . Or having somebody come to get a puppy and meeting them. Or all the packages Rosey gets.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yeah that's one reason why I've never done any gift swaps... never had a way to explain why I was receiving a package, or even more strange... why I was sending a package!

Xandra

I don't like saying "a friend of mine" because if they ask how you know them then you either have to lie or admit they're a stranger you type to on the internet... which is way worse than just admitting you read it on the net to begin with IMO :lol-sign:

I mention it very rarely to family if I have to. It isn't particularly well received lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Just Em and only on occasion. Emily does forums too so it's not weird to her. :p To everyone else 'I know someone...' I don't talk dogs much with non dog friends/coworkers. At least not beyond basic stories and stuff. I always am trying to explain training class to people and that it's not dog with behavior problems training. I tried explaining agility to a coworker and got a blank stare.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
I usually say "someone from the dog forum I'm on" if it's a person I talk to rarely. Otherwise the regulars I talk with and am friends with on facebook get called friends. People already know I'm crazy about nail polish, why not dogs too?

Toller_08

I often say "someone from my dog board..." in conversations to my mom. She also knows a few chazzers and dogs by name now, because those are the dogs I share the most with her.

But other than with her, I try not to bring up people from online/dog boards very much because people would think that was odd. For people like that I usually say something like "someone I know with such and such a problem did this", or "someone I know has an 'insert breed' and...". It's just easier that way. Sometimes I'll say "an online friend said...", but I think I usually only use that with my mom too. A couple of other people know I spend time on a couple of dog boards (my grandma, the Dobermans' breeder and maybe a couple others), but I don't generally bring it up with them unless I feel it's really relevant to the conversation.

Last edited:

Maxy24

My parents, two of my brothers, one of their girlfriends, and my good friends know. The two brothers both have forums of their own so they get it, it's not like everyone doesn't already know I have a dog obsession. The other brother doesn't know, he barely approves of my life as it is lol. I'll call it "the dog forum", I don't think they'd remember it's called chazhound, my friends know you as the "forum folk". If I were talking about something from the forum to someone I'm not close to I'd likely just say someone I know. It's usually "I know someone with *this breed*" or "I know someone whose dog *did this, had this illness, etc.*

yoko

No one I talk to really knows what an online forum is so its kinda hard to explain to them

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
Just my mother. I used to be super active on another dog forum that has since closed and made lots of really good friends on there (met IRL many times, send packages routinely, etc.), so when I mention 'the dog board' my mum probably assumes I mean the same one. Usually the only time I bring it up though is when I show her cute pictures or videos that I've seen on here.

My friends, no WAY. They would think I was absolutely crazy for posting on a dog forum. Omg, I would actually never hear the end of it. :p

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
Yes, to my better half...he hears about you guys often and he often gets dragged to the computer screen to look at pictures :D

Sometimes I mention something about the online dog folks I talk to in conversation with certain friends...

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I tell people... some think I'm crazy but hey that's ok lol. I'm pretty much the crazy dog lady around here anyways and I know my family thinks I'm nuts and they sort of roll their eyes sometimes when I mention the forum, but it is what it is.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I normally would tell my friends and family, and I almost have on a couple of occasions. I mean, it really isn't the "they'd think I was crazy!" thing really, because they know about all my other dorky obsessions lol

but chaz is just so..rare. It's a breath of fresh air from the drama, the mess, the stress.. of real life. A place where for all intents and purposes I can vent and be myself and speak freely without worrying about real life reverberations. Not that there isn't drama here, but it's all very separate from my real life and I LIKE IT THAT WAY.

If I told people and people I knew IRL got involved I feel like that spell would be broken and real life stress would leak in and out of here somehow. Something I said here would offend someone IRL or I would have to censor myself in case somebody IRL saw etc..etc..

Plus I can basically say whatever I want without having to deal with the expectations of my loved ones. Making my parents proud, being a good student, a good friend, a good girlfriend.
here I can just be Fran lol

Oh and it also means I can basically talk about my personal life here without worrying about who is going to see.

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I usually just call it "the dog forum I'm on" to everyone... I talk about it to Chris & my parents & close friends... after explaining to them that people meet up, and we do the secret Santa thing, and lots of people have been on it for years... I don't think they thing I'm TOO crazy... lol.

When referring to people, ill say "my friend..." to like coworkers & people I don't know well so I can avoid a long backstory... with the above-mentioned people, Ill use a "someone from that dog forum I'm on...".

I'm guilty of sharing photos of many dogs, and videos of Backup/Sloan ;)

Saeleofu

I refer to y'all as "friends" or "someone I know" depending on how well I know you. That's about as detailed as I get. If anyone asks how I know them, I say "from the internet." Everyone knows I'm on forums, just not which ones lol.

My mum knows Traveler in particular very well and would probably steal a Trav puppy if I got one :rofl1: Sometimes I'll be looking at someone's Facebook albums for their dog(s) and my brother will sit next to me and awwww over all the pictures. Especially Moo.

Some people thought I was crazy for sending a chihuahua to some random person on the internet :rofl1: Once I had that "random person" on Facebook it became instantly acceptable, though. :confused:

Last edited:

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
The other half knows all about it. And I'll mention it if I'm referring to something I've read here.

Members online

No members online now.