What is the polite way to say...

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
...don't give my dog commands/try to train her?

I am already having this problem with Keeva. A very nice woman in a beautiful dog boutique that I otherwise really enjoy started luring her into a sit, saying, "siiiiiiiiiiiit". There three problems with this:

1.) I'm not luring anything right now. I'm trying to capture/shape everything to create an operant dog.

2.) I'm training her in German, not English.

3.) I don't want my dog obeying commands from other people, plain and simple.

I said, "Oh, she doesn't know that yet..." and the woman replied, "Oh well she can learn now!"

If she wasn't somebody I really liked and plan on having a relationship with (her beautiful shop is a 10 min walk from my apt) I would have just told her off, but...

So how would politely put "Don't ****ing train my dog"? LOL :p

SaraB

I would just say that she has a food allergy and can't take treats from anyone. ;)

I get this problem with Zuma all the time. But I'm a biznitch so I say exactly what I'm thinking... LOL

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I would just say that she has a food allergy and can't take treats from anyone. ;)
LMAO that's pretty good for the general public. Or maybe, "I'm training her to be a service dog, so she can't take commands from other people."

Although a part of me is still learning towards "**** off". LOL

SaraB

LMAO that's pretty good for the general public. Or maybe, "I'm training her to be a service dog, so she can't take commands from other people."

Although a part of me is still learning towards "**** off". LOL
That's always tempting....

Maybe just say she's in a specific type of training where it wouldn't be beneficial to have other people give her commands at this point. If they want to know more, you can then go into explaining clicker training, etc.

OR just ask them to handle her feet or look in her ears or something before giving a treat, say you would rather get her used to people handling her than taking commands from them.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
That's always tempting....

Maybe just say she's in a specific type of training where it wouldn't be beneficial to have other people give her commands at this point. If they want to know more, you can then go into explaining clicker training, etc.

OR just ask them to handle her feet or look in her ears or something before giving a treat, say you would rather get her used to people handling her than taking commands from them.
Yeah, I think you make a good point. Maybe I should just be honest but polite, and say I train for competition in a very specific way, so it's best if only I train her. And I like the handling idea too. After that, if they don't listen, then they don't need to pet my puppy.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I would just say that you're not planning on teaching her commands in English - seems like the most easily understood by JQP of your reasons, not to mention the other ones I can see people trying to dismiss or taking them the wrong way. I'd mention that they can give her treats and pet her but please don't ask her to do anything or teach her anything, as that might confuse her (it probably wouldn't, but again it's probably just easiest to say that - they'll understand easier!).

Sekah

The Monster.
Sounds like you have it covered, but I just want to reiterate the potential for you running into complications down the road if your dog doesn't comply to standardized cues. It may present problems in daycare, with dog walkers or emergency situations. I admit I like the idea of creating a dog who will respond to a very select group of people, but there's a definite benefit to keeping the basics standardized.

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Sounds like she just wanted to get her a treat, but maybe didn't want to give her out a freebie?

But I'd go with the F*** off, don't train my dog.

AmyTK9

I would just be straight forward and honest with her. She'd probably respect that as well.

Taqroy

I haven't really had anyone (other than immediate family that I can and do tell to eff off) try this with my dogs. If they did....I'd probably ask them not to in as nice a way as possible. Like "Sorry, she's going to be an obedience dog so I'm teaching things a very specific way. I'd prefer it if you didn't do that."

I like to think I'd be nice at least (says the girl who lets her parents repeat "Leave it" to Tipper constantly because Tipper's drop cue is actually "gimme!" LOL).

Red.Apricot

I've run into this problem as well, and I've found the best way to get people on your side is to explain your side. I smile, and try to keep my voice as cheerful and bright as possible, and I say, "I'd love it if you said hi and gave her a treat, but since I'm hoping to compete in obedience with her, the rewards she gets for obeying commands are really specific--timing is important! Since we're still working on appropriate greetings for strangers from her, she's already earned the snack." Obviously your wording will be different based on the situation, though.

Most people seem to appreciate being told the reasoning behind what you want, and don't mind complying. I've even had really great conversations with people about dog training come out of this, and sometimes I get offers to help me work on stuff with her, which is always welcome.

Of course, this is for people with whom I have a relationship and who will be interacting with Elsie again. For total strangers I smile as brightly as possible and say, "Oh no, please don't give her that, thank you." If they argue, I become a robot and just repeat that until they go away.

I know for me, confronting people is hard. I always get sort of shaky after, but I've found being cheerful and honest has been the most effective way of dealing with people. I've only ever had one person get terse with me, and that was before Elsie had finished her shots. My boyfriend was carrying her at the store, and a woman came up to grab her face. I stepped between them, smiled and said, "Please don't touch her!" The woman told me that I shouldn't have a puppy in public if I didn't want people to touch her. I said okay and she left, so I guess I won. d:

AliciaD

On second thought...
I know for me, confronting people is hard. I always get sort of shaky after, but I've found being cheerful and honest has been the most effective way of dealing with people. I've only ever had one person get terse with me, and that was before Elsie had finished her shots. My boyfriend was carrying her at the store, and a woman came up to grab her face. I stepped between them, smiled and said, "Please don't touch her!" The woman told me that I shouldn't have a puppy in public if I didn't want people to touch her. I said okay and she left, so I guess I won. d:
This is one of my biggest pet peeves! Not the touching but the not listening/arguing part.

Even in PUBLIC I have EVERY RIGHT to tell you NOT TO TOUCH MY DOG.

And people often think that that means the dog isn't friendly, and thus, I shouldn't have my aggressive dog in public.

Sometimes you just have a VERY specific way you want all greetings to go. People are so annoying.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Sounds like you have it covered, but I just want to reiterate the potential for you running into complications down the road if your dog doesn't comply to standardized cues. It may present problems in daycare, with dog walkers or emergency situations. I admit I like the idea of creating a dog who will respond to a very select group of people, but there's a definite benefit to keeping the basics standardized.
Don't use dog walkers, don't use daycare (except for the one I work at, and she'll be with me and me only) and wouldn't want my dog walker or kennel using commands even if I did - but I like I said, other people simple don't handle my dog, and I prefer it that way. No need to have them weakening my cues.

I should add that I have one roommate who I allow to handle her, and she will be kept up to speed on basic commands.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Just a point.

Dogs don't recognise language, but tone and shape of the sound. Sit in German is preeeetty much the same in English - I doubt it will taint her that much.

As to the question, just tell her she's in training. And be friendly and smiley about it.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Just a point.

Dogs don't recognise language, but tone and shape of the sound. Sit in German is preeeetty much the same in English - I doubt it will taint her that much.

As to the question, just tell her she's in training. And be friendly and smiley about it.
Well, "sit" and "sitz", not so different... "out" and "aus" not so different, however:

"heel" - "fuss"
"stay" - "bleib"
"stand" - "steh"
"down" - "platz"

are quite different in sound and shape, so I do believe it would cause some issues.

lizzybeth727

Meh, I taught my dog English cues and she still only listens to me. I never really understood the importance of teaching cues so that nobody else knows what they are, but I see no problem with it either.

Anyway, if it's somebody you'll be around a lot, I'd just say that I don't want anybody else giving her cues right now, and then quickly redirect the person to something they can do (like handling the dog, that's a great idea) or just change the subject.

smeagle

I have a training harness that you can attach velcro patches too. I got one that says "In Training" to help stop people approaching us when we are out and about training. Might be something worth trying?? :)

ETA: I also don't like other people giving my dog food rewards etc, but I proof this a LOT in training by getting people to offer my dog food and closing their fist if she tries to get it (while I walk away) etc. At the end of the day, too, the reward experience she'll get from being handed a treat by another person is not ever going to be as awesome as the reward experience she will get with me so I don't sweat over it too much. If my training is good enough it will hold up to my dog getting the odd treat from other people.

Members online

No members online now.