Illinois ADBA show pics (PIC HEAVY)

K

Kela

You don't believe that you can love a dog but not the breed? My dog might be the most lovable pocket sized animal that I know, but I'm not going to pretend he doesn't have massive faults.

Toy dogs can be HA because a lot of toy owners don't socialize their dogs. They get a chi/pom/whatever because they live in an apartment or they don't want a dog that requires a lot of exercise. What happens then? The dog never leaves the house and never gets properly socialized. A bigger dog is more likely to be socialized even in the hands of a bad owner, because you have to put a big dog out on a leash and take it outside where it learns to encounter a whole lot more stuff. You've got to look at an average owner here. The average pet owner isn't a registered posting member of this board. They buy grocery store pet food or Ol Roy and might not even have a clue what a puppy mill is or that getting their dog from the mall was probably a bad idea. (Oprah may have changed the puppy mill perception a little bit but before that..)

I don't understand what that really has to do with anything. Probably half of all dog owners shouldn't own dogs of any breed. But should we change all these breeds that possess guarding, hunting, herding, fighting, chasing, nipping, etc., instincts to make them driveless slugs so that the general populace can feel better about it?

S

Squishy22

You don't believe that you can love a dog but not the breed? My dog might be the most lovable pocket sized animal that I know, but I'm not going to pretend he doesn't have massive faults.

Toy dogs can be HA because a lot of toy owners don't socialize their dogs. They get a chi/pom/whatever because they live in an apartment or they don't want a dog that requires a lot of exercise. What happens then? The dog never leaves the house and never gets properly socialized. A bigger dog is more likely to be socialized even in the hands of a bad owner, because you have to put a big dog out on a leash and take it outside where it learns to encounter a whole lot more stuff. You've got to look at an average owner here. The average pet owner isn't a registered posting member of this board. They buy grocery store pet food or Ol Roy and might not even have a clue what a puppy mill is or that getting their dog from the mall was probably a bad idea. (Oprah may have changed the puppy mill perception a little bit but before that..)
Everyone is different I guess. For me, I enjoy every breed I own. If my dog has a temperament problem, I blame the breeder or even myself, not the entire breed. Temperament problems are not normal in any breed. If I love certain aspects of my dog, then why would I not like the breed? What you said just caught my eye is all, because I've never heard that before.

I do agree a lot has to do with poor socialization, but a good portion also has to do with the breeder, and even more has to do with a mixture of both. lol. I bet most people buy from BYBs, and you can almost guarantee you will have some kind of problem with a BYB produced puppy. Getting a dog used to people and eliminating his problems can be nearly impossible in a dog that has a very unstable temperament. Professional help has to be taken.

With my moms pug, who was purchased from a pet shop at the mall, had serious aggression issues. She was taken EVERYWHERE as a young pup. Socialized with EVERYONE. As she got older... 12 months old, she started to get mean. Maturing into something that was EXTREMELY atypical of this normally loving breed. We had to stop taking her in public, because she tried biting people. And on the other hand, I know a dachshund who did not get much socialization and he is great with people. Genetics play a roll here.

Sorry, off topic. :eek:

S

Squishy22

I don't understand what that really has to do with anything. Probably half of all dog owners shouldn't own dogs of any breed. But should we change all these breeds that possess guarding, hunting, herding, fighting, chasing, nipping, etc., instincts to make them driveless slugs so that the general populace can feel better about it?
I think some people forget that dogs are animals. They have certain instincts that some people dont understand. They are not human, so dont freak out if they kill a cat who comes into your yard, or if they just develop a hatred for other dogs.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
exactly. Some people do forget that dogs ARE dogs and any animal is an animal.
For use to expect them to KNOW how to behave automatically, is ridiculous. And some things are just instinctual.

Members online

No members online now.