please help!! Dog crying and barking

My dog is about 14 years old. For the past few months he has been crying and barking when I leave him. I have had him forever, since he was born and I know that as he has gotten older, he has developed a seperation anxiety when I leave him. We live with my mom and he doesn't cry when anyone else leaves him, just when I leave him. It has gotten to the point now, the other night I proceeded to leave him, and he cried/barked for nearly an hour. I couldnt let him cry, so I went back into the house and stayed with him until somebody got home. I can leave him when my mother gets home, but I cant leave him when he will be alone.

We have been giving him rescue remedy now and also some Chinese Herbal pills that are suppose to help with the anxiety, but nothing seems to work. I love this little dog more than anything, but it seems that nothing is helping him.

Can anyone recommend anything else we can try? My mother and I talked about possibilities of putting him down...I don't know...He also may have diabeties..but I just love him soo much and I am so sad and upset. My co-worker recommened the machine that emitts that loud noise when the dog starts to bark..I guess it makes them stop when they hear it. I dont know if that will work though....Any ideas of what we can give him to stop crying and barking when I leave him?

Thanks in Advance

Oh, ilovejesse... I am so sorry! It sounds like he hasn't always done this? It might be some kind of dementia and he's confused. Poor little guy. I would NOT do that "sound machine" thing... that is to hurt their ears in response to barking... and I think it's cruel. I feel for you. Think of it like caring for a parent with Alzheimers. You need to do what's best for you... and what's best for HIM. Sounds like he's had a very loving life with you. Please keep us posted on what's happening... ((HUGS))

He has started doing this the past few months...it has gotten worse..used to just be on the weekends, but now it is during the week. I love him more than anything, but just dont know what to do anymore. I feel so bad for him. I dont want to give him away, he is so old now that he would be just as upset somewhere else as he is when I leave him. My mother and I have called the vet, and they really dont understand why he only does it with me. Its so tough..I know if we were to do this, he wouldnt be in pain, like he is now when I leave him. I dont want to give him Valium..b/c he is so small (weighs 10 pounds) that a drug like this would't make him himself and he wouldnt be happy...i just dont know what to do... :-(

someone suggested giving him to somebody that is home all the time, so he wouldnt be alone...I couldnt do that. He would be more confussed and even more sad. This kills me..He loves me so much, and I love him. I just cant do anything more..he cries and barks when I leave him and its starting to effect me. Is putting him to sleep something to consider? My mother made an appointment for it for tomorrow, but I just dont know. I hate to have him suffer and be so upset as he is now when I leave...

Fran27

As I said on the other forum, I would take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have some problem that makes him uncomfortable. And please, don't give him away, at his age it's a death sentence...

we took him to the vet, and it appeared as if everything was fine with him. They said it sounds like seperation anxiety and also he drinks alot of water and pees alot, they said that could be diabeties...he has had arthritis also for some time...doesnt seem like its getting worse

Drinking a lot and peeing a lot is a sure sign of diabetes. Your vet should have been able to tell you from checking his blood sugar, though. He's just not feeling well. And at his age, it may be "time". I'm so sorry for the decision you need to make. But this could be the most loving decision you've ever made for your baby :(

my mother and I love him so much. The vet suggested doing tests to see if they could find anything. My mom and I dont have the extra money to do these tests for him and it kills us. Then we think that if they did find something with him being that old, would we want to put him through more pain to make him better? This is the hardest thing that I have ever had to do/make....

I know what you're going through. When my 12 year old Eli was diagnosed with lymphoma, I got him into chemo to gain him only 6 months more at the most with me. The poor baby went in his sleep after only one treatment. Your baby's had a good life. It's a hard decision to make. I know. I feel for you. I'm going to PM you a story...

its just i keep thinking is this the right thing to do? If there was something else i could give him or do, I would..I just cant see anything else working. And then I feel bad doing this b/c he is just crying/barking for me. I will be getting married in August 06..but for now I am still living at home, and I cant just not come home at times b/c I know he will cry when I leave him

I know... I just wish that something could help him. Because I think about it and I think: "Is this the right thing to do..just because he is barking/crying when I leave him?"

stina3246

ilovejesse said:
I know... I just wish that something could help him. Because I think about it and I think: "Is this the right thing to do..just because he is barking/crying when I leave him?"
It is your decision and it's a tough one. Me personally....I would not put him to sleep if that is the ONLY problem. I'd exhaust every other option first. If he still has a quality of life I wouldn't do it but if there are other problems and he's suffering..... I'm so sorry you have to go through this, only you know what the right thing for him is.
Good Luck...I hope things work out.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
the best idea would to be ..find a neighbor that is willing to dog sit for you while you are gone..since your dog is older and obviously well loved..for a dog doens't love like that without being someone's special..that an elderly neighbor or someone home wouldn't mind a visit for a dollar or two an hour. a dog that age isn't going to be any troube..if that doesn't work you can try a distraction like a hamster in a tank floor level with a good spinning wheel.in fact make that a couple gerbils...other then that i don't know..you must be a wonderful person to be so loved.

Members online

No members online now.