Teaching a Tricks & Games class

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Need some trick ideas!!!!

We offer a tricks and games class at my work. No one likes to teach it because none of the trainers at my work really clicker trains sadly and they just aren't all that interest in actual tricks. So... the trainer that is teaching the class couldn't make it to the first class of the current session. I ended up filling in for her and teaching that night.

Well... somehow I ended up getting stuck with teaching the whole session. I don't mind though, but it was a bit of a surprise. I got a call on Wednesday when I was home (off work) asking me if I was coming in for class. I said, "why would I be?" and was so confused. Then I was told, "Oh btw you are teaching the rest of the session... thought you knew that." ugh...

So let's just say I'm not the least bit prepared and don't even know what to work on. The first class we worked on wave and roll over. There was only one person in the class (that saddens me that only one person had signed up this time) and he is an older gentleman. I don't want to stick him with super complicated stuff so I need fun easier to teach your dog type tricks. I think one of my coworkers is going to jump into the class with his dog so at least I'll have more than one student in the class... might as well call it a semi private lesson lol.

So... ideas?

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Targeting is a good foundation skill for other tricks (nose, paw, and other body parts)

Speaking on cue

Army crawling

Backing up

Retrieves

Maxy24

Spin and bow were both very easy to teach over here. Crawling is a good one too.

I personally love retrieves and found it extremely easy to teach Tucker but that would really depend on the dog (how willing they are to pick things up).

I agree that a hand target would probably be good to teach as a foundation.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
One of my favourites Bodhi does is "bad dog!".

She covers her nose with her paw and looks very guilty lol

Spin/twirl in a circle is an easy one.
Leg weaves? Or is the man old enough that physically that's a bad idea?
Putting stuff into a container or taking stuff out of a container.
Play dead

Staff online

Members online