Fillings for KONG toys

Barb04

Super Moderator
[font=arial, helvetica]I found these at: www.lauriebryce.com/tplo/kong_recipes.html[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica][/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Kong Filling Recipes[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica]Thanks to Lizzi K. for these fabulous ideas!

Most of these are frozen and can be made softer or harder depending on how good the dog is at "excavating" the Kong. The frozen recipes can also be put into ice cube trays or other containers (check out the adorable 'Ice Dog' bone-shaped ice trays from www.sitstay.com to make a cool treat).

When filling Kongs, you?ll need to plug up the smaller hole if the filling is liquidy, so it doesn?t fall out. You can also plug the larger hole to make it harder for the dog to get the filling out. Some things you can use to plug the holes: a grape or piece of another type of fruit, cheese, dog treats, peanut butter, veggies, or anything else that will fit. You can also add dog biscuits, fruit, or veggies (or whatever your dog likes) to the Kong along with one of the recipes below, to make layers or mix in.

Veggie Kong Omelette
  • 1 Egg
  • your choice of shredded cheese
  • any vegetables that your pet may like
Scramble egg, fold in vegetables. Put into Kong Toy. Sprinkle some cheese over the top and microwave for about 20 seconds. Cool thoroughly before giving to your dog. Makes 1 serving for Medium Kong. Double the ingredients for larger Kongs.

Peanutty Pupcicles

• 1 ripe banana
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup wheat germ
  • 1/4 cup chopped peanuts
Mash bananas and peanut butter, stir in wheat germ. Chill 1 hour. Place in Kong, store in refrigerator or freezer.

Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt Treats

• 32 ounces vanilla yogurt
  • 1 cup peanut butter
Put the peanut butter in a microwave safe dish and microwave until melted. Mix the yogurt and the melted peanut butter in a bowl. Pour mixture into Kong and freeze. Fruity Yogurt Treats

• 2 kiwi fruit -- mashed (or jar baby food fruit)
  • 8 ounces strawberry yogurt -- or other
Mix together, freeze in Kong or ice cube tray. Serve.

Yogurt Pups

• 16 ounces plain nonfat yogurt
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
Dissolve bouillon in water. Combine water and yogurt in blender and blend thoroughly. Pour into Kong or other small containers for freezing, cover and freeze.

Pup Pops

• 2 chicken or beef boullion cubes
  • 3 cups water
Dissolve boullion in water. Pour into Kong, small styrofoam cups or ice cube tray. Freeze. Serve frozen.

Frosty Paws #1

• one part instant oatmeal
  • two parts water
  • instant chicken or beef bouillon powder
  • (optional) large glob of peanut butter
Mix and let sit for a few minutes until the oatmeal absorbs most of the liquid. It isn't even necessary to heat it. Spoon into Kong and freeze. Some other suggestions to add: yogurt, pureed liver, garlic, pureed vegetables.

Frosty Paws #2

• 1 banana
  • 4 oz. plain or fruit yogurt
  • 2 oz. water
Process in blender or food processor till smooth. Pour into old frosty paws cups, Kong/s or something similar. Freeze and Serve.

Homemade Frosty Paws #3

• 1 quart vanilla yogurt
  • 1 medium banana
  • 2 T peanut butter (I use natural style)
  • 2 T honey
Puree the banana in a food processor (a blender would probably work fine). Add the peanut butter and honey and continue processing until smooth. Add yogurt and process just long enough to blend all ingredients together.

Place 18 small paper cups (bathroom size) in a baking pan (one 9x13 or two 8x8 work well). Fill paper cups to about 2/3's full. An ice cream scoop or a measuring cup makes the job easier. Or fill Kongs. Freeze until solid. Frozen Jerky Pops

• Bouillon
  • Jerky Strips
  • Water
Fill a bowl with cool water and add a pinch of bouillon. Place into muffin tins or Kong, place a Jerky Stick inside and freeze.

Bananarama

• 1 fresh banana
  • 2 tbs wheat germ
  • 1 tbs plain yogurt (can use your pet's favorite flavor as well)
In a bowl, mash up banana. Add wheat germ and yogurt. Mash all ingredients together and use spoon to add to a Kong or muffin tin or cups. Freeze for 4 hours.

Pugs Pops

• 1 Quart fruit juice
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
Mix ingredients together thoroughly, then freeze. This can be eaten by people too.

Poochie Pudding (named after my dog Pooch)

• Stoneyfield Farms whole milk yogurt, plain or vanilla
  • 1 banana
  • 1 peach or nectarine (peeled)
  • strawberries or 1 apple (whichever the dog likes)
  • 1 dog biscuit (bone-shaped)
Steps: Mash the banana and the peach/nectarine (or put in blender). Slice the apple or strawberries into smallish chunks. Push a chunk of fruit into the bottom hole of the Kong to stop leaking. Mix the banana, peach/nectarine, apple chunks or strawberries and grapes into the yogurt, then pour the mixture into the Kong. Push the biscuit into the large end of the Kong.

Freeze for about 3-4 hours or until consistency of frozen yogurt. Can also be served unfrozen, for impatient dogs (warning: it can get messy!) Bone appetit!

These last two are actually dog cupcake recipes, but they can be stuffed into a Kong while warm and soft.

Apple Crunch Pupcakes
  • 2 3/4 cups water
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 medium egg
  • 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup apple, dried
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, mix together water, applesauce, honey, egg, and vanilla. In a large bowl, combine flour, apple chips, and baking powder. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until very well blended.

Pour into greased muffin pans. Bake 1 1/4 hours, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry. Store in a sealed container. Makes 12 to 14 pupcakes.

Doggie Cheesy Carrot Muffins Mix in a large bowl:

• 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1 cup grated carrot
Mix in small bowl, then add to above:

• 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
Cook at 350 degrees, 12 minutes for mini muffins, 20-25 for large muffins.
[/font]

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are great :). I like the "Peanutty Pupcicles" especially because I'd rather do something easy and that keeps my dogs busy longer than something harder to make and doesn't take them a long time to eat.

Martine

Trained by an Airedale
Thanks, these looks great. I've just ordered our first Kong, a friend is bringing it over from the UK and I can't wait to see Misha playing with it - like BigDog says, everywhere I look people seem to recommend them. Can't wait to try out some of these :)

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
Those are good I will probley try some with my babies. Mine absolutly love their kongs I usually put bits of meat in theirs and organic peanut butter. Pakak especially loves peanut butter in his it keeps him busy for hours lol.

Members online

No members online now.