Sixty Pound Puppy Biting!

jammer

High Maintenance
We have a new dog, she's a lab mix (10 months old) and around 60 pounds. Everytime someone lays down, she'll walk on you, bite...she just won't calm down! She's a big girl and her teeth are big. We are trying to use the "ow" then no attention method, but she's really persistent. I think she just wants to play, but we want her to calm down in the house some. She got me tonight with one of her teeth. She won't leave our cat alone either. I've tried redirecting her and that works sometimes, but only for a second or two. She LOVES playing with the cat. We've only had her about two weeks and we are trying to establish dominance, but it's hard when a big dog goes barging out the door. I think we need a little help. She's very frustrating. She will sit for us if asked, but only for a few seconds. Can you tell her attention span is minimal at best?!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
First I would enroll in a basic obedeince class and make sure that you use lots of treats when first training with your new pup. Second I would put her on a NILIF(nothing in life is free) program. Make sure that she is getting plenty of good exercise a 40 min or longer walk would probably make alot of differnce in the way she is acting because it sounds like she has lots of energy right now. She is also probably testing to see what she can and cannot do because she is entering the "teens" in dog years so stick to your rules about what she can can't do and do not give in! Good Luck!!!!

elegy

overdogged
how much exercise is this girl getting? lab puppies and "teens" need a TON.

i agree that she just wants to play. can you redirect her into a more appropriate game?

Members online

No members online now.