Medical question... gray skin (stitches photo)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Josh got stitches for accidentally cutting himself with a hatchet. Here are the stitches:

One whole side of his thumb has no feeling anymore. It's starting to turn grayish and when he tried to ice it he said he couldn't feel the coldness of the ice.

Is this something that would be part of the healing process possibly or is this something he should seek medical attention for?

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Yes, if it's grey I would wager a guess that it's not getting oxygen and/or enough blood supply - definitely not good.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
Definitely call the doctor. The fact that the the whole side of the thumb is numb is a red flag to me. If the skin feels cold (when there's no ice on it) I'd even consider a trip to emergency.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Oh man. :( Poor Josh. Vibes and prayers for his thumb. Has it been numb ever since the injury or is that new? There may be nerve damage from the injury but the grey skin sounds scary.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Matt says:

A couple of possibilities come to mind. The first is possible nerve damage, but given the delayed onset, I find that one unlikely.

The second is compartment syndrome. This is caused when pressure builds up within a compartment of the body due to swelling, bleeding or other fluid shift. Since the connective tissue that surrounds our various body compartments don't stretch the pressure builds up and circulation is impaired. This leads to bad things, namely tissues starved of oxygen (ischemia), dying (infarction) and breaking down (necrosis). If you haven't seen a Doctor yet, you should.

Compartment syndrome can be recognized by the 5 P's:
- Pallor (that's the gray colour thing)
- Pulselessness (only if the artery is effected, rare sign)
- Pain (usually out of proportion to the injury)
- Paresthesia (pins and needles, impaired sensation)
- Paralysis (numb, unable to move)

Your husband has at least two of those.

Go to the hospital. It's serious.

But don't call an Ambulance. Nothing can be done to fix it in the truck. ;)

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Here's a more recent pic of his thumb. You can see where its turning gray and the gray color is a little darker than it was earlier. I'm going to call the doctor.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Yuck, that newer picture really shows the greying. Just Nilly's opinion here but I vote going to the hospital over calling the doc. It looks serious.

Keeping vibes for Josh and his thumb! Here's hoping it heals up!

Matt Says:
Actual professional opinion: Go to the hospital now. Don't risk losing the damned thumb. Depending on the amount of pressure in the compartment it may need to be cut open to relieve the pressure; this will need to be done in hospital.

Last edited:

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yikes. Go to the hospital. That does not look good at all.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
He's on the phone arguing with his step dad about it, but he told me he wants to go to the ER so I'm getting dressed to go with him. Side note: I have to open tomorrow morning at 5:30 and we have 55 dogs boarding that I need to walk... Omg I'm going to be so tired.

His thumb feels hard in the gray spot though so its better to get it checked out.

Miakoda

I had something similar after getting bitten in my index finger (several years ago). I waited. Stupid stupid stupid. I ended up going back to the same urgent care pretty much crawling in pain and having the weirdest most painful pins and needles feeling alternating with numbness.

My finger was saved (after being sliced open), but I have absolutely zero feeling from tip to knuckle. I have to be super careful as I've burned my self and done other stupid things to it since I don't feel it. And that sucks.

I rarely go the doctor for anything.

I would go for that though! It just doesn't look right, glad he's going.

Members online