Second guessing rescue. Vent.

BostonBanker

That is such a lovable face :)

Absolutely, everyone needs to vent and get out the thoughts that tumble around inside your head. I have no doubt he will get the socialization he needs with you, and I suspect he'll find his way to being one of those dogs you can't imagine being without.

Paige

Let it be
If it makes you feel better Bandit was a real struggle. He was a nasty piece of work back in the day. I've had him since he was 5 months. He's 7 now and he turned out to be the perfect dog. It took a little longer but the journey was well worth it.

BlackPuppy

Owned by Belgians
I only had one adult dog come into my home and he was my first. He was already obedience trained, however, he had no respect for me and wouldn't do what I said.

I tried to enroll in a class with him, and the only thing open at the time was Agility. We totally bonded through that class and I didn't even need to use a prong with him anymore.

I don't know anything about your situation with Ryder, but sometimes puppies don't live up to our expectations either. :( My Malinois was supposed to be my agility dog, but at 6 months old she broke her elbow. Enter my Laekenois, who doesn't like to jump. Doh! Oh well, he likes obedience. Now I have an agility dog, but I'm too fat to run him properly. Time for a diet!

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I only had one adult dog come into my home and he was my first. He was already obedience trained, however, he had no respect for me and wouldn't do what I said.

I tried to enroll in a class with him, and the only thing open at the time was Agility. We totally bonded through that class and I didn't even need to use a prong with him anymore.

I don't know anything about your situation with Ryder, but sometimes puppies don't live up to our expectations either. :( My Malinois was supposed to be my agility dog, but at 6 months old she broke her elbow. Enter my Laekenois, who doesn't like to jump. Doh! Oh well, he likes obedience. Now I have an agility dog, but I'm too fat to run him properly. Time for a diet!
Thanks for the suggestion. I think that would be really good for us.

When we get back to Michigan and get settled in back there, I'm going to join a general starter obedience class. Mainly for socialization. After we get his drive zoned into working with me, I will then get him into herding lessons and I hope to do Nosework as well, as he has really enjoyed just the playing around "finds".

Yeah, puppies can be a crapshoot. However, the lines that my ACD come from are proven working, so, chances are he will be a decent cow pusher. :) That is, when I get him in probably 5 years or so.

meepitsmeagan

StillandSilent's thread made me revisit this thread. I know this probably seems silly, but I just wanted to update it (and thank everyone who responded over a year ago for all of your support and help).

Rider is still not a saint, however he's turned into such an awesome little guy. The past 6 months he has really blossomed into a mature adult. Impulse control is coming along, he's a blast to train, he's GREAT with other dogs, he's got awesome focus in new places, loves to work, super cuddly, loves to be around myself and my husband, and is just an all around great guy. He's my go to for introducing new dogs into the household. He's getting much better with relaxation protocols and people coming into our house. His barking is coming along as well when people pull in.

He is still pretty fearful of men, still has a noise phobia, has mild SA, and has a lot of anxiety. On an everyday basis, though, these are not big at all.

Today I really realized how far he's come. I was getting ready to leave for work and had him outside off leash. The mail lady drove by our house, talked to me a minute, dropped off our mail, drove on. Meanwhile, he held a sit-stay and did several touches throughout the conversation. He doesn't scream relentlessly or body slam the car window anymore when we see wildlife or semi's. Leash manners are much better. We continued learning jumping into my arms at work today. Recall is fantastic. Flipped upside down on the grooming table doing his nails without a flinch (dremel included). He's just so great.

Okay, I'll be done. I'm just really grateful I stuck it out with him. <3 this boy.

DSC_1044 by sinnerinspurs, on Flickr

DSC_0304 by sinnerinspurs, on Flickr

DSC_0291 by sinnerinspurs, on Flickr

DSC_0067 by sinnerinspurs, on Flickr

Alright, sorry, I'll be done. :D

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Reading through this thread, it sounds like everything I went through with Rigby. Not the same issues exactly when it comes to behaviour, but the feelings were there.

I wanted a Border Collie puppy. I wanted the pup from "X" breeder, and I was going to do everything with him.
Then I got Rigby. Those funny ears in her shelter shot stole me.
She was far from perfect, and still has a lot of "damage" that we're working on just over 2 years later.

There were times I wanted to give up, she made me frustrated, angry, and sad. And I definitely had a ton of venting to do like this. But...after all that, I knew she was mine.

I'm very relieved to see this update (being new here I didn't realize it was initially a thread from 2012! lol), you've done such a great job with Rider!

Snark

Mutts to you
Happy to read the update and I just gotta say, that second pic is a pretty darned good optical illusion. Looks like Rider and one VERY strange dog... a designer breed perhaps? :D

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Happy to read the update and I just gotta say, that second pic is a pretty darned good optical illusion. Looks like Rider and one VERY strange dog... a designer breed perhaps? :D
Haha I thought the same thing! I had to stare at it a bit because I thought the "second dog" was just Harlow, but then I'm like, the face is wrong! MY HEAD.

Anyway.

I'm very glad your story is on the up and up. :) I'm currently facing a few heavy struggles with Finn, but reading stuff like this reminds me that with perseverance and consistency, he'll get there.

meepitsmeagan

I never even noticed! They should really watch for those shoulders. That dog looks very top heavy. :lol-sign:

Reading through this thread, it sounds like everything I went through with Rigby. Not the same issues exactly when it comes to behaviour, but the feelings were there.

I wanted a Border Collie puppy. I wanted the pup from "X" breeder, and I was going to do everything with him.
Then I got Rigby. Those funny ears in her shelter shot stole me.
She was far from perfect, and still has a lot of "damage" that we're working on just over 2 years later.

There were times I wanted to give up, she made me frustrated, angry, and sad. And I definitely had a ton of venting to do like this. But...after all that, I knew she was mine.

I'm very relieved to see this update (being new here I didn't realize it was initially a thread from 2012! lol), you've done such a great job with Rider!
Thanks.. <3 It can be really hard to set aside those breeder expectations I think. There have been many rescues I've been interested in since Rider, including one of my fosters, who I seriously considered adopting. I didn't for fear I would really not be able to move past what they would take away.

Haha I thought the same thing! I had to stare at it a bit because I thought the "second dog" was just Harlow, but then I'm like, the face is wrong! MY HEAD.

Anyway.

I'm very glad your story is on the up and up. :) I'm currently facing a few heavy struggles with Finn, but reading stuff like this reminds me that with perseverance and consistency, he'll get there.
He will. I had to stop focusing on everything he did wrong and start finding positives and just accepting him for who he is, little weird one. I hope you are able to find that with Finn. Obviously we don't talk very often, but if you ever just need to vent, feel free to pm me. I know what it is like to feel exhausted.

Shakou

Real happy to read this. I think it's something a lot of people face at some point in dog ownership.

Members online

No members online now.