Ryder (Gunner) gets excited over... nothing but rabbits. Rant.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
So, I was trying to do the two week shutdown, but it doesn't work very well where we are living... So unfortunately, Ryder has had to pretty much be thrown into the routine.

He likes absolutely nothing at all. He doesn't like hotdogs. He likes his kibble, but not enough to train with. He doesn't like toys. He doesn't like just praise as a reward. He doesn't like Kongs or peanut butter. He doesn't like bones. He likes rabbits, though. And we have lots of them. I'm trying really hard to wait to get involved in any dog sports or herding until we move back to MI in a month.

I realize that he is probably still settling in, but he is also feeling pretty good about where he is living. He is pulling on the leash very well, refusing to listen very well, and also fixating very well.

I've done research up the wazzoo on ways to help this, but nothing is really working at all.

Sigh, this is just ranting. I'm just frustrated because I was excited to have a dog that enjoyed working and learning new things and I'm just trying to move to fast.

Tazwell

Zukes makes treats made from rabbit, LOL! Somebody once told me that grilled chicken is the tastiest and smelliest treat for dogs. I use a lot of dehydrated meat for my dogs. Ian Dunbar uses a method to teach dogs to enjoy their treats, by essentially rewarding them for taking a treat-- essentially, right after the treat comes praise, a toy, access to outside, or something the dog likes.... or I think that's how he did it!

Since he likes rabbits (and I assume you mean he likes to chase them), maybe try a flirt pole with him? That can be some major motivation and drive, if he gets into it.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, whereabouts in MI are you going to?

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Check out Ruff Love, it's similar to the two week shutdown but more complete and could help you a lot. http://www.amazon.com/Ruff-Love-Rel...UTF8&qid=1345465823&sr=8-1&keywords=ruff+love No matter what anybody says, Ruff Love does not involve crating your dog 24 hrs a day (you will hear some crazy things about it), but it is a relationship building program based on preventing the dog from self-reinforcing. It's perfect for a dog like you're describing.

But if you couldn't follow through with the two week shutdown, I don't that you'll be able to do Ruff Love, tbh. Dogs like the one you're describing desperately structure and relationship building, so if you're serious you'll just have to find a way to make a structured lifestyle work for a while.

Last edited:

FG167

Check out Ruff Love, it's similar to the two week shutdown but more complete and could help you a lot. http://www.amazon.com/Ruff-Love-Rel...UTF8&qid=1345465823&sr=8-1&keywords=ruff+love No matter what anybody says, Ruff Love does not involve crating your dog 24 hrs a day (you will hear some crazy things about it), but it is a relationship building program based on preventing the dog from self-reinforcing. It's perfect for a dog like your describing.

But if you couldn't follow through with the two week shutdown, I don't that you'll be able to do Ruff Love, tbh. Dogs like the one you're describing desperately structure and relationship building, so if you're serious you'll just have to find a way to make a structured lifestyle work for a while.
I would try this.

Also, give it time, patience.

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
I didn't even think of a flirt pole, that is genius. I plan on getting some different, tastier treats or getting some chicken cooked up.

I will look into the ruff love. I know that I need to do a structured lifestyle for him, it just won't be easy. But, I also know that if you start right, it will be a lot better for both parties in the end. We move back to MI in a little over a month. I think once we get there, and are settled in that house, that is when I will really focus on working with him.

Right now, we live in a campground, so there are always new people, new dogs, new everything. It is so much stimulation all the time. Plus, it is getting a lot colder at night now, and our crates are outside, which causes a lot of the problems with a structured lifestyle here.

Members online

No members online now.