For the show people once again . . .

youhavenoidea

I love my Weimaheiny!
You are gonna have a ton of fun with that boy, kiddo.

Just beautiful.

:D
Thanks! His breeder figures he'll finish really quickly.

I unfortunately (bad me!) haven't quite found the time for gait training yet, and he's supposed to start in the ring in about a month and a half. Eep. Advice?

Also, we have ZERO free-stack on command, and I haven't even attempted. I just don't feel it is a huge priority his first couple times out in the 6-8 month class, and I'm more concerned with his enjoying himself than overloading the show training. Do you think I'm way off base for this decision? How important is an unassisted stack in a puppy class?

R

RedyreRottweilers

I could teach your pup to free stack in about 2 days. :D

They love to learn this!

You know how to bait a dog, so get your bait and stand in front of him and walk into him to back him up a couple of steps. Do this slowly. The moment his rear feet come close to being where you might want them, not perfect, but close, mark and treat. You can make with YES, or THERE, or a clicker, or anything you like.

Once you get his rear feet there, and you have marked and treated, work toward him standing there and not moving rear feet. Use the bait gradually to work his head where you want it, at the same time moving his front feet a little.

You work this is small bits, a little at a time. The first step to set is him backing his hind feet into where you want them, and the not moving them when you step out away from him.

Once you get that, then using bait to turn and move his head, you can teach him to stack the front.

This is easily faded to small signals, such as I toe touch in front of me to get a dog to stand. Rocking a hip towards him gets him to step back and position his back feet, and the small hand motions with the bait or my body gets him to fix the front feet for the rest of the stack.

The one really important thing to remember is this is taught in 2 sections. First you teach him to position and set the rear feet, and not to move them, and then you teach him about the front feet.

If your pup is as smart as I figure he is, he should have this down PAT in a week or so. :D

youhavenoidea

I love my Weimaheiny!

They love to learn this!

You know how to bait a dog, so get your bait and stand in front of him and walk into him to back him up a couple of steps. Do this slowly. The moment his rear feet come close to being where you might want them, not perfect, but close, mark and treat. You can make with YES, or THERE, or a clicker, or anything you like.

Once you get his rear feet there, and you have marked and treated, work toward him standing there and not moving rear feet. Use the bait gradually to work his head where you want it, at the same time moving his front feet a little.

You work this is small bits, a little at a time. The first step to set is him backing his hind feet into where you want them, and the not moving them when you step out away from him.

Once you get that, then using bait to turn and move his head, you can teach him to stack the front.

This is easily faded to small signals, such as I toe touch in front of me to get a dog to stand. Rocking a hip towards him gets him to step back and position his back feet, and the small hand motions with the bait or my body gets him to fix the front feet for the rest of the stack.

The one really important thing to remember is this is taught in 2 sections. First you teach him to position and set the rear feet, and not to move them, and then you teach him about the front feet.

If your pup is as smart as I figure he is, he should have this down PAT in a week or so. :D
I'll give it a shot, and see how we make out. I'll keep you posted. LOL

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
You'd be surprised...some do it on their own...many a well built dog will stop perfectly stacked on their own..you only have to get their attention and attach a word to it. Most of mine free stack in the ring in Puppy classes because expression is such a huge part of their overall standard and nothing shows expression like a free stack!

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
He's so handsome! I had no clue Weims were so angulated.

I'm digging the second pic. It has his front legs at the closest to a 90* angle to the ground, and his back legs don't look stretched. It looks like toward the end that his back feet started to slide out, and because of that his front legs leaned slightly off perpendicular to his rear.

My dogs have a good stack on command, but if I leave them there for awhile (taking pics for example lol) their feet tend to slide out.

youhavenoidea

I love my Weimaheiny!
It looks like toward the end that his back feet started to slide out, and because of that his front legs leaned slightly off perpendicular to his rear.
I've been testing stacking him a hair farther back in the rear to extend is topline. Although not incorrect in any way, he has a bit of a more compact build, and a slightly shorter back than what is in the ring right now. I'm tricking the eye a slight bit to elongate him.

But *ssshhhhh* don't tell my secret. LOL ;)

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
your standard indicates straight hocks...and they tend to look bowed a bit when you overstretch him so that's somewhat of a trade off... you might just be better off training him to lean over his front a bit on his own instead?

Gypsydals

They love to learn this!

Sends Red Ivan.

youhavenoidea

I love my Weimaheiny!
your standard indicates straight hocks...and they tend to look bowed a bit when you overstretch him so that's somewhat of a trade off... you might just be better off training him to lean over his front a bit on his own instead?

That's in fact what the goal is. Right now I'm having to overextend him a bit, to get him to "rock and lock" the way I want him to through the chest, but he's catching on, so I think he'll soon be able to do it minus the overcompensation.

He'll likely still be stacked a little behind the vertical though, as that's just the way the Weims are handled. And I must admit, I do find it more flattering / less "boxifying" than being right on the 90. They have a silhouette that better illustrates their leanness when they're a bit stretched, IMO.

Like this:

vs. this (granted, he's even a little in front of the vertical, but nonetheless):

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
Gahh! My Sladie-boy. :D He is getting sooo big! I remember when he was a tiny little guy. Gotta update that signature soon! How's it going as far as the height? I know you were hoping he wouldn't be too tall. Anyway, he is just gorgeous.
I like the look of the Weim in the first picture better than the second as well. The second dog is a bit too square for a Weim, in my opinion.

Thanks for PMing the link!

youhavenoidea

I love my Weimaheiny!
Gahh! My Sladie-boy. :D He is getting sooo big! I remember when he was a tiny little guy. Gotta update that signature soon! How's it going as far as the height? I know you were hoping he wouldn't be too tall. Anyway, he is just gorgeous.
I like the look of the Weim in the first picture better than the second as well. The second dog is a bit too square for a Weim, in my opinion.

Thanks for PMing the link!

He is 21" tall and 40 lbs at 5 months (he turns 5 months tomorrow!) and he shouldn't be having growth spurts as crazy as when he was really young, so he should be OK. He should end up about 28" and 70 lbs, which is exactly where I want him.

And yes, I do prefer the first stack over the second. It just tends to be more flattering for the dog.

Members online

No members online now.