Preparing for my CPDT exam

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I've wanted to ask some advice from other trainers here who have already tested for their CPDT.

I've been trying to get some of my hours in that I need to have before I submit my application for the exam. They say approx 225 of those hours have to be as a head trainer. What's the easiest way to get involved in a training program to earn those hours? How do most trainers start you off in teaching lessons? Did you work under a trainer in an apprentice type setting or what?

Also... aside from the recommended reading list in the handbook are there any other materials you think are worth looking into to gain some more understanding? I really want to focus more with dogs that have behavior problems eventually.

Basically... any advice you can give me as far as learning and gaining experience with training dogs and preparing for this exam would be great. I'm really trying to step it up and get moving with all of this since this is something I want as a career.

lizzybeth727

You could apprentice with a trainer, but I think you'd probably have to apprentice for several months before the head trainer would let you handle lessons as a head trainer yourself.... partly because it takes that much training on your part, and partly because
if you're the head trainer, they pretty much have to pay you.

I have a friend who worked as a Petsmart trainer, I think that's a good way to get a lot of experience and hours in a relatively short time. Whereas a private trainer might only teach a few hours a night, she taught all day on the weekends as well as several hours on weeknights. Of course you could teach less if you want to, but you can see that the hours would add up very quickly.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Yup. Like Lizzy said... honor system. However... they CAN have you verify your hours if they feel the need to do so. Just in case though, I do log all my hours spent doing anything that would count towards earning the hours I need.

Kayla

I would say apprenticeship is the best way as well. I am also working towards racking up my hours to go for my CPDT. If you let your teacher know why you want to apprentice I.e to gain your CPDT and the required hours they will be much more willing to help accomidate you. I'm just a teaching aid right now, but my teacher is going away on vacation in the coming months and is considering allowing me to take over some classes on my own, if not however, gain up your experince and you can always go to a pet store chain with your releveant experince.

Kayla

Members online

No members online now.