Bad Results From Wet Canidae Dog Food

Juicy

I'm experiencing problems with Candiae as well. They were doing fine with it, until 3 days ago when I fed some new cans of the wet. I've fed them some of the wet before, and had no problems. Now the have loose stools and some vomitting. I'm not going to feed the wet anymore and see if the do ok with the dry.

My sister's dog Lucky got ill first. Went to the vets found out it was a bacteria from water. I'm thinking its the water in the wet food. None of the dogs drank from an other water source then what the usuall dog and the never contracted anything from it.

If the loose stools and vomitting continue even still with the dry, I'm going back to feeding Nutro. The did fine on it, I would try Evo, but with these results from switching dog foods not sure if my mom will be too fond of the idea. But I hear Nutro is having some problems too, sigh. Please hope that it was only this batch of canned food that's making them ill and I can continue to use this brand of dog food, they're doing real good on it until now.

I've also from an old batch of canned food of Canidae found some bone fragments in it, I should of stopped using the canned food once I saw that.

Looks like I'm not the only one either. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/canidae.html

B

Backward_Cinderella

Put some gravy in it, and slowly decrease the amount of gravy you put in. That's how I start mine on a new dry food if they don't want it. I don't feed wet at all.

KatzNK9

Ozzy & Jagger Rock!
I just switched from Canidae ALS to Innova EVO for Ozzy & Innova Puppy for Jagger. After reading this: http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/canidae.html, I traded out my bag of Canidae for new food. I was very disappointed that I emailed Canidae & they took 3 weeks to return what I considered to be an inappropriate response to my concerns.:mad:

Both of my dogs did very well on the Canidae ALS kibble but I have problems supporting a company that can take 3 weeks to address my concerns. I'm so disappointed.

angie8023

I love my Sancho
Mine has been on Canidae ALS kibble for almost a year now and if anything I have seen nothing but positive results. I'm so sorry your pups got sick:( Those stories on that website were quite frightening.

Juicy

I'm getting better stiffer stools now with only feeding dry, still get some runny though. Hopefully its the wet that was the problem.

KatzNK9

Ozzy & Jagger Rock!
I was also very disappointed reading that site. You never know how much credence to put into things you find on the web though & I'm thinking I might have overreacted by taking my boys, who were doing well, off the Canidae ALS. However, having said that, I did contact Canidae the minute I saw that website & bought a different brand of food the next day to await their response.

It took them 3 weeks to get back to me with a response I considered to be unacceptable. With that in mind, I have no intentions of going back to Canidae (at least not yet).

I linked them to the website above & this response came to me 3 weeks later:

Always, if our customers contact us with a concern about one of our products
we do everything possible to investigate and resolve the matter. Just so you
are aware we currently do not have, nor have we had any problems with our
products that would cause illness.

Sincerely,
Team Canidae
Their reply very well may be true; however, I didn't appreciate the canned answer that came so late.

shazbot

not so newby
I to was feeding Canidae until recently. My dogs were doing great on it, then all of the sudden all of them had loose stools and were sick all the time. I'm starting to wonder what's going on with Canidae, I'm hearing about all sorts of problems that people are having. I'm wondering if maybe they didn't switch their formula?

I have since switched to Eagle Pack and haven't had any problems.

corgi_love

I'd be careful, there something going wrong with Nutro food now as well!

Innova guys, Innova. :D

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I switched after I got a bag that smelled horrible, like cow poop.

Innova always smells nice... and TOTW Pacific Stream smells good too!

KatzNK9

Ozzy & Jagger Rock!
I have since switched to Eagle Pack and haven't had any problems.
I bought a 6# bag of Eagle Pack & then a large bag (33#? 35#?) & Ozzy lost 4 pounds in however long it took to finish off those bags with 2 dogs so I switched. I tried Wellness Super5 Mix (Fish) & Ozzy didn't like it (he's really finicky).

Innova guys, Innova. :D
Ozzy's on EVO chicken small bites (so far, no meal refusals) & Jagger's on Innova Puppy.:) Glad you agree that was the logical choice for me too.

roccodily

canned canidae

Juicy,
I'm experiencing the same - did you by any chance scoop some out of the can and mash/cut it up, or just spoon some into the dry food?
The reason I ask, is because at first i just plopped some into the dry
and didn't think anything about it..
The next time i scooped some out onto a paper plate to mash it up,
and thats when i found something very unusual in the can of food.
I don't know what it is? It is in more than one can.
can someone please e mail me privately. Thanks

sisco16

koda bear
so whats going on is it the dry or the wet I thought canidae was supposed to be such a good food im very confused right now you guys have me worried that your dogs are getting sick off off something thats is supposed to to be a better food. I just recently switched koda to this and she loves it so please tell me its fine :confused:

roccodily

Sisco,
canidae is a great food and i'm sure it is fine. my dogs like it too.
It's just that i bought ten cans thursday, when i put it on a paper plate to mush it up i find pieces of something? i don't know what it is?
it looks yellowish, and has a rubbery feel? it was in more than one of my cans. one of the pieces was quite big, and it scared me . I opened a can this morning and there was just a small piece of it in this one, but this one i was able to squish. (for some reason that made me feel better) only thing is there was like a hard little pea like bean and some kind of white bean in this can,(this is the first time i saw a bean like thing) I never had a problem with it before. ??? it's just puzzling to me. (The dogs are actualy begging for the can, they won't eat the dry now, because they want it mixed w/the wet). It's just me that is scared to give it to them, because i don't know what that stuff was. Just check the can first and it should be fine.
I just wanted to know if anybody else found anything in the canned.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I had Auggie on Canidae for over a year and never had any problems. He ate Canidae wet for a while, then I switched over to Eagle Pack wet because it stayed moist longer after we put one of those can lids back on and stuck it in the fridge... then we just axed wet food altogether.

But Auggie is on a Natura food now (Cali Natural) because, honestly, I've not been impressed with Canidae's customer service and responses to things. Again, I personally never had a problem, but seeing somewhat rude responses from them to other customers, or just the lack of a response for weeks... it was enough to make me switch.

roccodily

Beanie.
Thank - you so much!
I feel better already. I was just scared.
I was going to call canidae today, but i'm just going to axe all wet food also.
I use to feed just dry, mainly for convinience, and it worked fine.
(did it take Auggie long to go back to just dry?)

Auggie's cute : )

roccodily

Thanks everyone. : )
An update on my part.
I feel much better.
I found out what i was finding, were just pieces of fish!
I must have used the chicken and rice kind before, and this time
picked up the lamb and FISH kind.

youhavenoidea

I love my Weimaheiny!
No comment on brand, RE: this thread (as I've never fed any of these), but just wanted to mention, if any of you want to go from wet back to dry, and your dog turns up their nose at it, just soak the kibble.

I find it best to put steaming tap water into the bowl (just enough to barely submerge the kibble), then let it stand for about 10-20 minutes. The kibble expands, and turns to soft mush (much the same as the consistency of wet food) and given that it's still warm when he eats it, my guy seems to think he's getting something special.

I went from an extremely picky eater who would never DREAM of touching plain kibble, to not having to "lace" his dinner with anything.

Just make sure that it has cooled down enough (feel the bottom of the bowl) before offering the meal.

Staff online

Members online