New puppy only wants to poop on cement?

CrazyDiego

I just adopted a puppy from our local animal shelter. He is doing great! One thing I have noticed is he only wants to poop in the road or on my front porch! (they are cement) I have a 20 Ft. tie out that I put him on to go potty. I can’t take walks around because its 20 degrees here and I have a 2-year-old daughter. Don’t want to be hauling my daughter out into the cold every hour just to train Diego to pee and poop in the yard. We are doing crate training at night only and he is doing great with that. He is 12 weeks old. I know the shelter had him for 4 weeks so he slept on cement floors and probably pooped on cement too. Even the outdoor runs at the shelter are cement too, I guess for easy clean ups. I guess I don’t mind that he goes on the porch ... (it is outdoors) I just hope he will start going in the yard soon...LOL
Anyone else heard of a dog doing this before?

caseyolee

Border Collies R' Us
Yes, I've had rescue Border Collies that have done that. All because they were used to going on cement, so it was kind of like a comfort thing. I suggest tying him away from the porch, out in the yard so he has to go in the yard. He will get the hang of it. He's young yet.

Not quite the same, but similar is Jake's trained to go outside - in the snow. So if there's snow on the deck....well, you get the idea :) . I figure a good thaw will sort things out quick enough, but in the mean-time, we're working on it.

CrazyDiego

Ya I am with you "AndrewF" not quite worried about it.... I am just so glad that he is going potty outside in the first place..LOL :p I am sure with time he will get it all figured out...

Sakasha

Sheltered
We have 2 dogs at the shelter who will only poop on cement.

Sophia spent a long time in a shelter where she was never walked - and I'm assuming she picked up the habit by going on the cement floor of her run. She is now kennel-clean, but will only go to the bathroom in the parking lot.

Ruthie on the other hand spent most of her life living in Manhattan, so I guess she picked it up simply because of the lack of grass and trees. She wouldn't have had many other options besides the sidewalk and the street.

poodlesmom

When I got Chloe she was 12 wks old and well on her way to being housebroken by her breeder. Well, it was wintertime so she was used to going on snow. We had alot of laughs as springtime drew nearer & the areas that were snow covered got fewer & fewer. She would consistently go looking for snow to do her business on. Eventually it was all gone and for a couple of weeks it took her forever to go because she would go completely around the yard looking for snow until she couldn't hold it any longer. :)

My foster would definetely prefer to poop on the cement, but he knows better now. He doesn't like to get his feet dirty. He won't even play ball outside, because the ball inevitably rolls in the dirt and then he won't touch it again.

candy722

TOki prefers pooping on the cement instead of lifting his legs at the garden. He makes more cleaning for me.

Members online

No members online now.