Trucker finds Hog-tied puppy left to die on out-of-the way road

I posted this here because this truly was a rescue!!! Read on...

I think this is in Kentucky

Henderson County resident John Long was more than surprised early on Tuesday morning when he came upon a puppy that was hog-tied and left in the middle of a road.

"My headlights shone on this dog. I thought it had been hit and then crawled up there to die," he said.

Long -- who drives a semi -- was on Rock Road, which dead-ends at his family's farm, at around 4:30 a.m.

He parks the semi at his cousin's property located at the end of Rock Road, who connects with U.S. 60 between Sand Lane and the South Y, and was headed there to pick up the semi to begin his work day.

"I flipped my brights on because I wanted to make sure it was dead. And I saw him move."

Long said he got out of his vehicle, grabbed a flashlight and headed for the bundle that lay in the middle of the road.

"I saw he was tied up," he said.

Long said someone had taken "several pairs of boot laces" and "hog-tied" the puppy before depositing him in the middle of the road.

"The way they had him tied, I don't see how he could move, or breathe."

Long said the puppy, which is approximately 3-months-old, was bound so tightly that he could barely get his fingers underneath the laces.

Long said he used a pocket knife and managed to slide the knife under the laces, using his own fingers as a guide to keep from cutting the dog.

"I just kept working until I got him free," he said. "It took about 10 or 15 minutes. They had him doubled up in a knot."

Long said once he got the puppy's mouth free, he started working on its paws.

"He never once offered to bite me," he said. "His circulation was cut off to his feet -- the pads had changed colors."

Long said he massaged the puppy's legs and paws until the blood began circulating again. His cousin looked after the puppy while Long went to work and then later that night, Long and his wife Amy, called the Henderson County Humane Society.

Animal Control Officer Mark Oakley said the dog, which is believed to be part Boxer, is being housed at the shelter and is doing very well.

And with the dog's health improving, Oakley said his thoughts have turned toward who may have committed this crime.

"Whoever did this, took him out on a pitch-black road and left him for dead," Oakley said, adding that Henderson County Attorney Charlie McCollom is ready and more than willing to press charges.

Oakley and Long both believe the puppy may have been taken from his owner.

"The dog was too well maintained for it not to belong to someone," Oakley said.

"He's a good-natured dog," Long said. "He sits and stays. Someone has really worked with this dog."

"I think someone is pretty low to do something like that to an animal," Long said. "It took a lot longer to tie him up than it would have to drop him off at the animal shelter."

If the owner isn't located, Long said he and his wife are going to adopt the dog.

Meanwhile, Oakley said anyone with information about this case should contact the shelter at 270-826-8966.

By BETH SMITH
, Gleaner staff
831-8334 * [email protected]
Originally published 12:00 a.m., December 14, 2006
http://www.courierpress.com/news/20...-hog-tied-puppy-left-to-die-on-of/?gleaner=1/

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Oh my goodness...

If it does belong to someone, I hope they claim him and if the owners did that to their dog.. well... I can't post my thoughts because I'd get a time out...God help that poor pup.

Gig 'Em Ags

JP Cattle Co.
Bravo for that trucker for rescuing the pup!!!! It never ceases to amaze me how cruel one can be with an animal!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

A

Alexa's~Mom

If he was that well cared for, I wonder if it wasn't someone other than the owners who took the dog and did that.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Poor sweet baby - who could do such a thing, something that would intentionally take a lot of time and would involve a lot of obvious suffering? Oh what dreadful people there are in the world.

However, this story brought to light for me the truly beautiful people in the world, too - all the things that man did to help that baby, cutting those bonds, massaging him, loving him, being kind to him.

Someone up there loves that little dog, because a very, very bad thing turned into something beautiful for him. I think he'll be very loved by the Longs, and I hope they get to keep him.

Doberluv

How horrible, but like Ruby said, a happy ending. I bet some angry neighbor took it....maybe the pup barked a lot or something...who knows? I hope they catch whoever did it, but they probably won't. I'm just so glad that trucker stopped and saved him. Poor little thing.

Members online

No members online now.