Random Question about Grass

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yes.... you heard right. Grass.

This is something I've been wondering but a couple times I've posted pictures and had people ask me why the grass in my photos is yellow/brown. Recently was asked about the christmas photos and if they were taken earlier in the year bc the grass was brown. Ex:

IMG_2669 by Summer_Papillon, on Flickr

Is this like a regional thing? Does the grass not go dormant in all areas of the US and world?

It's just funny I've been asked a few times and it's something that I've never given second thought to.

RBark

Got Floof?
In most of california, the grass looks like that for 11 months of the year unless it's watered year-round.

You can have cold season and warm season grass. Each has a dormant season.

We have cool season here, so it browns out during the summer drought.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Here in Southern Ontario, on our property at least, the grass stays pretty green until it gets covered in snow. It's all dead in the spring though, before it grows nicely again :)

December 31 on the lawn

DSC_1064 by Charlotte_L, on Flickr
Not 100% nice green grass like it is all year, but still pretty decent looking! The really brown stuff is dropped hay from the loft behind her.

March 17 of the following year, in the hayfield

DSC_0041 by Charlotte_L, on Flickr
March 29. On the same hill as the first picture - you can see the new stuff coming in. It comes in quick, and usually quicker than the hayfield.

DSC_0126 by Charlotte_L, on Flickr[/img]

Regional and type of grass matter.

Zoysia for example is super tough and great for hard use, but yes, its brown a lot more than others.

Drought/rain etc also of course have a huge impact.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Ours is brown more than green. I guess I just never really thought about it but have had so many questions about if it was a drought or something.

I do miss the fact that houston stayed green all the time, but that's about the only thing I miss from houston.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Ours definitely goes brown like that. Looks dead. Then in the spring it perks up again (usually!) Also it can turn all brown like that in a drought if it gets burned but can come back from that too (usually.)

I have some tall ornamental grasses in the garden that do brown out in the winter. Otherwise there's too much snow to see what's going on under there. It always seems green in the spring when the snow melts, though.

GoingNowhere

Around here, I think many lawns are fescue grass. Mine at home is at least. You can keep it greesh(ish) year round if you try hard enough, but it always seems to look better in the warmer months.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Erm.... Our grass NEVER goes brown. It's green all year round :D

Green green.

This was august.

Gypsydals

Not sure if it goes brown during the winter or not. It usually goes green, then crunchy/dead brown during the hottest part of the summer (usually a drought is involved), back to to pretty green and then white. Repeat every year. So during the winter I have no idea really what color the grass itself is. I'd be happy with brown grass like in your picture right now though.

Members online

No members online now.