How to fit a moose in a tub?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
All right, so Zeus is a very small moose. ;) But I was wondering, how do you bathe a large dog in the bathtub? I've always bathed Zeus in the yard with the hose, but it's been getting way too cold lately. My bathtub does not have a detatchable shower head, which makes it even harder. Are there a few tricks out there to make it easier?

A scoop. Fill the bathtub with warm water, fill it with water, and pour it on top of the dog. The water at the bottom of the tub will get his paws wet. Then drain the water, and get the dog all soapy. Repeat the scoop thing about twice.

Athebeau

I would not feel comfortable with just pouring water over to rinse. It's hard enough to get the arm pits etc. Residue left in the coat from shampoo can cause more skin problems than it's worth. I would invest in a hand held shower head.

If your desperate, why not see if you have any local do it yourself grooming shops....or call a local groomer and get a price on a bath...or, ask a groomer if you can bath your own dog and pay for the use of the tub. My Sister does this often at her shop. On Saturdays she has a few people who come in and use her facilities.

Is there a reason you have to bath your dog so often? When cold weather comes I try to bath my Newf's less often...I usually try to make the whole winter without bathing. I just do really good brushouts. The dry air does enough to zap the moisture and natural oils out of your dogs coat. I even use the best shampoos (organic that claim not to strip natural oils). My Rottweiler and my Dobe never get bathed and they have lovely coats and healthy skin. With my Rottie I take a slicker and go all over her, then I take a shedding blade to her...sometimes a pumice stone. My Dobe, I just take a hounds glove over him.

Improve your dogs diet, and add omega 3 fatty acids to improve skin and coat condition. A healthy dog does not stink.:) unless of course it rolled in something foul...:D

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I bathe Zeus about once every 2-3 weeks. He has a gorgeous skin and coat, so I don't think it's hurting him. Mainly, it's just because I like to have a clean dog. I'd wait until spring before bathing him again, but I think he's picked up a few late-fall fleas. For some reason, topicals like Frontline and Advantage do not seem to work well on Zeus. Flea shampoo is the most effective thing for him.

showpug

If I fit my 170 lbs great dane in the tub than you can fit your dog ! LOL!! Just buy a hose shower head. They are very cheap and you can find them almost anywhere. Just put it on when you bathe him and take it off when you are done.

Athebeau

but I think he's picked up a few late-fall fleas. For some reason, topicals like Frontline and Advantage do not seem to work well on Zeus. Flea shampoo is the most effective thing for him.
I may be wrong on this, but, I recall reading some where that when your dogs coat does not contain proper oils they become less resistant to fleas. I can't recall where I read that:confused:

bubbatd

First of all, I wouldn't bathe that often .... I don't think flea shampoos work that well and it's hard on the dogs. Second, it's not hard to attach a shower hose to your shower head line....unscrew head... screw on spray line. Third, switch to K9 Advantix .....I haven't had fleas in years and my neighbors were infested.

MonaD

This probably won't help but...
Murphie is only 65 pounds and only bathed every couple of months but if I can't get her to the U-Do doggie wash (its great! they provide elevated tubs, shampoo, towels, driers AND clean up the disaster after) I fill the tub, soap her up, rinse as good as I can, then get naked and get in the shower with her! I keep her head away from the direct spray but she's is a water dog for sure, so if she gets blasted a bit she doesn't mind too much. And she gets a really good rinse (me too!) Now she is not too happy about the whole thing, but she does tolerate it and having me there too makes it seem like less of a punishment maybe?
Now, for how you and giant Zeus will both fit in your shower...:D

I've read that bathing your dog the least is the best. It removes the essential oils and nutrients from their hair and skin. And a healthy dog that gets brushed regulary shouldn't really need bathed that often. Unless it has a skin problem and starts to stink, I wouldn't bath that often. Hunter gets bathed maybe twice a year and never stinks. Maybe I'm just lucky...

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Elin - while harsh shampoos (especially degreasing ones) do remove skin oils, they can't remove essential oils and nutrients, because those are transported inside the body to where they are needed. :)

bathing frequently isn't a problem if you use a mild shampoo or soap. if a shampoo is labeled as compatible with topicals such as advantage, it's not harsh enough to remove much of the skin oils - to which the advantage binds. mild soaps like for example dr. bronner's organic castile soap work well too.

some dogs with certain skin issues even benefit from frequent bathing with certain types of shampoos.

i give quigley a bath about every other week, since we live in a big city where pollution is rather high. in my opinion it's better for him to get bathed more often rather than leaving all the dirt in his coat and on his paws, where he only ends up ingesting it when he licks himself.

when we go for bike rides or really long walks in the city, i always wash his feet when we get home, for exactly the same reason.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Perhaps someone can clarify this for me. I'm a little confused by the whole anti-bath argument. It says that the natural oils of the dog are removed, which causes problems.

What about humans? We bathe daily with no problem. If it does bad things to dogs, why doesn't it do it to our skin and hair too?

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
HEHEHEHE Gempress go buy a small swimming pool and put it in your garage, *+*POOF*+* you have a instant spa for Zeus

I think it may be referring to not bathing your dog excessivly, they have to have baths occassionaly or they will start smelling hmmm well like my sons feet :(

WES

I think that's a bit much, bathing your dog every 2 to 3 weeks, my dog is only about three and she's only had maybe four baths. Then we brush her almost twice a day, once in the morning then once at night. I guess if you brush your dog twice or more, the dog doesn't need to bathe that much. But, thats just my opion.

garyluer

Gentle Ben
I tried bathing my dog once in the tub. Just couldn't get him clean enough even though I used the extended shower head. Now I have him bathed and clipped professionaly every two months. $25.00 a visit and well worth it.

bubbatd

We have a place you can take your dog and wash them there. They have a ramp your dog can go up, to a waist high shallow tub....spray , blower and towel etc.

Members online

No members online now.