I can't look THAT young?!

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
People constantly think I'm 14 and that my best friend is 13.

When we were in Texas last summer, we were staying at her sisters apartment and went down to swim at the community pool. The lady almost made use pull out our licenses to prove we were 18 and 19, she was convinced we were the above ages :rolleyes:

It happens constantly to us... I don't understand it because I don't think we look THAT young.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I'm 24 almost. People ask me why I'm out so late and where's my mom all the time. If I'm buying smokes or alcohol for any reason they almost ALWAYS want to ask if my ID is fake.

I once had a cop snatch my God damned id out of my hand after the cashier handed it back because it was obviously a fake. I was so pissed I asked him if he'd like to follow me back to the house to get my birth certificate just to check. (We were across the street) :

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
If those who accuse me of being young weren't so condescending and snooty, I wouldn't really mind.

In Vegas we got carded once, and the lady was actually very nice about it. In Atlantic City we were carded a million times in the Borgata before someone was nice enough to tell us that we could go to security, get our IDs checked, and get a stamp.

I ordered a drink at my sister's birthday party a couple of years ago. At first I asked about two of the drinks because I couldn't make up my mind. The waitress looked at me as if I had no reason to be asking such a question and was wasting her time. When I proceeded to actually order a drink, she snottily asked for my ID, and rudely flipped it back at me after she had checked it.

Just this past Thursday a bunch of us went to Tilted Kilt. They check IDs and stamp your hand at the door. Adam showed his ID and got a stamp, but I just said I didn't feel like drinking. He looked at me like I was somehow wasting his time, and asked me if I had an ID or not. I said yes, he asked to see it. He stared at it for awhile, then handed it back while turning his nose up and looking the other direction. He didn't even give me a stamp. What was the point?

I got offered a kids menu until about 18-20. Sometimes I'll still order off the kids menu. :p

K

Kristen1980

I used to get the same reaction and used to hate it. So I started dressing older and my age (early 30's) and less like a teeny bopper and the reaction changed almost overnight! I rarely asked to get carded and if I want the kids meal ;)

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I am 31. A few months ago, I was carded for something (I think it was spray paint?) that you have to be 18 to buy. It blew my mind. I'm used to being carded for alcohol, but c'mon!

`I looked way older growing up. At 12 I looked 16. 16 onwards I still look 16.
I had the same problem, but worse. From the age of 12 onwards, I kept being mistaken for my mother's younger sister. All. The. Time. Talk about a major blow to the self-image of any teen. :rolleyes: I look like an adult in my junior high school pictures. It lasted until I was about 19 or 20. Then, it was as if I stopped aging from that point onward. I think I may actually look younger now than I did in my teens. I think it's a family thing, since my sister and my mother have the same issue. My sister is 27 and still gets mistaken for a student at the public school where she works.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I am 31. A few months ago, I was carded for something (I think it was spray paint?) that you have to be 18 to buy. It blew my mind. I'm used to being carded for alcohol, but c'mon!
The alcohol law here is "if you look under 40, we ID," but I don't know if it's the same for stuff like spray paint and violent video games and all that stuff. I HAVE wondered because I've also been carded for buying... I dunno, I think it was an aerosol adhesive. On the one hand, it would seem ridiculous to be the same - but on the other hand, if they're going to be subjective anyway about how "old" people "look," it seems equally ridiculous to be different...

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
It doesn't normally bug me although it does get annoying constantly fielding questions about my age. I was annoyed at the Dr. Pepper man at Costco though lol, for asking if my mom was with me - dude, I'm 20 years old, I can take this tiny Dixie cup of Dr. Pepper without a parent!

It also gets frustrating if it results in them talking to me like I'm a little kid. That's the worst and is frankly a little uncomfortable.

Haha, last year at my sister's wedding... I was a bridesmaid and while we were eating at the reception, one of the other bridesmaids turns to me and goes, "so, are you in 8th grade?" (not sure where she pulled that number from). "Uhhh, no.... I'm in my 2nd year of college...." So weird.

Generally though I just laugh about it, and yeah I'd rather have people underestimate my age than wayyy overestimate it. :p

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I ordered a drink at my sister's birthday party a couple of years ago. At first I asked about two of the drinks because I couldn't make up my mind. The waitress looked at me as if I had no reason to be asking such a question and was wasting her time.p
I just wanted to say, as a bartender, if you are kind of on the fence about if this person is legal drinking age, things like them asking about drinks, being unsure what they want, or seeming nervous asking is usually a red flag and when you decide to check ID.

Granted, her attitude about it was uncalled for, but asking about drinks and being unsure of what you want is a good way to get carded :p

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I think I was just asking what was in something because it wasn't listed. Or maybe which she preferred. I dunno, something that I didn't think seemed like that odd of a question, lol. I didn't really mind that she asked, it was more how rude she was about it. She looked about the same age as I was (I think I was 23 then), and I was sitting right next to my parents. I may have done some stupid things in my life, but I'm not that stupid. :D

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I feel ya.
I turned 21 last month. I still get carded for cigs. Except at 2 gas stations in town that I've been going to for over a year.

Alcohol? Psh forget it. I went to buy some Smirnoff last week and the cashier threatened to call the cops on me cause he thought my ID was fake LOL
I look about 17, 18 on a good day lol.
I was ID'd a few months ago.

I am 30....

The legal drinking age in the UK is 18.......................

I say :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :rofl1:

The only time it's annoying is when I am working. People have often referred to me as 'that young one' or tell me I can't be much older than such and such and blah blah. And other professionals can not take you seriously. But stress is ageing me very quickly!!!

PlottMom

The Littlest Hound
I am 27 and a few months ago I was chaperoning my kiddos' (that I work with) high school dance - I tried to walk out to grab one of the boys who was being dropped off with us, and the principal flung his arm out and said, "young lady, we're going to need you to stay in the building!"

I just looked at him, gestured up and down the side of my body and said, "cleverly disguised responsible adult. I'm 27."

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I was asked if I was 15 the other day when I went dress shopping. I have also been asked multiple times which high school I go to. I am 25....

When I was around 20-22 it was the worst. I took my little sisters to a hockey game and they were giving free hockey sticks to the kids under 13. I got one handed to me.

I was 21 and flying by myself and I got asked not once but twice where my parents were and if I was lost by airport employees.

I get carded all the time for alcohol but even worse, I get carded buying tickets for a rated R movie or trying to buy a MA rated video game. My 18 year old sister does not get carded as often.

I have been asked if my 13 year old sister and I are twins. I am 11 years older than her!

I could see people thinking I look around 20 now but 15!? Seriously?

Pops2

never been a problem. when i was 14 drinking age was 18 & i didn't get carded. when it turned 21 w/ grandfathering, i continued to go to the same places & never got carded. apparently i aged well, shaving the grey off seems to have kept people thinking i'm in my mid 30s.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Also, those of us that get carded for buying alcohol or going to a club that are around my age or even older, when we hit 30 or 40 and we get carded cause we barely look 21 or so, we will get hit on all.the.time.

So I embrace it now cause later in life, it'll be so worth it :rofl1:

Southpaw

orange iguanas.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Behold:
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1941171&postcount=32

I don't think I look like I'm in the 12-14 year old range, personally!
I am SUPER bad at guessing someone's age, so I just try to not make assumptions.

One of the vets at work always calls me "kiddo" too. That, or "little one." Maybe she doesn't actually know my name. :lol-sign:
Personally I think you look 17-18-ish. I know you are 20 so don't take that the wrong way! But its better than 12 lol

GipsyQueen

It's really weird - it completly depends on the situation. Sometimes people think I'm way younger, and other times people think I'm way older.

I got carded the other day while trying to buy beer. The legal age for buying beer is 16. :rolleyes: So aparently I looked 15? Ugh. I totally don't have a puppy face anymore. :p

And other times, people think I'm much older. :eek: Thats usually when they get to know me though - like at work, or SO's friends never wanted to believe that I'm "only" 20. They always thought I'm 24 or something.

This summer is going to be the first summer where I can actually drink in the US. :rofl1: You know how weird it is to be allowed to buy beer and wine for about 4 years, and all of a sudden you are not allowed to.

I started volunteering with an animal rescue when I was 14 - everyone always assumed I was much older, and were surprised when my mom had to drop me off because I couldn't drive yet lol.I've always acted older, so that might have something to do with it.

At my work, two customers have asked how old I was (in a "Are you old enough to be working here" way). However, one was angry and wanted to talk to a manager, and the other one was creepy. And wanted to ask me out. *shudder* I would have been 17 and 18 at the time.

And I was told for the first time last night that I have a young phone voice. I'm 20, and was told I sound 12.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
When I was in high school the seniors didn't believe I was a freshman. One of them said he would have guessed junior at the least... I know I always came off older than I really was online too. When I was 15 I hung out in a chat room every night, and everybody was always forgetting how old I really was and thought I was older. I think when I turned 20 everybody was like "wait what???"

I doubt if I went back and reminded people I'm almost 28 anybody would be all "OMG THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE." =P

Members online

No members online now.