Need Advice PLEASE!

Dreeza

Ok, here is my vent thread, but i really need help and advice too.

Basically, my bro, who is 14, is Oakley's owner...he takes him on walks, feeds him, trains him, etc.

Now, i'm home, and when my bro is at camp, i am the owner, and i do all that stuff.

My dad doesnt know what to do with a dog...he never really wanted one in the first place...he barely knows how to pet a dog properly...and HATES when he jumps, bites, and get up on the table (his front paws, not all four paws on the table, lol)

My mom loves him...but obviously not when he is in a psychotic mood (doing his 'zoomies' and attacking your arm...well, 'nicely' biting it, he has NEVER drawn blood or caused serious pain to anyone ( i think i got it the worst when he was in my bed, and clamped down on my comforter and managed to get a tiny piece of my skin...like one of those extremely painful blood blister things happened from that...but eh, i cant blame him too much, cuz yeah, i dont think he realized it at all)...anyways, shes pretty good about stuff, although she does spoil him sometimes...but a lot of times, since she is really busy, and isnt home that much anyways, he only gets to play with her when she wants to play.

Now the biggest problem...

my aunt and grandma.

My grandma isnt physically strong enough to get him off her if he jumps up, or is mouthing her, but she doesnt live with us permanently...she is leaving august 13th.

My aunt however, does (dont ask, long, complicated frustrating story)

Now, i dont get along with her, i do not like the fact that she is in my house, and i do NOT like how she treats Oakley.

we are all trying to ignore him when he bites, which is working relatively well...but she grabs his mouth and plays with him when he bites her!! or she taunts him with reflections, making him jump up on counters, and laughing at him...

is it possible to train him with things like this going on? it is sooo frustrating. I have nicely asked not to do it...and shes like "it doesnt hurt him, hes playing" ...

its SO frustrating...especially since i think she does it out of spite...i almost think telling her not to do it will encourage her to do it more...

anyways, how can i train my dog properly when all this is going on?

Could this be the root of most of the problems?

Adrienne

Poor Oakley, he must be so confused. Some people are Ok to bite and nip at and some aren't. That's a dilema a dog can't solve. You need to tell your aunt the proper way to play with a dog. If she isn't willing to go along with the program try not to let her be alone with him. He needs all the help he can get right now to figure out the way things ought to be. That's very sad and mean of your aunt to do that to your dog.

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
I do playfight with my dogs, its a good stress reliever and it helps them keep a "soft mouth" when it comes to bight inhibition, however I wouldnt recommend it to the novice owner, and it doesn't sound like your aunt knows what she's doing, which is excarcerbating the biting problem. No wonder he is still biting and nipping. I would do everything in my power to stop her doing this, and the reflections thing could make him a little neurotic.

Dreeza

the most frustrating thing...this is our first dog...my aunt moved in with us about 2 years ago...and before that, she has owned 2 or 3 dogs...so she should know better than all of us

Members online