A Few Questions

Ok, as you can tell by the title of this post I have a few questions. My family and I just bought a 4 month old puppy named Milly. She's a Jack Russell / Corgi cross.

Question One

Milly has two places where she will go poo (Obviously we're still house-breaking her) and she returns to those two places all the time. Is there some sort of spray or something that we can put there to stop her from pooing there??

Question Two

Does anyone have any house-training tips? My family and I are crate training her (Or at least trying)

Question Three

Is there some way to encourage them to "Go" when their outside? My pup only wants to play when she's outside, and then pee/ poo when she's inside.

Any help is apreciated!!

Thanks,
A Discouraged First-Time Dog Owner

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Question One

Milly has two places where she will go poo (Obviously we're still house-breaking her) and she returns to those two places all the time. Is there some sort of spray or something that we can put there to stop her from pooing there??
Do you mean in the house? I would clean with Nature's Miracle and if that doesn't help, get it professionally cleaned.

Question Two

Does anyone have any house-training tips? My family and I are crate training her (Or at least trying)
It's been almost a year since we've had "puppy" in our house, but the first thing I would suggest, is if you are crating her, NEVER leave her unattended when she's not in her crate. Now, this does not mean that she should be crated 24/7. Puppies needs exercise and time with the family. She's in her crate, the first thing she needs to do when she gets out is go directly outside to do her business. If she doesn't, she goes right back into crate. Try again a few minutes later, etc.. Reward her with play sessions and treats, etc..

Question Three

Is there some way to encourage them to "Go" when their outside? My pup only wants to play when she's outside, and then pee/ poo when she's inside.
Training my dogs to pee and poop on command has been the BEST things ever. When Buddy was a pup, he had problems with housetraining. So when we took him outside, he was on a leash. I went to one area of the yard and stood in one place. He was allowed to go as far as the leash would let him. As soon as he began his business, I immediately would say, "Good piddles" or "good poopers" and give him a treat. We continued this forever and ever and ever. Once he was more reliable we took him off the leash. But still treated him and said "good piddles" etc.. If he didn't go, we would go right back inside and he would go back to his crate. We'd try a few minutes later, etc..

Now, whenever we need the dogs to go, say, we're leaving the house for a few hours, they all can go outside and we can say "piddles" and they will go. I can also say "poopers" and if they've gotta go, they'll go. Hands down, the best idea ever. The dogs also know, that if we are telling them to go piddles, that they have got to go because who knows when their next chance will be.

Here is a page that might help you sort out a schedule for housebreaking:
http://loveyourdog.com/housebreaking.html

My rule for letting pups go unsupervised is 'never'. Having puppies is all about provided opportunities for success. If you can't be with your pup, enclose Milly in a crate, pen, or the yard. If you want her with you, you can attached her lightweight leash to your waist, just for short periods. You can get a playpen or a dog pen inside your house.

Dogs generally need to be supervised for the first year to two years, depending on the dog. First because of housebreaking, and later because of chewing.

Congrats on your new puppy! You're going to have a fun year!

Thanks for all the tips and encouragement! Milly's house-breaking/ training is going great. We taught her to scratch on the back door when she has to go "potty". Of course, she still has a few accidents in the house, but for the most part, she does her business outside. I'll try to post some pics of her, if anyone is interested in seeing them!

1000 Thanks,

Milly and Owners

Members online

No members online now.