Bitten By BC Service Dog today...

otch1

Hi Iliamnas... sorry, did not see your inquiry. Nationally recognized organizations in my area (where moonchild saw this dog) are Canine Companions for Independence started by Bonnie Bergen, the first person to start an organization of it's kind in the U.S. with over 12 regional offices, training centers ect, now. Also, Assistance Dog International and of course, Guide Dogs for the Blind. Canine Companions is the group I was involved with. These are some of the most credible groups in our area, providing service dogs. You're right there has been an ongoing debate over public access laws and the arguement that there should be one governing body for the certification process of a service animal. Currently, these people do simply need to show proof that this is actually a service dog, not their pet.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
by the americans with disabilities act they infact DO NOT by law have to provide any such proof, you can ask what the dog does as a service dog (ie what services they provide) but by law you CANNOT ask for proof of disability or proof of "service dog" most people however dont know this but anyone who is familiar with the laws could turn around and sue for being dissalowed entrance with their self trained dog!
schools and courtrooms, workplaces and other privatly owned places CAN however require documentation of your disability from your dr. public places however by law cannot ask for ANY kind of "proof" everyone however can ask any nonebehaved "service dog" to leave if its being disruptive or the handler doesnt have control of the dog (like in this case) but they cannot ask for ANY KIND of proof.

as for the blue vest, all coloured vests are commonly availale online without proof of need for service dogs.
theres a verity of sites to get them and the patches from (the patches run from $2.50-$7 each depending on where you buy them.) so just because the dog is wearing patches means nothing.

as for a service dog for arthrits and hypoglycemia.
the arthritis in its toughest forms the dog would be trained to pick up objects, pul objects ect.
as for hypoglycemia, theres some support (it goes much along the loines of dogs allerting to seizures) that the dog can smell the chemical change and can react to such things, some are also trained to fetch help incase of hypoglycemic shock, passing out ect. but youd have to have very bad hypoglycemia to need a service dog.

I have no problem with people needing service dogs for things such as hypoglycemia, as i said I am epileptic and vixie alerts thus far 100% accuratly to oncomming seizures about 1/2 hour before hand. Dodger also reacts but we cant tell if hes just reacting to vixies behaviours since there always together.
vixie was NEVER trained to alert, something like alerting to seizures is a behaviour that cannot be trained.
I have trained her how to tell me though, she now will take a hold of my pant leg in her mouth and tug to get my attention. the only time she does this is when alerting. I also trained her what to do during a seizure (i freeze seize) so she climbs onto my lap and licks my face untill i "break" she also becomes very defensive during a freeze (i had my wallet stolen during a seizure once) so i had to train her to allow people in uniform neer me.

but at the same time, she barley ever has to be out with me because i dont go out alone often, and when she is she is on her best behaviour.
when she wears her vest she is on duty, on or off leash! and ALWAYS under control.

this woman gives every one of us out there with properly self trained dogs, and those of us with disabilities beyond the typically recognized as needing a service dog, all bad names.

moonchild1970

Designated Ball Thrower
I couldn't agree more. More people that have service dogs, need to take their dog's service dog role seriously and not just use that as a way to tote their pet around town.

Last edited:

otch1

Hi... I'm slow in posting responses! Lol. Busy weekend. Foxy, I was not suggesting that all self trained assistance animals are not credible. Just wanted to make sure you knew that, as you obviously have a dog that provides a valuable service for you and it sound like you indeed trained him yourself? You repeated my sentiment... that it's because of the dogs/owners like the one moonchild ran into, that it's difficult for some of the smaller or newer groups to gain recognition or credibility. There are a handful of training schools claiming to train/provide service dogs, that do not have the experience to do so. As for the ADA, I believe we're disputing wording here, about showing "proof" one has and is trying to gain public access with a service dog, verses a pet. Yes, anyone can buy a pack and harness on line. As for the blue pack you mentioned, CCI clearly identifies their packs, the dogs i.d. tags and a card the recipient carries, that this is a service dog. At least that was the case 10 years ago. I believe all individuals should be required to do that, but then you run into the issue of owner trained dogs. We had to identify many of our dogs in Washington when doing fundraisers, public speaking, fairs, ect. and entering restaurants or a privately owned business. Our dogs that were identified as still in training, with a puppy raiser, regardless of dogs age/training, were often denied access. A business such as say... Boeing, can ask that the recipient to show verification of disability if not obvious and i.d that this is a service dog. A business owner can ask if it's a service dog you're entering with, and yes they can deny you access if they do not believe you, but they're in for a law suit now, thanks to the ADA ... if this was an actual service dog, the owner identified them as such and they were still denied access. (Identified meaning simply stating the dogs function.) Most individuals who have a pet and whose dogs really do not perform a nessecary function are smart enough not to sue and most business owners and employees are able to identify a true "service" animal by their level of training, their performance in public and the handlers control over them and do not consider it nessecary to question that individuals right to access. Just wanted to clear up my previous post.

Members online

No members online now.