How do you administer meds..........

I used to be able to just drop them to the back of Baileys throat and then rub his neck and he would swallow them.....but he got wise to that and is very stubborn.
So now i have to crush them down to a fine powder and mix them in (well) with his food.

How do you give tablets to your dogs....or cats?

Roxy's CD

Roxy has to take pills everyday, and she's such a doll. Poor girl.

I put them in the very back of her throat, my whole hand down there, and push them along with my fingers, than I give her throat a quick rub, and she eats to make sure they go down all the way.

So instead of just putting them in her mouth, and holding her mouth shut and rubbing her throat. I skip all that. She sits, she opens her mouth for me, I shuv my hand in, we do this twice she has two pills she has to take and they're quite large, then I give a quick rub just incase they're stuck in there funny and she gets her breakfast :D

With Farley I have to use the same method as Roxy. Chloe is so easy - all I have to do is put the pill in my palm and whoosh, it is gone!:D

With the Grrrrls it's easy . . . just pop those maws open and stick my hand down the ivory lined cavern, drop the pill in the back, hike my hand back out of the cave and grab the sides of the jowls until they swallow. If they start rolling their tongues around, I blow in their faces and they swallow immediately ;)

I don't think I've ever had to give Bimmer a pill . . .

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Buddy gets pills everyday, twice a day, and he gets them in his kibble.

If he has to take anymore pills than that,he gets a special treat with them in peanut butter and he licks the spoon and the pill and he thinks he's in heaven. :D

Lizmo

Water Junkie
The only time I have had to gie Lizzie pills was when she had an ear infection or when she had a bee sting and had to take benadryl and I just put some butter on the pill and it just slides right down!!! She is a VERY good pill taker!!! Thank goodness b/c if it wasn't knowing her it would be a pain in the neck to give her pills!!!!

L

LabBreeder

Put the pills as far back into the dogs mouth as possible, hold the mouth closed (so he/she can't spit it out) and rub the throat to coax swallowing.

elegy

overdogged
i just dump luce's pill in her food bowl with her meal. 90% of the time she eats it with her kibble. the other 10% i have to either smear peanut butter on it or stuff it down her throat.

i've found that hiding the pill in one treat and having a second treat out and ready to go gets the first treat down the hatch quicker because the dog wants the second one too.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I use peanut butter or cream cheese first and if the dog still won't take it, I'll open the mouth and shove them as far back as I can, then hold and stroke. Luckily Sawyer is great about taking pills, Virgo loves her heartworm and Aubrey will take anything that smells remotely edible.

Roxy's CD

I tried the peanut butter method, but not only was Roxy getting the poopies :eek: but she was having trouble swallowing the pills, she kept trying to chew them and she'd spit them out.

I think the way I do it is the same as Poodle and Renee. Unfortuantely BP, Roxy is much to clever to eat pills in her food. Especially cuz these smell funky! :eek: ROFL

bubbatd

Luckily there aren't any now and few in the past . Most took them " disguised " ... otherwise it was the throat deal . I never liked to break them up in food , as most have a bitter taste. Heart worm pills have alway been taken as a treat !

Carolyn

ZooMaster!!
Max is the only one on tablets here and thats his Glucosamine. Because he is so big he has 3 a night, which is correct for his 60kg weight. It's easy for us to crush them up into powder with his food. They are easy to crush and he has no problems eating them like this

Members online

No members online now.