Car Care

I know there are a few car people on here. I am not a car person. I put gas in it, I hand the keys off to someone else for oil changes & tire rotations & the like, and occasionally run it through a car wash. I am determined to do better with Handles! I said this when I bought my Ford, but she upset me about 6 months in by not starting and my opinion went from 'my precious' to 'you can burn in hel....hades' so...yeah. Of course, it didn't help that I lived in an apartment for 3 of the 4 years I owned that car so I couldn't do any actual washing or vacuuming it out, or anything like that.

So, friends, I want to keep Handles for a lot of years. I want to put 150-200K miles on him. And I want him to look darn good until then. Favorite cleaners (inside, outside, glass) other things to keep a car running in tip top shape.

Dekka

Just try me..
Niice

I feel the same way too, with my new car. I will be watching to see what people say when it comes to products they use (I have lots of good mechanical car people in my life..)

joce

All our cars go 200,000 plus and I can't even say I change the oil regularly! My cars been washed twice in seven years :)

Just get it maintenance regularly and if something seems off get it checked right away.

JacksonsMom

I always promise myself I'm going to take better care of my Jeep too. And I go through phases lol. I'm more apt to wash it and take care of it in the summer than winter.

I actually just went to the Family Dollar the other day (the one where not everything is only $1 lol) and they had these wipes for cars that came in a container like those Lysol wipes. They've been very convenient. My dashboard gets dusty quick, and my cupholders etc.

I also love my Febreeze car vent thingys.

But honestly? These ones:

are always my fav. I love the vanilla scent. They're so ugly though so I keep them hidden- but they smell sooo good.

I have black carpet interior and black fabric sooo it gets dirty real quick which is annoying. I feel like I should vaccum every other day at this point but that just... doesn't happen. It's more like once every 2 weeks.

I try to get it professionally washed once a month in the spring and summer.

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
Outside... Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax and a good microfiber. I wash it at least every week. Clay bar every month or so. I use Meguiar's Ultimate paste wax. I have a RO polisher with a few different compounds, but I'm not usually motivated enough to use it unless it's critical. For my wheels, I love Sonax. Eagle One wheel cleaner is decent, I think. Or maybe it was Mother's. I don't remember.

Inside... If you have leather, Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I have a Swiffer duster for the dash. I use Meguiar's Natural Shine for wiping things down. I vacuum the seats and carpets at least every week. I have a steam cleaner if anything gets really dirty for some reason. Stoner Invisible Glass for, well, the glass.

I have a million different things I use on my car, but I think those are all the most important. I'm sure you don't intend to be anywhere near as serious about it as I am, haha.

noludoru

Bored Now.

But honestly? These ones:
I just had to see these two pictures to know that I could smell your car before the door opens. :eek: That's a LOT of powerful chemical perfumes. You've gotta be killing your nose.

Lost, I'm going to second Reds suggestions and make a detailed post with product links for you when I get home. You use a amazon?

xpaeanx

Based on where we live the best advice I can think of to make your car last is take care of the frame. They like to salt roads like madmen around here all winter and that just rots your car. Pretty much everything else on your car can be replaced... A rotted frame is pretty much a death sentence for a car. They can patch it up, but it's not worth it and it's not as safe that way.

So, in the winter rinse the underside of your car off often(especially right after salting or wet road conditions and get car washes that wash the underside of the car(go to a place that has sprayers pointed up to rinse, soap, rinse under there). After the last salting of the season, give it a few rains to rinse the roads and then realllllly rinse down the underside and head out to get a wash with soap under there.

I'm very basic on my car care bc honestly I'm lazy. But the frame is a safety hazard. Garaging helps tremendously, but that salt is still a killer. I'm actually having my car's frame repainted this summer. My little focus has 240k and is still going strong with minimal rust underneath... I want him to stay that way, our goal is 400k! HaHa.

So that's my 2 cents, but in terms of looks it seems you have a lot of good advice so far. As I said... far too lazy for that. HaHa. My car care routine is to clean the windows and rain-x every glass surface, vacuum the inside and armor-all the interior. He only goes to the car wash in the winter(and no I do not wash my own car exterior. LOL. $4 if I go before class... Sound perfect to me!)

I just had to see these two pictures to know that I could smell your car before the door opens. :eek: That's a LOT of powerful chemical perfumes. You've gotta be killing your nose.

Lost, I'm going to second Reds suggestions and make a detailed post with product links for you when I get home. You use a amazon?
Thanks! I do use Amazon, it's my favorite. I get the products I love and don't have to deal with people.

Based on where we live the best advice I can think of to make your car last is take care of the frame. They like to salt roads like madmen around here all winter and that just rots your car. Pretty much everything else on your car can be replaced... A rotted frame is pretty much a death sentence for a car. They can patch it up, but it's not worth it and it's not as safe that way.

So, in the winter rinse the underside of your car off often(especially right after salting or wet road conditions and get car washes that wash the underside of the car(go to a place that has sprayers pointed up to rinse, soap, rinse under there). After the last salting of the season, give it a few rains to rinse the roads and then realllllly rinse down the underside and head out to get a wash with soap under there.

I'm very basic on my car care bc honestly I'm lazy. But the frame is a safety hazard. Garaging helps tremendously, but that salt is still a killer. I'm actually having my car's frame repainted this summer. My little focus has 240k and is still going strong with minimal rust underneath... I want him to stay that way, our goal is 400k! HaHa.

So that's my 2 cents, but in terms of looks it seems you have a lot of good advice so far. As I said... far too lazy for that. HaHa. My car care routine is to clean the windows and rain-x every glass surface, vacuum the inside and armor-all the interior. He only goes to the car wash in the winter(and no I do not wash my own car exterior. LOL. $4 if I go before class... Sound perfect to me!)
I am really bad about washing my car. the Ford probably hadn't been really washed in a few years. Just left her out in a rain to get some of the dust off. But, basically i wanted her to turn into a pile of rust.

Outside... Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax and a good microfiber. I wash it at least every week. Clay bar every month or so. I use Meguiar's Ultimate paste wax. I have a RO polisher with a few different compounds, but I'm not usually motivated enough to use it unless it's critical. For my wheels, I love Sonax. Eagle One wheel cleaner is decent, I think. Or maybe it was Mother's. I don't remember.

Inside... If you have leather, Lexol cleaner and conditioner. I have a Swiffer duster for the dash. I use Meguiar's Natural Shine for wiping things down. I vacuum the seats and carpets at least every week. I have a steam cleaner if anything gets really dirty for some reason. Stoner Invisible Glass for, well, the glass.

I have a million different things I use on my car, but I think those are all the most important. I'm sure you don't intend to be anywhere near as serious about it as I am, haha.
I did want to thank you for this. I've head good things about Meguiar and was thinking about ordering online. Or do general car places (Autozone, NAPA, etc) carry this sort of stuff? I do not have leather seats, just not interested in it. Do you like the Stoner Invisible Glass? My dad swears by Rain-X, but I have the cleaner/whatever and it just doesn't work for me. It's always smeary and blech. I really want something that will do what Rain-X does and help the rain roll off the windshield, but also keep it clean and not smudgy

JacksonsMom

Lol, I don't use them at the same time, but they don't bother me much. It's usually only strong for the first day!

RedHotDobe

aka RedHotBabe
I did want to thank you for this. I've head good things about Meguiar and was thinking about ordering online. Or do general car places (Autozone, NAPA, etc) carry this sort of stuff? I do not have leather seats, just not interested in it. Do you like the Stoner Invisible Glass? My dad swears by Rain-X, but I have the cleaner/whatever and it just doesn't work for me. It's always smeary and blech. I really want something that will do what Rain-X does and help the rain roll off the windshield, but also keep it clean and not smudgy
Definitely at any auto parts store, but you can also find most, if not all, of them at Target or Walmart. I far prefer Invisible Glass. I have Rain-X and it's sooo streaky. You can always clean your windshield and then wax it.

Definitely at any auto parts store, but you can also find most, if not all, of them at Target or Walmart. I far prefer Invisible Glass. I have Rain-X and it's sooo streaky. You can always clean your windshield and then wax it.
Excellent. I actually think I saw it at Home Depot last weekend. I'm definitely more likely to be in a Home Depot than Target or Walmart. Both of those places are too far away - especially Walmart

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
What do you use with the Invisible Glass? I've tried paper towels and microfiber cloth and wasn't thrilled. Is newspaper the magic trick?

Members online

No members online now.