Butterfly Turkey?

noludoru

Bored Now.
Low and slow. OR Super high, then turn the oven off. I flip the birds breast down at first and cover completely with foil, then flip them last hour or so for a crispy skin. Keeps the breast from getting dried out. Also, butter. Tons of butter, placed between skin and meat.

Never removed the backbone before, though, and I'm not cooking a turkey this year because I couldn't find a small enough one. I'm sure Zander would have loved that method.

If you like super crunchy skin, baste with coconut milk/oil/however you like it. Caramelizes the skin to sweet crunchy perfection, creates a barrier and seals in the moisture in the breast and meat. Mmmm. You can do that on pigs, too.
Perfect advice here.

The slower you cook it at a low temperature, the juicier and tastier it is. Cooking it like that allows the oils to sink into the meat. . . and well, NOM. I would suggest wrapping it in foil and adding some sort of extra oil or fat to the bird during the cooking process. It's not healthy, but it's thanksgiving. Screw healthy. Eat amazing turkey.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
But.... I dont like turkey!
*commences shunning*

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one on here who loves the turkey skin! I've eaten dinners where the hosts REMOVED AND THREW AWAY the skin while carving. They said it was because the skin was "unhealthy for you."

We're about to dig into a meal loaded with carbs, shortening, butter and sugar! What's a little turkey skin at that point?

Lyzelle

*commences shunning*

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one on here who loves the turkey skin! I've eaten dinners where the hosts REMOVED AND THREW AWAY the skin while carving. They said it was because the skin was "unhealthy for you."

We're about to dig into a meal loaded with carbs, shortening, butter and sugar! What's a little turkey skin at that point?
Perfect advice here.

The slower you cook it at a low temperature, the juicier and tastier it is. Cooking it like that allows the oils to sink into the meat. . . and well, NOM. I would suggest wrapping it in foil and adding some sort of extra oil or fat to the bird during the cooking process. It's not healthy, but it's thanksgiving. Screw healthy. Eat amazing turkey.
I'm Primal/Paleo, which means a ton of natural saturated fats, so I don't have this problem! ;) Makes the holidays so much more awesome.

You know, if I was actually cooking. :eek:

The dogs love the skin, lol. Works out well, since I can't stand the taste of it. They get pretty much all the dark meat as well, either after mom's decided to make soup that she knows she won't eat or if reality glimmers in her head for a brief moment and she realizes she can either let them have it before she goes to the extra work of making soup or after.

Members online

No members online now.