Cesar Millan attempted suicide

JacksonsMom

I was thinking this too. That situation isn't something anyone should wish anyone to be in. But it's old news. It's from back in 2010 and just NOW he is talking about it. I DO think that is weird timing especially since he has that new show coming out.

Honestly I've always thought he really cares about dogs. I've always wondered if maybe he does know there is a better way to train dogs but he's just got such an ego problem and is so deep with his training methods that he's afraid to come out and say 'hey... I was wrong here's a better way!'.

If he ever changed his training ways I'd probably watch some of his stuff. I like how he DOES seem to care about the dogs and seems like a decent guy. A lot of training stuff I've watched I always get the vibe of 'ok this is how to train subject #43847593' and I don't get that from him.
I do agree. It seems like he really truly does LOVE the dogs so it's so hard for me to understand some of his choices. I mean, it's not like watching Brad Pattinson for god's sake ... who clearly doesn't even like dogs or people. Like I seriously don't even understand how people can watch him and say "Yeah! That looks right!" whereas Cesar, I can see the appeal -- I once was one who thought he was amazing. I do not agree at all with his training methods and lack a lot of respect for the harm he has done, but he also seems like a decent guy who really does love dogs.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
To be fair, suicide attempts are not just something many people talk about publicly the week after it happened. Yes it's been 2 years, but it's certainly a painful and for many people shameful thing to discuss.

Yeah, it could be all for publicity, but I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Shakou

To be fair, suicide attempts are not just something many people talk about publicly the week after it happened. Yes it's been 2 years, but it's certainly a painful and for many people shameful thing to discuss.

Yeah, it could be all for publicity, but I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Also, I'm not sure how that could benefit his reputation in a good way. Suicide isn't exactly something to be proud of.

Danefied

I've certainly met some "positive" trainers who only have only extended that courtesy to their dogs, and were vicious people. Now, I've met some very mean traditional trainers as well, but anyways I don't think that's the point here.
No, not the point. There are some gawd awful people out there period. I’ve left some R+ groups because it was nothing but a bitch fest, but frankly the counter group is no better. Sadly, anytime you get people in to a group based on “we’re not *them*†you get ugliness.
By the same token, there are lovely people out there too - regardless of training methods.
I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t judge the person by the methods they use to train their dog.

As for CM... Gosh... I’m trying *really* hard to be compassionate here. I can’t even imagine what kind of pressure someone with his kind of celebrity must be under. However...

He has always struck me as a misogynist. Just seemingly innocuous things he says and the implication behind them. I’ve read 3 of his books and again, got the same icky feeling off those. The skeptic in me can’t help but wonder if his suicide “attempt†was a power play. A manipulation of sorts to get his wife back.
It is not an unusual tactic for a narcissistic man who was left (she did the leaving, not him).

**Putting attempt in quotes - it in no way is meant to belittle anyone in pain who is thinking about ending it. It is because if his plan was to manipulate his wife, he never intended to actually kill himself, just make it look that way.

Obviously, this is 100% speculation on my part, I have no idea what goes through his mind. Whatever is going through is mind though, I hope he finds peace.

spiffy

Oh my gee! A lot of dog owners here in chazhound may not agree with his training methods but a suicide attempt would still be very sad. :(

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
I feel very badly that he was that low. I honestly believe that he is a good person, who just didn't know he was doing wrong and now doesn't want to admit he was wrong. The things that I don't appreciate about this are:

A: When he said Junior was hi SD, he got him "certified" by one of those fake online certifications where you pay $150 and they send you a vest and a certificate saying your dog is a SD, no questions asked. Made him seem like he was "faking it," which makes people with real SDs look bad.

B: He claims to have healed himself using "pack theory." I think that could make people with depression think that they can heal themselves rather than seek help.

The thing that gets lost when the D word comes up is that not all depression is clinical -- some of it is circumstantial -- situational -- and working through the situations, fixing what you can and consigning the rest to history and lessons learned IS the "cure."

Sometimes depression is a natural, rational, sane reaction to too much sh1t.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Actually he bought a registry online, that is all. That is not the downfall of SDs, we always encourage registering a self trained SD because you cannot certify them the same way and not everyone needs/has resources for an organization SD.

Also I agree with Renee, sometimes depression is "fixable" than manageable. I actually find it refreshing to see that argument.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
Actually he bought a registry online, that is all. That is not the downfall of SDs, we always encourage registering a self trained SD because you cannot certify them the same way and not everyone needs/has resources for an organization SD.
But you don't have to certify SDs. There is no requirement to do so in the ADA and businesses/housing/etc. can't require it according to the ADA. I am self training my SD, but I have no plan of giving money to one of the "certification" scams. I have a harness and may buy one of those tags, but even that is not required. Too many people don't know that and think they have to certify their SD and end up giving money to these companies thinking that "certification" will protect them, when it might not do so!

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
The thing that gets lost when the D word comes up is that not all depression is clinical -- some of it is circumstantial -- situational -- and working through the situations, fixing what you can and consigning the rest to history and lessons learned IS the "cure."

Very well said.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
But you don't have to certify SDs. There is no requirement to do so in the ADA and businesses/housing/etc. can't require it according to the ADA. I am self training my SD, but I have no plan of giving money to one of the "certification" scams. I have a harness and may buy one of those tags, but even that is not required. Too many people don't know that and think they have to certify their SD and end up giving money to these companies thinking that "certification" will protect them, when it might not do so!
Registering, again not certifying, will merely provide you with confidence, backing, and the patchwork that often keeps people off your back. You don't have to but it doesn't mean anyone using a registry is being stupid or damning valid SDs everywhere.

I agree with you, even one of the Doc's that wrote the manual on mental health disorders came out and said that when he wrote it, he didn't account for many people having perfectly normal reactions to the situations they were in and diagnosing docs needed to take that into account before diagnosing.

ACooper

........snip...........

The skeptic in me wonders that he's telling this story just as he's about to launch a new TV show.

I have a difficult time taking anything he says at face value.
My first reaction as well. Hopefully he wouldn't go there, I don't want to think of anyone using this kind of story to sell things..........though I know they do :(

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I feel like responding... So? Not in a cruel way. I just have no interest in most celebrity life.

Members online

No members online now.