Weak trachea genetic?

My 10 month old Aussie has been coughing since she was a pup. First I thought it was kennel cough but it wasn't. She coughs any time there is pressure on her throat. I stopped showing her because the slip lead would induce coughing. The vet does not feel that she has a collapsed trachea, but rather a weakened one that is just more prone to inducing a cough than a normal trachea. It doesn't take much pressure to get her coughing. I have her on a chest harness to walk now. The vet prescribed doxy just to see if it would help so we are going to start that. Should this be reason for having her spayed or is it unclear if this is genetic or not? She has been passing all other health tests so far and will be getting titled in obedience and rally next year. I want to put her back in the show ring as well, but can't if she is going to cough.

Michelle
Spirited Shepherds - Shepherds with Spirit!
German, Shiloh and Australian Shepherds

GSD: Int/NatCH Blackthorn's Onyx RN BN CGC TDI ~ Nyxie 7/4/10
Shiloh Shepherd: Int/Nat JuA Spirited Glory of Brick Chapel ~ Glory 5/12/11
Aussie: Nat BA Spirited's Twilight Sparkle of Lobo ~ Tala 12/20/11

Flyinsbt

It could be genetic. I'll say that the bitch pup of my last breeding (who I placed) also has had an on and off cough from puppyhood, which is made worse by pressure on her trachea. It appears to be a pollen allergy, and isn't causing her any real trouble. So I wouldn't automatically assume the trachea is weak.

Members online

No members online now.