How many dogs are TOO many

I feel the same...two is enough for me. I want to be able to give them the proper attention they deserve. I work at least 40 hours per week, then have to give attention to family and fur family. :D That;s about all I can handle. I've thought about one more...you never know. ;)

yanya

BagelDog said:
Yanya, are you sure about your fort worth 3 dog limit. I live in Dallas, and we have 5 dogz legally. Im pretty sure Fort Worths legal limit is 4.
I should look into this. My mother and grandmother both say the limit is three, and I vaguely remember there being a story in the Star-Telegram a few months back that mentioned it as well. Hmmm...any ideas where I would find this information on the internet?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.
http://www.fortworthgov.org/health/MR/Releases/numberofanimals2003.asp
Three dogs, no Shiba for me...

Last edited:
CottonBlueToyPoodle said:
This reply is to Renee. I love the quote you have attached to your profile.

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." Edward Hoagland

When I trained Cotton his tricks he always responded better when I barked or howl as oppose to speaking english.
Thanks! It really is true. Life is much more interesting when you have more than one perspective too. And it's always seemed a bit fascist to me to think that animals should be the only ones to adapt - after all, it's their world too.

Athe

I have 5 dogs, for myself this is perfect as I live with my sister and we can give the dogs all the love and attention they require. I wouldn't have any more than this. The most important things to think about are, can you afford medical emergencies for more than 2 dogs if they arise? can you afford annual checkup's, good quality food for more than 2 dogs. Do you have time to dedicate to proper grooming, pedicures, ear cleaning etc?
Will your dogs nose be put out of joint with new dogs coming to live. There are some dogs I have met that have been stressed out in multi dog households and don't get on well with the other dogs. You also have to make sure that city by laws allow for more than 2 dogs. I know a women who breeds Golden's, the by laws dictate she can only have 2 dogs. She has 5 dogs, she just takes them out at individual times and every one thinks they are just the 2 dogs, they don't know the difference. I thought that was hilarious! :D

mrose_s

BusterLove
we were 3 going on four but onion was a little pushy, what have you got now juliefurry.
and if you think that you can handle more, go for it, save a life. If your not sure, find a friend or relative that will take the dog if you can't manage it.

showpug

I have 4, but 3 are pugs that sleep all day ;) I tried going down to two and it just didn't feel right...not enough work!! LOL. I did not have as many mouths to feed, dogs to wash...and the house, it was just too clean :D I think I do best with 4.

We were originally planning on giving Tippy to friends. I'm so glad they didn't want her!! They got a dog from the shelter and chained it to a tree all day. Luckily the shelter took the dog back. I can't imagine life with out my TipTip.

About 3-5 dogs?
but you 'll need a lot of $ for food, and for new dogs, new dog houses, bowls, tos, and such. space is no problem for me, bu our family is not too rich to take care of 3 dogs..
i have 2 dogs

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Well we have three now. I don't know if I want to wait to add another dog. I know Shelby gets a little out of sorts when anything new happens. We'll be moving so I know that will be HUGE change for her. Plus, I don't know about the yard in the house we are looking at. I know it's enough for our three but I think four big dogs would be pushing it. I, for some reason, don't like small dogs (for myself). I mean I LOVE all dogs but I am mainly a big dog person. I would prefer a big dog to a small one, although I have been looking at toy poodles lately (my husband doesn't want me to get one because he doesn't want to get caught walking it).

Dakotah_2009

OOO YEA SHHHAKE IT!!
CottonBlueToyPoodle said:
I guess it depend on the amount of space you have in your home and how much you can handle as well as being conscious of neighbors that may live close by. Get hundreds of dogs!!!!!!!!! :D
I totally agree!!! If I where grown and had lots of land and plently of money I would get all the dogs I could. Which reminds me when I do get older I plan on getting anywhere from 2-5 dogs. But I guess it just depends on the time and space you have.

Staff online

Members online