Ripe Meat for Kibble-fed dog

GingerKid

Snowball is mainly kibble fed, with raw supplements a few times a month. He has eaten raw in the past for a few weeks and had no issues, even with a quick switch.

Now... I've got two turkey wings sitting in my fridge that I bought on Monday, meaning to give to him, and I kept forgetting. They were packed on Feb 8 (a week ago) and they're just starting to get slimy. I looked into whether old meat is generally okay for dogs, and I found alternately that old meat should never be fed (i.e. don't feed your dog anything you wouldn't eat yourselves), and that old meat is just fine for raw-fed dogs. But I haven't really found anything about old meat for kibble-fed dogs. I'm tempted to just give him one, but I was wondering whether anyone feeding kibble has any experience with feeding meat on the riper side.

Xandra

I'll feed mine downright smelly meat with no ill effects. Just starting to get slimy would no problem over here

I got a lot lessworried about slightly gross meat after watching Gambit eat a possum that had been baking on the road in the middle of july for at least 3 days. Das coy is gross

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
It'll be fine. I feed only raw, never kibble. It seems the stinkier the better! Dogs bodies are designed to handle raw meat, old, new, bacteria and all. We humans not so much, dogs yes. Think about what all dogs eat they find on their own. Like, poop.

GingerKid

Thanks for your input everyone. I gave Snowball the smaller of the two wings today. It... had an off smell when I took it out of the package, but it wasn't horrific. The dog sure didn't baulk at it! He spent 5 minutes just licking the snow where he'd been chewing on it, making sure he got every single drop.

mrose_s

BusterLove
In the past I've fed my raw fed dog's semi-smelly meat. On many occasions without issues. Sometimes with bringing it back up.

Once I gave Quinn some chicken that was a bit slimy, she's a bit of a iron stomach so I didn't worry about it. Took her to work the next day, my boss was going down to the kennels so I told him to take her down for the day.

He rang me 20 minutes later asking if I'd done this on purpose, said she had "exploded" in the crate... 30 minutes from being able to stop anywhere to clean it.
Poor thing, only time she's got the runs in her entire life and it was trapped inside a small crate.

Now I only feed it if it's barely smelly and I usually make sure she spends the next day at home incase she needs to get anything out of her system.

Members online

No members online now.