Retained Puppy Teeth

So, Lil' Sis has two retained puppy teeth; both of her canine baby teeth are still in.

I have heard that pulling baby teeth causes mouth cancer in dogs.

What what point should I consider getting them pulled?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
To be honest that is one of the most absurd things I've heard? How could it cause cancer?

Retained teeth causes crowding, allows food and debris to get trapped leading to dental disease. The adult teeth usually then aren't aligned properly which can cause issues depending on the teeth - like wearing against other teeth or causing discomfort if they hit theroof of the mouth.

Id get them extracted if she's over 9mos.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
We had beau's pulled at around 10-11 months? Mia retained hers a while and I was going to get them removed at her spay but they fell out on their own at about 9-10 months.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I have heard that pulling baby teeth causes mouth cancer in dogs.
No. No no no no no no no no no.

That being said, if she's going to be under anesthesia for a spay anytime soon, have them done then. Otherwise, I'd agree with everyone else: if they haven't fallen out by the time she's 9 months, get them removed.

No, no spay anytime soon! In fact, we've got a puppy match coming up in November. She's six months old this month.

Yeah, maybe that is just a wives' tale re: the mouth cancer. I don't even know where I heard it, honestly.

One of her baby canines came out yesterday, but the other one is still in.

Grab

Brooks' top canines fell out relatively late..a little past seven months. I'd have them removed, as others have said, if they don't fall out by 9 months. Brooks' were already trapping food..it gave him bad breath..just ickiness. (my coworkers teased me because I'd floss between the teeth, lol)

They should be able to be removed relatively easy with some sedation.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
She's six months old this month.
If she's not even 6 months yet, I would not be worried tbh. I see a LOT of client dogs who keep the baby canines after their adult canines are poking through, but by 7 months the baby canines are gone.

Members online

No members online now.