Spaying=Aggression???

M

mutts

I have a nine month old female purebred mutt that I have not yet spayed. I have heard many people say that their female (not male) became aggressive or even began to have separation anxiety after being spayed. I know the health benefits to spaying but I also want to make sure it is also beneficial for her mentally/behaviorally.
I have two young children and I would never want her personality to change so drastically that she would become aggressive towards them.
If you have any personal experience with this or any information concerning this topic, please let me know!!!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
There is a lot of debate around the topic but IME I have had more dogs altered without behavioral changes than ones with.

That said, I would alter around 1 year for a female or 6 months for a female that I could not ensure absolute safety against breeding.

My one female was spayed at 6 months (regret it very much) but she didn't show any turn towards aggresive behavior at all.

My family's female was spayed at 6 and her tolerance of other dogs went way down. She went from rather dog tolerant to not being allowed near dogs that are not our own house dogs or dogs she grew up with shortly thereafter and even now I watch her with my other female at all times carefully.

M

mutts

Well, she hasn't even had her first heat yet... I was thinking a year or a little over if I decided to do the spay surgery.
There was a website I went to once that stated that when they are spayed the testosterone in their body isn't balanced by the estrogen so essentially the testosterone dominates sometimes creating aggression. Any truth to this? I don't know where this website was.... It was a while ago...

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Of my past dogs:

- Nikki was spayed at 7 years old and other than weight gain had no personality change (she was a bitch before and a bitch after lol)

- Rose was spayed at 2 and stayed the same but her hair grew a lot

- Summer was spayed at 4 and stayed the same, but grew a little more hair

- Mia was spayed at 1 year and didn't change as far as I can tell

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Well, she hasn't even had her first heat yet... I was thinking a year or a little over if I decided to do the spay surgery.
There was a website I went to once that stated that when they are spayed the testosterone in their body isn't balanced by the estrogen so essentially the testosterone dominates sometimes creating aggression. Any truth to this? I don't know where this website was.... It was a while ago...
Summer and Rose are both spayed and are two of the mildest mannered dogs I've ever met.

M

mutts

Right now her personality is very submissive towards other dogs. She LOVES them. However, she is leery of strangers and slightly fearful. She also has slight separation anxiety. (Reverse of the stereotypical pit bull-- usually dog aggressive).

M

mutts

*note-- she is a mutt but her momma was definitely Boston terrier and her daddy definitely had some pit appearance. The only one breed we can pinpoint for certain is the Boston terrier

Dekka

Just try me..
I think its only a worry with dogs that are ALREADY aggressive. The vast majority of bitches get altered with no adverse affects.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Eve, who is dog-aggressive, was spayed at 4 and experienced a lot of weight gain and hair growth, but I have noticed no difference in her temperament thus far, and she's been spayed for over a year.

M

mutts

Kady-- your pits are STUNNING!!
I just love the way my pups personality is.... I would never want her to change because of a surgery.

Grab

All of my females have been spayed..none have had any behavioral changes. I'd certainly wait until she was a year, if you can safely keep her contained when she's in heat, but aside from that, I'd have no concern .

I'd wonder if the people whose dogs had behavior changes had their dogs spayed young and it was just the behavioral changes they'd normally have gone through anyway as they aged?

M

mutts

Grab-- that's a very good likelihood. A lot of vets push a person to spay/neuter as early as 8 weeks!! That's craziness. I wanted to wait until she is at least full grown physically to have her fixed. Theres a very low chance of her getting pregnant... I don't have any other dogs and we have a fenced in back yard (secure). Not that it would be impossible....
I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons and do what is right for her AND my family!
Leaning towards the surgery at this point...

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I worried about the same thing when I was trying to make a decision to spay Cricket. She is nearing a year and a half now and is getting spayed next Monday. I'm nervous about it and it will be interesting to see if she has any changes. Making the decision to go ahead and spay her was a hard decision for me. I wanted to keep her intact as long as possible, but with as often as she is out in public with me it makes more sense for me to go ahead and alter her. I work at a dog daycare and there are tons of altered females here that show no signs of aggression. I think it is really going to depend on the individual dog.

Taqroy

I'd wonder if the people whose dogs had behavior changes had their dogs spayed young and it was just the behavioral changes they'd normally have gone through anyway as they aged?
I've wondered this too. Not so much in the cases of older dogs but in the 6 month to 2 range. I noticed no difference when Mu got spayed - even though she developed reactivity shortly thereafter I know the cause and it had nothing to do with spaying. However, her personality changed a TON from 6 months to now (mostly for the better lol).

kady05

Kady-- your pits are STUNNING!!
I just love the way my pups personality is.... I would never want her to change because of a surgery.

Honestly, I've never seen a dogs personality change negatively after being altered. I've only seen and heard of positive things!

Well, I know on my experience my girl was 6 years and suffered extreme changes.

To be honest I actually always assumed the opposite from you and figured either people attributed changes in dogs spayed young to growing up and/or if spayed young you never do get to find out what spaying effected because they were altered right from the start, therefor never changed.

Members online

No members online now.