Socially confident breeds

Catsi

Gee, I really love poodles, but for some reason they always seem like a bit too much 'dog' for me if that makes sense. I don't know if I have just met some really full on individuals or whether my perception is fair. But there is nothing more lovely than a poodle moving in that, 'I love myself' kind of way. They just seem to light up.

What about the utility gundogs? Such as Vizslas and GSPs? Or Springers?
Setters and Retrievers do strike me as typically confident for sure.

Unfortunately, I have only met two Koolies and both were really shy. I'm not saying it is indicative of the breed at all, but it goes to show how important first impressions are sometimes, as the meeting certainly left me thinking that they were anything but a confident breed. Having said that, I would be interested in meeting more in the future and two isn't exactly a fair sample to go on. They were quite possibly from the same breeding as well.

Saeleofu

I've never really thought of poodles as a lot of dog. Of course there are differences within the breed, though, as there is with any breed.

Most BYB collies I've met have NO drive to speak of, and a couple have very little in their brains it seems. Others are masterminds and WILL find something to do if unoccupied. Logan is a perfect balance to me - enough drive, but not over-the-top, frield with absolutely anything he meets, from dogs to people to small animals. And enough in his head that he's an absolute joy to train. He's a bright dog, and it does kind of suck when your dog outsmarts you, but he's not intent on figuring out EVERYTHING like some dogs are...at least not anymore. I still don't know how he learned to open doorknobs, but at least he doesn't use that power for evil anymore ;)

Regardless of breed, find a GOOD breeder, and get to know their dogs and their lines. They should be honest about what you can expect from one of their dogs. If possible find someone who does early neurological stimulation and socializes the crap out of their dogs. You can find a dog that suits your needs in a large variety of breeds, but in the end it's less about the breed and more about the breeding/raising.

Last edited:

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
You can find a dog that suits your needs in a large variety of breeds, but in the end it's less about the breed and more about the breeding/raising..
This is a great point. I'm not saying the breed doesn't matter, because it does, A LOT. There are many major and fine points that are often determined by breed. But, like Saeleofu says, variations within breeds often come down the individual animal's breeding more than anything.

For example, Catsi says she's met two extremely shy Koolies, and I don't doubt it. However, Traveler's (notable) breeder is known for producing outgoing, social, stable, adaptable dogs.

I also was never interested in Cardis at all, but Keeva's particular litter + the fact that her breeder had done just about everything to encourage her drive and spunk (instead of repressing it, as many in the breed would have), made her a good choice for me.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Gee, I really love poodles, but for some reason they always seem like a bit too much 'dog' for me if that makes sense. I don't know if I have just met some really full on individuals or whether my perception is fair. But there is nothing more lovely than a poodle moving in that, 'I love myself' kind of way. They just seem to light up.

Unfortunately, I have only met two Koolies and both were really shy. I'm not saying it is indicative of the breed at all, but it goes to show how important first impressions are sometimes, as the meeting certainly left me thinking that they were anything but a confident breed. Having said that, I would be interested in meeting more in the future and two isn't exactly a fair sample to go on. They were quite possibly from the same breeding as well.

Every poodle I know has a ton of "UP!" They're very excitable, happy, bouncy, go-go-go and naughty at times in a comedic way. I can totally see where they would be extremely frustrating.

IME Vizslas and GSP are both friendly and can be "disinterested" in strangers. They can be a bit snarky and "easily annoyed" by other dogs but not overtly DA. The ones I know are always so busy focusing on a ball, bumper, treat, etc that they can't be bothered with external entities.

I have known way too many DA springers, every time I see one now I get a bit on edge. Arnold, my red head, was attacked by three springers at three parks and they were totally unrelated and unprovoked attacks. I'm a bit emotionally scarred, it sucks too they seem like really nice dogs otherwise.

Catsi

This is a great point. I'm not saying the breed doesn't matter, because it does, A LOT. There are many major and fine points that are often determined by breed. But, like Saeleofu says, variations within breeds often come down the individual animal's breeding more than anything.

I definitely agree with this important point. Variation is going to occur within all breeds for sure. I guess I'm trying to get a head start lol. Lots and lots to think about.

Catsi

Every poodle I know has a ton of "UP!" They're very excitable, happy, bouncy, go-go-go and naughty at times in a comedic way. I can totally see where they would be extremely frustrating.

IME Vizslas and GSP are both friendly and can be "disinterested" in strangers. They can be a bit snarky and "easily annoyed" by other dogs but not overtly DA. The ones I know are always so busy focusing on a ball, bumper, treat, etc that they can't be bothered with external entities.

I have known way too many DA springers, every time I see one now I get a bit on edge. Arnold, my red head, was attacked by three springers at three parks and they were totally unrelated and unprovoked attacks. I'm a bit emotionally scarred, it sucks too they seem like really nice dogs otherwise.
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, maybe it's just that poodles are very 'up' dogs that gives me that impression. Absolutely lovely, but maybe I'm not quite the right owner for one. I'd definitely note them down for further research though.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I definitely agree with this important point. Variation is going to occur within all breeds for sure. I guess I'm trying to get a head start lol. Lots and lots to think about.
Nothing wrong with a head start. ;) Your definitely criteria does allow you to rule out some breeds in general.

Now, I live not too far from a working BC breeder with dogs you'd love. Socially stable, quite outgoing, dog neutral unless given a reason not to be. Wouldn't normally list BC's under "socially confident" but there's that variation for you. :)

Catsi

Nothing wrong with a head start. ;) Your definitely criteria does allow you to rule out some breeds in general.

Now, I live not too far from a working BC breeder with dogs you'd love. Socially stable, quite outgoing, dog neutral unless given a reason not to be. Wouldn't normally list BC's under "socially confident" but there's that variation for you. :)
Yes, there will always be those exceptions. I guess really the most important thing is making sure I am 100% comfortable with the breeder and their dogs. My parents' Stafford (who is from a BYB) is absolutely lovely - a really confident dog and not DA. In fact her responses to other dogs are very appropriate, but that's not to say she would not fight back if she had to. I personally wouldn't have her out at the dog park because she plays too rough for most dogs and is a little too gregarious to manage safely (in other words, she would be a dog park pest if left to her own devices) BUT she is also a dog that I have no fear walking in the neighbourhood. If a dog runs up and is friendly, she is fine with them. If they are aren't friendly, yes I worry. But I'd be worried anyway... whether my dog was DA or not. So I guess a non-DA Stafford can be an option. It just goes back to increasing my chances of getting the 'right' dog I guess.

elegy

overdogged
I find the majority of Labs to be.... aggressively friendly. Oh sure they love other dogs. Love love love hi hi hi but they are very rude about it and do not heed warnings or respect the space-increasing body language of other dogs. So while they are not aggressive themselves, they seem to bring out aggression in other dogs because they make them so uncomfortable.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So the breeds that come to mind for me are huskies, sammies, retrievers, beagles, bassets, shibas, papillons, frenchies, pekes, cavaliers, greyhounds, poodles, bichons, and clumbers.
In my experience paps can be a touch on the reactive side. But I agree they're usually not DA. I've only ever met one really dog aggressive papillon.

They're also not the best when it comes to very forward and in your face types of dogs. I guess it really just depends on what you mean by 'socially confident'. If you're looking for a dog not out to pick fights and that can easily ignore other dogs, they'd be great. If you're looking for a dog that delights in playing with all kinds of other dogs, then not so much.

Last edited:

Aleron

I would think if Poodles are too much dog for you, you probably shouldn't even consider Viszlas or GSPs (or Weims). IME those three require tons of socialization, are super active, destructive and can tend towards having issues like separation anxiety and phobias. They always can tend to be standoffish or guardy or shy with strangers. Not to say all are like that at all. I have met some that were easier than others. A lot depends on the individual dog and what is done with them from puppyhood on but they are not what I would consider easy breeds.

The right Springer could work well, you just have to be really picky about the dog you get. There are also Welsh Springer Spaniels, which I haven't met a lot of but the ones I've been around have all been nice, friendly dogs that seem to be pretty "easy". Most of the setter and retriever breeds could fit very well. However, the lines selectively bred for high level field trial competitions can be "a lot of dog" - extremely high energy and harder temperaments. Luckily there's lots of lines to choose from in many of the breeds :)

Locke

Poodles are very UP dogs, but very adaptable to their person. They are people pleasers through and through, and are so fun. I love poodles!!!!

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, maybe it's just that poodles are very 'up' dogs that gives me that impression. Absolutely lovely, but maybe I'm not quite the right owner for one. I'd definitely note them down for further research though.
If you like the attitude of the poodle, there are also the miniature and the klein sizes (klein is between miniature and standard -basically a smaller standard).

Catsi

If you like the attitude of the poodle, there are also the miniature and the klein sizes (klein is between miniature and standard -basically a smaller standard).
See, I think I really have to meet some more breeds and some more individuals of breeds. Poodles, Brittanies, Springers etc. Truly, my experiences with them are so very limited that I really only have a couple of specimens to go by as examples (and Brittanies I haven't met.) Awesome. :D I'll have to make it my homework!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Every springer I have ever met has been full on. I like energy, but to me they're hyper.

What about matching a specific dog done through a reputable rescue?

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I find the majority of Labs to be.... aggressively friendly. Oh sure they love other dogs. Love love love hi hi hi but they are very rude about it and do not heed warnings or respect the space-increasing body language of other dogs. So while they are not aggressive themselves, they seem to bring out aggression in other dogs because they make them so uncomfortable.
Ain't that the truth, Most labs I know drive Teagan Batty, (mainly one named Bently) and dont heed her greatly shown body language to Eff OFF when she has had enough of them.!!

On the doodle bit, how are poodles? I have actually never met a standard poodle in person. It seems like people are more likely to own mixes than purebreds.
The 2 standards I have and each one I have met have been great with people & other dogs. Very confident, easy to train and truly a joy to have. While they are ready & willing to get up & join in on any activity they are just as willing to settle and snuggle as well.

Members online

No members online now.